2001: A Space Odyssey (Blu-ray SteelBook) (Zavvi Exclusive) [UK]

Hooltra

The French Touch
Premium Supporter
Jul 15, 2011
Paris, France
Release date: April 27th, 2015
Purchase link: Zavvi.com (Live at 9 am GMT Sat 2/28)
Price: £14.99

Note: Limited to 2000 copies

2001_21.jpg

2001_31.jpg 2001_4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
To say you don't like it is fine.
But you said it was overrated and you don't understand all the fuss.

I think its Overrated and i still don't understand the fuss about it, perhaps then yes , but now , no not really..................If i spend all of my time looking back i'll forget to look forward.
I remember a quote from Arnold Schwarzenegger about the ground breaking special effects in Terminator 2 , he said words to the effect that from now on everybody is f**** because of what they've put on the screen. Er, not really Arnie.........they take it, improve it and move on with it

I think its Overrated and i still don't understand the fuss about it, perhaps then yes , but now , no not really..................If i spend all of my time looking back i'll forget to look forward.
I remember a quote from Arnold Schwarzenegger about the ground breaking special effects in Terminator 2 , he said words to the effect that from now on everybody is f**** because of what they've put on the screen. Er, not really Arnie.........they take it, improve it and move on with it
Movie are NOT getting better. Technology is. But movies are by and large worse. Go backwards and they incrementally get better. Today's movies can't compete with the 80's, 70's and 60's.
People are now making movies based on their knowledge of...movies.

Movie are NOT getting better..

I didn't say that, don't believe i implied it either, there are plenty of decent movies about but a big drawback is that todays Movie Executive (much like every other corporate soul less fckwit) appears to be driven by net commercial worth and nothing else. Takes a brave man to invest in a movie thats not a known quantity, hence the never ending succession of sequels and the obsession with finding a Tentpole Franchise.
That's what i believe is affecting the movie industry, the race to generic vanilla blandness and an acute aversion to risk is the biggest threat to quality character driven movies.
Every now and then i remind myself of what Movies are all about, last night was JAWS...........................that did it for me, timeless and immortalised. I daresay , other people feel the same about 2001.

Reactions: SteelbookGenius666
I didn't say that, don't believe i implied it either, there are plenty of decent movies about but a big drawback is that todays Movie Executive (much like every other corporate soul less fckwit) appears to be driven by net commercial worth and nothing else. Takes a brave man to invest in a movie thats not a known quantity, hence the never ending succession of sequels and the obsession with finding a Tentpole Franchise.
That's what i believe is affecting the movie industry, the race to generic vanilla blandness and an acute aversion to risk is the biggest threat to quality character driven movies.
Every now and then i remind myself of what Movies are all about, last night was JAWS...........................that did it for me, timeless and immortalised. I daresay , other people feel the same about 2001.
Great movie. I wish people would stop calling it a horror movie. It isn't. It isn't even really designed to be frightening. It is a great rousing adventure. My top five includes what I consider Spielberg's finest picture, and "his 2001"- Close Encounters. A seemless merging of cutting edge effects and a real character-based narrative.
The dazzling visuals SERVE the narrative, and not vice versa. Between CE, Poltergeist, and (for some) Goonies- is it possible that some of Spielberg's best stuff were the stories HE thought up? (His ONLY screenplay was Close Encounters and he wrote the stories for the other two). And why did he never write his own material again?

Just been brought to my attention this little beauty sold out for a good while at Zavvi but the Amazon Italian edition is available at the moment for EUR 11,89 (though you'll need to pad out your basket to EUR 19 to qualify for free shipping).

Reactions: SteelbookGenius666
I might have to track this down, saw this with son yesterday at the cinema and we loved it still holds up after 50 years.