War for the Planet of the Apes (4K+3D+2D Blu-ray SteelBook) (HMV Exclusive) [UK]

Jul 13, 2016
United kingdom
Release date: November 27th , 2017
Purchase link: HMV
Price: £24.99

1.jpg

2.jpg
3.jpg
01-397956.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
But who is going to buy the steelbook without the discs and DC codes???(n)

I'm with you on this one. The quality of the steelbook should always be no.1 priority, otherwise why are we in this forum ;). I can't believe people are praising this release when the steel is so bad. No way you can sell the steel on for any real value.

I agree the value here is really in the discs and codes. Maybe someone can varnish the steel and then see how it looks :)

I don't mind the steelbook in hand. The one let down is no title but I can live with that. Easy enough to work out for me as it's the only one without a title!!

SO relieved I cancelled this titleless Microsoft paint art turkey. I actually think this is all some kind of tactic from the studios...
Put out a title less bland 'mondo-esque' Steelbook knowing full well desperate collectors will buy it in fear it's the only steel release it'll get and may sell out.

Hold back better artwork, titles and bonus content/3D/4K for a premium release to be revealed a few months later through a third party small company so you can charge an extortionate licensing fee to them and reap a big cut of the profit.

Not today satan.

I've switched to buying amaray (often with lenti slip cases and far better theatrical artwork) unless I absolutely love the art now. Steelbook prices have crept up from £14 to an average of £23-30 now for a basic steel release, which is outrageous, especially when its WWA printed in bulk bringing the unit cost down to mere pence.

I'd rather go for a good amaray at half the price and wait for a decent release than pay any more of my hard earned cash to the studios for sub par releases. The more people keep buying em the more they'll keep pumping them out.

• Thanks
Reactions: Steelselecta
SO relieved I cancelled this titleless Microsoft paint art turkey. I actually think this is all some kind of tactic from the studios...
Put out a title less bland 'mondo-esque' Steelbook knowing full well desperate collectors will buy it in fear it's the only steel release it'll get and may sell out.

Hold back better artwork, titles and bonus content/3D/4K for a premium release to be revealed a few months later through a third party small company so you can charge an extortionate licensing fee to them and reap a big cut of the profit.

Not today satan.

I've switched to buying amaray (often with lenti slip cases and far better theatrical artwork) unless I absolutely love the art now. Steelbook prices have crept up from £14 to an average of £23-30 now for a basic steel release, which is outrageous, especially when its WWA printed in bulk bringing the unit cost down to mere pence.

I'd rather go for a good amaray at half the price and wait for a decent release than pay any more of my hard earned cash to the studios for sub par releases. The more people keep buying em the more they'll keep pumping them out.
New release films just after a cinema release the steelbooks have not had prices of £14.00 by any retailer in the UK :rofl:
War of the planet of the apes will not be a back catalog release until another 6-12 months

Back catalog steelbook releases prices have been on average £15-16 with some film studio releases but not all
Some back catalog releases was £10 in the days of play.com but that was due to VAT avoidance loophole and when government stopped this loophole play.com retail business closed down.

New release films just after a cinema release the steelbooks have not had prices of £14.00 by any retailer in the UK :rofl:
War of the planet of the apes will not be a back catalog release until another 6-12 months

Back catalog steelbook releases prices have been on average £15-16 with some film studio releases but not all
Some back catalog releases was £10 in the days of play.com but that was due to VAT avoidance loophole and when government stopped this loophole play.com retail business closed down.

Why do some people exist purely on forums to split hairs and pick apart minute details other people say...

When steels first emerged there were new release films for around £13.99/£14.99. I don't believe I specified that was the UK did I? That's still the kind of prices you could get with the exchange rate, though I remember paying £14 for a steel here also. Regardless...

Are you really having such a boring day that you'll quibble with a stranger over a pound?

You're missing my point.

The point is still the same that prices have crept up an incredible amount the past couple of years, when most often you're still getting the same contents as the amaray version, the only difference being the case.

Before you pick that apart, yes I appreciate HMV etc do sometimes include an extra disc (3D most often, occasionally 4K) at which point I don't mind paying a bit extra, but twenty five to thirty quid is still daylight robbery.

Regardless my comment was related to the lack of effort and quality of the artwork, not a debate on pricing. It doesn't matter whether it's £15 or £30 if the art is lacklustre and doesn't feel like a the 'definitive edition' for the film (which after all is what Steelbooks are meant to be) then it's not worth a purchase.

I'm just relieved I cancelled.

Last edited:
Why do some people exist purely on forums to split hairs and pick apart minute details other people say...

When steels first emerged there were new release films for around £13.99/£14.99. I don't believe I specified that was the UK did I? That's still the kind of prices you could get with the exchange rate, though I remember paying £14 for a steel here also. Regardless...

Are you really having such a boring day that you'll quibble with a stranger over a pound?

You're missing my point.

The point is still the same that prices have crept up an incredible amount the past couple of years, when most often you're still getting the same contents as the amaray version, the only difference being the case.

Before you pick that apart, yes I appreciate HMV etc do sometimes include an extra disc (3D most often, occasionally 4K) at which point I don't mind paying a bit extra, but twenty five to thirty quid is still daylight robbery.

Regardless my comment was related to the lack of effort and quality of the artwork, not a debate on pricing. It doesn't matter whether it's £15 or £30 if the art is lacklustre and doesn't feel like a the 'definitive edition' for the film (which after all is what Steelbooks are meant to be) then it's not worth a purchase.

I'm just relieved I cancelled.
Most was £20 or more for new release films as a steelbook back in 2009/2010 etc
Back catalog films are not new releases these yes was £15 to £17 and a few play.com ones £10

Most of the steelbooks in the early days especially from Play and later Zavvi was back catalog films

HMV Steelbook includes 4K UHD/3D/2D Discs is a very good price of only £24.99
The 4K UHD Amaray of War of the Planet of the Apes on it's own cost £20 and that don't include the 3D disc
3D/2D Amaray on it's own cost £20
It would cost you £40 to get both 4K UHD Amaray and 3D Amaray and neither of these are steelbooks

A Premium release if and when released will be £40-£50 or more with 4K UHD from likes of Film Arena/Manta/KimchiDVD etc

Back catalog films are not new releases these yes was £15 to £17 and a few play.com ones £10

Most of the steelbooks in the early days especially from Play and later Zavvi was back catalog films

The 4K UHD Amaray of War of the Planet of the Apes on it's own cost £20 and that don't include the 3D disc
It would cost you £40 to get both 4K UHD Amaray and 3D Amaray and neither of these are steelbooks

A Premium release if and when released will be £40-£50 or more with 4K UHD from likes of Film Arena/Manta/KimchiDVD etc
:sleep:

Believe me, some people buy empty steelbooks if you sell cheap as they usually have the discs

Perhaps the art is the reason this title wasn't released in steelbook form in Canada and the U.S.

The retailers probably said "Uh Thanks. But No Thanks"

So if you're looking to sell an empty steelbook cheap, Canada and the U.S is probably your best bet.
With the slipcover of course.

Again, you've completely missed my point and gone off in another direction.

As I clearly said, whether it's £15 or £30 it's irrelevant if the quality of the artwork is poor.

You obviously don't get it, or choose not to, so no point debating with you on it.

Again, you've completely missed my point and gone off in another direction.

As I clearly said, whether it's £15 or £30 it's irrelevant if the quality of the artwork is poor.

You obviously don't get it, or choose not to, so no point debating with you on it.
I have the steelbook it looks good in the slipcover
Yes could have been better but it's still very good value £24.99

Both UK steelbooks are good value and yes the trilogy steelbook is lot better looking and as a fan of the films both steelbooks where instant purchases along with the other planet of the apes steelbooks in my collection

It's very simple you choose to purchase or not if you like or dislike any steelbook release
If you want to pay £50-£60 for better looking steelbook that's your choice for me it's get them all when it comes to planet of the apes films
24174536_10213841996024641_6118272260834473288_n.jpg

• Thanks
Reactions: ChrisPatt
I still think this is a massive turd :vomit: I struggle to feel enticed even by a fully loaded steelbook when the art is so shockingly bad and frickin' title-less! :facepalm: (Not to mention the dull, flat matte finish :rolleyes:). If I was desperate for all the disks, then maybe I'd bite... but, I'm not ;) I'm also not convinced by the wrap-around j-card either. Easy pass and will save money for the inevitable WEA in all its *glossy glory :cigar: Providing FA don't **** it up again that is... (BR-2049 stylee :cautious:).

*hopefully :angel::D

If you want to pay £50-£60 for better looking steelbook that's your choice for me it's get them all when it comes to planet of the apes films

That's really all you needed to say. getting into arguments with strangers online over pricing structures is so pointless.

Glad you like the steel, each to their own.

• Thanks
Reactions: paulboland