Basil The Great Mouse Detective (Blu-ray SteelBook) (Zavvi Exclusive) [UK]

paulboland

Contributor Steels/Arrow
Contributor
Premium Supporter
Sep 10, 2012
Navan/Ireland
Release date: November 5, 2018
Purchase link: Zavvi (Pre-order October 13, at 6 PM UK time)
Price: £18.99

43694596_10155486462355146_7188007749907644416_n.jpg

11912758-1964617561447267.jpg 11912758-2114617561677169.jpg 11912758-1764617561752268.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Twinbossing has two levels of embossing, creating 3 different layers. Like on Maleficent, the Horns and title are the same level as the frame, 1st layer. Then the whole rest of the image is debossed, 2nd layer. And then the face is debossed to make the 3rd layer.

Looking at the TGMD pics, it looks like the ear and the bottom and the lantern are slightly debossed from the outer frame, and then the text in the magnifying glass is debossed from that layer.
Sure, that's what I thought, though I think of it differently (in the Maleficent example I see it as horns and border embossed and face debossed). But I'm not seeing that on virkia's examples so I was asking in case I was not identifying the "twinbossing" correctly. I only see 2 different levels on those, whereas on Maleficent it's very obviously three.

• Thanks
Reactions: dfoles
I've always taken twinbossing to mean a mixture of embossing and debossing such as on the examples listed in my previous post . . . raised designs with recessed/sunken parts:-

1) INFINITY WAR - Thanos embossed / jewels debossed
2) DEADPOOL - "D" (on both sides) and title embossed / eye debossed on both sides
3) GANG RELATED - badge embossed on back / "US" in centre of badge debossed
4) GREAT MOUSE DETECTIVE - characters embossed / title debossed

Regarding different levels of embossing - that's simply called multi-level embossing and is not related to debossing and is as rare as twinbossing on steelbooks and more likely to be seen on futurepaks.

I suppose to be strictly accurate though I have to take into account how the manufacturer describes the term in their listing of for example MOJIN: THE LOST LEGEND
"The Lost Legend SteelBook® edition. This beautiful edition is twinbossed to get a dramatic effect in artwork: The skeleton eyes are debossed giving them extra depth, while the golden title treatment is embossed."

Here the embossed title speaks for itself but the debosseed 'eyes' are not part of the embossed artwork such as in examples 1 - 4 above:-
1541384287966.png
1541384358710.png

I've always taken twinbossing to mean a mixture of embossing and debossing such as on the examples listed in my previous post . . . raised designs with recessed/sunken parts:-

1) INFINITY WAR - Thanos embossed / jewels debossed
2) DEADPOOL - "D" (on both sides) and title embossed / eye debossed on both sides
3) GANG RELATED - badge embossed on back / "US" in centre of badge debossed
4) GREAT MOUSE DETECTIVE - characters embossed / title debossed

Regarding different levels of embossing - that's simply called multi-level embossing and is not related to debossing and is as rare as twinbossing on steelbooks and more likely to be seen on futurepaks.

I suppose to be strictly accurate though I have to take into account how the manufacturer describes the term in their listing of for example MOJIN: THE LOST LEGEND
"The Lost Legend SteelBook® edition. This beautiful edition is twinbossed to get a dramatic effect in artwork: The skeleton eyes are debossed giving them extra depth, while the golden title treatment is embossed."

Here the embossed title speaks for itself but the debosseed 'eyes' are not part of the embossed artwork such as in examples 1 - 4 above:-
That Mojin steel is twinbossed IMO, but it's also quite different from examples 1-4 in your list.

Take the plane where "the lost legend" is written as the reference plane, plane 0. "Mojin" and the border are embossed from the reference plane, plane +1. The eyes are debossed from the reference plane, plane -1.
Now do the same for your other examples, I'll do it for Infinity War. Thanos and border are embossed from the reference plane, plane +1. The stones are debossed from that embossed plane, not from the reference plane, plane 0. That's it, there's only steel on 2 planes, not 3. Unless I'm missing something you're seeing.

That Mojin steel is twinbossed IMO, but it's also quite different from examples 1-4 in your list.

Take the plane where "the lost legend" is written as the reference plane, plane 0. "Mojin" and the border are embossed from the reference plane, plane +1. The eyes are debossed from the reference plane, plane -1.
Now do the same for your other examples, I'll do it for Infinity War. Thanos and border are embossed from the reference plane, plane +1. The stones are debossed from that embossed plane, not from the reference plane, plane 0. That's it, there's only steel on 2 planes, not 3. Unless I'm missing something you're seeing.

Yes, I admitted in my post that the 'bossing on MOJIN is different . . .
"Here the embossed title speaks for itself but the debosseed 'eyes' are not part of the embossed artwork such as in examples 1 - 4 above"
. . . but I personally still consider the term twinbossing to apply no matter that the debossed parts are not part of the embossed parts.

. . . but I personally still consider the term twinbossing to apply no matter that the debossed parts are not part of the embossed parts.
Well then, with that criterion there are many steelbooks that would qualify as twinbossing.

That’s your choice, but technically twinbossing is a term that used to be on the Steelbook.com website that specified what it is. There are some great examples of normal embossing, such as The Green Hornet, the asian Lion King from a few years ago, Jumanji, the international Infinity Wars, etc. but they only have two levels of depth. The base level that is the edge frame and the non-embossed areas, and then the embossed level where things are pushed in. Twinbossing just takes that model and adds an extra level of embossing to create a third level. That is twinbossing, the others are just great uses of standard embossing.

• Thanks
Reactions: willbar84
This Steelbook shows what can be done by Disney, superb.
Why then are the current releases such as frozen not given the same treatment
The Rescuers is a great steel also, great colours, great embossing

• Thanks
Reactions: DMD4k
We can’t have it all. Such a lovely steel and near perfect if the title was right

And I won’t listen to anyone regarding the correct title. Your buying it from the U.K. therefore it should be Basil

• Thanks
Reactions: DMD4k
As twin-bossing is a made-up word anyway I think it's not unreasonable to call any steelbook with both embossing and debossing a steelbook with twinbossing. . . . if others choose to consider that there are only 2 UK twinbossed steelbooks out of some 1,300 released over the past 10 1/2 years then that's up to them and totally fine too.

As twin-bossing is a made-up word anyway I think it's not unreasonable to call any steelbook with both embossing and debossing a steelbook with twinbossing. . . . if others choose to consider that there are only 2 UK twinbossed steelbooks out of some 1,300 released over the past 10 1/2 years then that's up to them and totally fine too.
But, but... debossing isn't the same as a lack of embossing. Why do you want to complicate things?

• Thanks
Reactions: willbar84
Maybe time to re-title this thread THE GREAT MOUSE DETECTIVE as that is the confirmed title of the steelbook (exactly as in the OP).

Apart from the title the steelbook looks lovely with the complete front artwork embossed and the title de-bossed within the magnifying glass . . .
. . . only niggle would be the 'creases' - instead of a smooth transition - where the artwork (Basil's ear and the lantern) meet the framing border. On second inspection I suspect the reason for that is because the magnifying glass is slightly more embossed than the rest.View attachment 400486
looks great, thanks for the pic's, but am actually super gutted(way more than I should be) about the title

- can you confirm if the disc is the UK version (with Basil) please?
Am sure there were a few other differences with UK vs Non-UK versions, within the movie (cant for the life of me recall just yet)

Lucky you. Have to admit this is building into one serious steelbook collection. I honestly don't think we're ever going to see the likes again.
I recall, years back, (I want to say 10 but I cant recall when Sweeney Todd steel came out in the UK) I started importing the Disney steels from the USA - Sleeping Beauty, Snow White etc and I recall looking at my Disney classic collection of maybe 30-40 ameray(many of whcih I imported from the US as the UK had yet to see a release, or like with Chicken Little, UK never got the 3D disc), but I remember then, wishing to have ALL classics in steel and accepting that it was never going to happen.
fastfoward to now where I have very few ameray's left - love it. So close to completing the set and yes, its a mighty fine collection indeed(even if I do have mixed spines with some Korean, Taiwan, USA, and UK releases)

Now that’s some nice embossing. Also, I’ve updated the thread title to reflect the actual title on the release.
@dfoles
Zavvi website listing is Basil The Great Mouse Detective not The Great Mouse Detective

Back of the Jcard mentions basil the great mouse detective disney #26

Thread title goes by retailer website listing has not what the title is in the front of the steelbook
It still mentions basil on the jcard
Blu-ray disc inside the steelbook has Basil The Great Mouse Detective as it's the same disc previously released in the UK

OP title back to Zavvi website listing
agreed it should have Basil in the title as any search with or without that word would still bring up this thread - but maybe add the US title in brackets? ir mention it in the OP for our non-UK ninjas?

thanks for the pics

Yay, Basil's on the disc... better than nothing.
Great looking steel, will be putting in an order soon :D
should mean the UK title card when the movie starts too

looks like the UK pressing will be on the disc at least...I think I can deal with the wrong title if the Disc and movie is still the UK version I grew up on :)

My copy still hasn't turned up despite the other one arriving on Saturday
I've only had one arrive also....no sign of the other today which is worrying me now...

agreed it should have Basil in the title as any search with or without that word would still bring up this thread - but maybe add the US title in brackets? ir mention it in the OP for our non-UK ninjas?

Yeah, when I dropped it from the thread title I made sure to tag the thread with the word Basil for those who would search that term. I’m not too fussed if the thread has the wrong title on it since the Steelbook itself has the right one :D

Yeah, when I dropped it from the thread title I made sure to tag the thread with the word Basil for those who would search that term. I’m not too fussed if the thread has the wrong title on it since the Steelbook itself has the right one :D
BOTH titles have 'the great mouse detective' in it so searches should be fine :)

but as for the arguement over right/wrong title...its a balls up of a release. The steel has 'Basil' missing, but the disc and UK (retailer origin) title includes Basil....bloody Disney is :p

• Haha
Reactions: dfoles
BOTH titles have 'the great mouse detective' in it so searches should be fine :)

but as for the arguement over right/wrong title...its a balls up of a release. The steel has 'Basil' missing, but the disc and UK (retailer origin) title includes Basil....bloody Disney is :p
The steelbook and Blu-ray Disc is from Disney UK
Zavvi have nothing to do with the steelbook design or the manufacture of Blu-ray disc itself
All artwork design is done by the film studio/film distributor

All UK Blu-ray discs come from UK film distributors not retailers
Retailers just sell items provided to them by the distributor

UK it's Basil the Great Mouse Detective and is why the UK release has this title on the disc inside the steelbook

Disney UK Classics Canon #26 is listed officially as Basil The Great Mouse Detective
USA Disney canon titles does not apply if different to UK Canon
This is a UK release not a USA release so USA title does not apply for the Blu-ray Disc itself

What counts is what title is printed on the Blu-ray Disc not the steelbook itself

USA the film is called The Great Mouse Detective and when playing the UK disc that is what you see as the title
Sometimes Disney edit films on DVD and Blu-ray to have country specific titles when you play the disc but for this film that was not done.

As this steelbook is a UK release yes Disney UK should have of had Basil in the title on the steelbook IMO when doing the artwork design but it's the Disc title itself what counts and is correct as per Disney UK Canon

What counts is what title is printed on the Blu-ray Disc not the steelbook itself

USA the film is called The Great Mouse Detective and when playing the UK disc that is what you see as the title
Sometimes Disney edit films on DVD and Blu-ray to have country specific titles when you play the disc but for this film that was not done.

So are you saying that the title on the Steelbook and on the DVD/Blu-ray menu is the US Title, but physically printed on the disc is the UK Title? I feel like majority rules should prevail, 2/3’s using the US Title should dictate that’s the proper title for this release.

But that’s just my opinion. And I’m being silly.

So are you saying that the title on the Steelbook and on the DVD/Blu-ray menu is the US Title, but physically printed on the disc is the UK Title? I feel like majority rules should prevail, 2/3’s using the US Title should dictate that’s the proper title for this release.

But that’s just my opinion. And I’m being silly.
No USA Disney title does not apply if UK title is different as listed per UK Disney Canon
Official title in UK is Basil the Mouse Detective and is why that title is printed on the DVD Discs and Blu-ray Discs
What counts is what is printed on the disc itself be it a DVD or a Blu-ray

Disney UK when designing this steelbook should of had Basil in the title on the steelbook and was likely done by someone who was not aware of the differences between USA and UK.

USA Disney Canon list of films titles does not apply to UK on a few releases and often causes confusion to some

Some USA Disney classic films are not part of the Disney UK canon and some have different titles

Some UK Disney releases will have USA title on disc menu and some will have been edited to show UK title in the opening credits or disc menu

Reactions: RyanD