paulboland

Contributor Steels/Arrow
Contributor
Premium Supporter
Sep 10, 2012
Navan/Ireland
Release date: October 29, 2018
Purchase link: Amazon UK - Zavvi - HMV
Price: £28.99 (Amazon) - £34.99 (Zavvi - HMV)
Notes: 3 Discs

11865338-2044608232858599-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I will hold out for a price drop on the Amaray edition. This is too expensive IMO for both Steelbook and Amaray editions.

Latest words from WB regarding availability of the 2001 4K releases:-

"Warner Bros. Home Entertainment has officially delayed the 4K Ultra HD release of 2001: A Space Odyssey from 30th October to 20th November 2018. We suspect it’s just an issue of replication under capacity causing delays in getting enough product finished for street date.
Now, some people are already getting notices from Amazon and Zavvi that their copies have shipped or are about to so this may be one of those situations were product just kind of tumbles out slowly over the next three weeks.
Official street date is now 20th Nov. per WBHE, so adjust your plans accordingly."

Speaking about 4K . . . or more precisely the 4K logo on the spine - it seems they weren't exaggerating its mammoth size on the mock-up and it's quite an eyesore.

Steelbook finish looks underwhelming and for 35 quid a real downer - probably made up for by the stunning quality of the film on the 4K disc though:-
https://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?a=1&d1=12509&d2=12508&s1=124246&s2=124245&l=0&i=1&go=1&x=747&y=194

Latest words from WB regarding availability of the 2001 4K releases:-

"Warner Bros. Home Entertainment has officially delayed the 4K Ultra HD release of 2001: A Space Odyssey from 30th October to 20th November 2018. We suspect it’s just an issue of replication under capacity causing delays in getting enough product finished for street date.
Now, some people are already getting notices from Amazon and Zavvi that their copies have shipped or are about to so this may be one of those situations were product just kind of tumbles out slowly over the next three weeks.
Official street date is now 20th Nov. per WBHE, so adjust your plans accordingly."

Speaking about 4K . . . or more precisely the 4K logo on the spine - it seems they weren't exaggerating its mammoth size on the mock-up and it's quite an eyesore.

Steelbook finish looks underwhelming and for 35 quid a real downer - probably made up for by the stunning quality of the film on the 4K disc though:-
https://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?a=1&d1=12509&d2=12508&s1=124246&s2=124245&l=0&i=1&go=1&x=747&y=194
Warner Bros press release is for USA release.

USA press release has nothing to do with Warner UK release
UK release date is October 29th

Discs in UK/Europe not affected

Last edited:
Amazon UK have debited my card
I expect my order will be dispatched soon
According to my Amazon account, mine is due foe delivery today, even though it has yet to be dispatched. Oh, and I was one of those that received a cancellation email! My copy from HMV was dispatched late last week, though, so I'm expecting delivery either today or tomorrow.

Was never going to order this because of the absurd price they were asking, but I went off the artwork after someone mentioned how it looks like he's in a washing machine lol. The poor finish makes it even worse though. And one of my new pet peeves with 4K steels is the huge logo they use on the spines... it's bigger than the bloody title!

Big "4K UHD" logo not a deal breaker for me . . . not at all in the same league as blank spines or a big ass format logo on the steelbook front - such as on some 3D steelbooks . . . or even - to a lesser extent - thumbnail picture spines.

Clearly spines are v.important as that slither is the only part of the stacked steelbooks visible on most shelves . . . so maybe something more discreet would've been better . . . but I suppose the thinking behind the oversized print is to advertise and drum home the fact that 4K is the new big deal . . . instead of the seemingly logical "4K UHD BD" we have this new style on 2001 which even omits "Blu-ray" unlike on previous 4K WB steelbooks (despite the 1080p Blu-ray inside) . . .
. . . and In case anyone forgets we have "ULTRA" printed in full to remind us that what we are buying will provide us w/ the ultimate viewing experience ...

Probably the worst thing about this "4K ULTRAHD" logo is that it doesn't match previous 4K WB steelbook spines . . .
1540815718481.png
/
1540816418742.png
1540816801832.png
1540818058674.png
1540820087015.png

. . . so if you arrange your steelbooks by studio your WB steels won't have matching logos . . . doesn't affect me personally as I arrange my steelbooks by release date but I find different size / style logos from the same distributor somewhat annoying on Amarays . . . as for example when Disney changed their numbering style on their classics collection (from the gold ovals).

Only one unboxing so far - helpful but maybe not quite as much as it could be . . . helpful enough though to reveal that something is indeed going on with the red parts - spot gloss or metallic reflections? Time will tell.

Last edited:
Reactions: robbodoc
My order is still active, says delivery is still 5-6 November, doesn't say the title is in stock so really have no idea what the hell is going on with this, sounds like a typical WB total **** up and while we are at it lets charge an outlandishly ridiculous price too!

Reactions: nicksmith51
My order is still active, says delivery is still 5-6 November, doesn't say the title is in stock so really have no idea what the hell is going on with this, sounds like a typical WB total **** up and while we are at it lets charge an outlandishly ridiculous price too!
See quote from WB in post no.144.
Seems that there's a stock availability issue . . . bit of a lottery as to when customers are going to get their copies - now or within the next few weeks.
----------------------------------------------------------------
Looks like this could well be another example similar to the IN A QUIET PLACE steelbook where the US 2001 steelbook gets the better finish . . .

Alas, it seems that our steelbook in the UK has suffered a fate similar to these jeans . . . only in reverse:-
1540862247704.png
2001.gif

Still prefer the one we got in the UK from a few years ago:-
1540862868222.png
/
2001 2.gif

Not sure I like the colon in the title . . . looks untidy - not something I've seen on a 2001 steelbook before:-
1540866063587.png
1540863570203.png
1540863493698.png
1540863651705.png

As for the corridor scene (like David's face on the steelbook front): is it really salmon pink on the new disc?
1540865303550.png

• Helpful Post
Reactions: robbodoc
I will hold out for a price drop on the Amaray edition. This is too expensive IMO for both Steelbook and Amaray editions.

Steelbook finish looks underwhelming and for 35 quid a real downer

Was never going to order this because of the absurd price they were asking

sounds like a typical WB total **** up and while we are at it lets charge an outlandishly ridiculous price too!

How come when it was me that hit out at the price I got criticized?! :dunno:

f8e52f34824c584ca3b43d651837e7564268202469170d4ef63fe10e275525a2.jpg

That was the first time I've checked this thread in a while to be honest, so I must've missed your previous post regarding the price. Chances are those who agreed with you decided to stay quiet after seeing how some others reacted to your comments. But oh well, I agree with you anyway... the price for most 4K steels is ridiculous! Whether people openly admit it or not, the proof is there with the lack of sales, since HMV have had to drop the price on a number of their 4K steels lately. And not to mention those Zoom exclusive Jurassic Park steels, which have been reduced/on sale multiple times over the past few months.

Reactions: ChrisIW and Sigill

I think as Noodles just said there are quite a lot of people who aren’t happy with the price. 2001 is a cult film though so you will always get those people who will defend it no matter what the price is! It is a classic and I would have been happier if it was regular pricing. I know it has been remastered but does that justify the price tag, I don’t believe so. I think £24.99 would have been fine but Warner knows how many die hard fans the film has!

I find this entire price discussion a bit tedious tbh. If anybody thinks the item is worth its price - fine, if not, just don't buy it. I love the movie and heard that the 4K quality was supposed to be really good, so I sold my French steelbook edition (identical to the UK one with the nice embossing that I bought for 11€ back in the day) for ~ 25€ on ebay and used that to pay part of the 32 UKP incl. shipping from amazon.co.uk. It was shipped yesterday and hopefully arrives in one piece and if it does, I'll be happy. If I don't like it enough I'll wait for the next one to come out or see if I can potentially double dip down the road. Why there has to erupt an almost existential discussion on purpose and value of this particular steelbook is beyond me....