Basil The Great Mouse Detective (Blu-ray SteelBook) (Zavvi Exclusive) [UK]

paulboland

Contributor Steels/Arrow
Contributor
Premium Supporter
Sep 10, 2012
Navan/Ireland
Release date: November 5, 2018
Purchase link: Zavvi (Pre-order October 13, at 6 PM UK time)
Price: £18.99

43694596_10155486462355146_7188007749907644416_n.jpg

11912758-1964617561447267.jpg 11912758-2114617561677169.jpg 11912758-1764617561752268.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
As a UK release the artwork should look like this with proper UK title:-
1540909157932.png

Also . . .
1) Inspiration for BASIL, THE GREAT MOUSE DETECIVE was the late and great BASIL RATHBONE aka the most famous screen Sherlock Holmes (whose voice, according to Wikipedia, is the voice of Holmes sampled in this film nineteen years after his death).

2) Based on the children's book
1540908078741.png

3) As per the original UK quad (and European) posters w/ BIG print Basil:-
1540908801494.png
/
1540908920255.png
1540908950463.png

4) As noted previously, all UK (and elsewhere in Europe) home video releases read BASIL, THE GREAT MOUSE DETECTIVE.
EUROPE
From VHS ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- to Blu-ray:-
1540908595976.png
1540908661171.png
/
1540909017613.png

US:-
1540908723068.png

I'm more interested in what appears on-screen. While it may well have been marketed as 'Basil', it's not called that on the actual movie is it, even in the UK?

I hate it when movies get re-titled, often to match later sequels on DVD and Blu-ray. It's...

Raiders of the Lost Ark, not Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark
First Blood, not Rambo: First Blood
The Marsupials: The Howling III, not Howling III
The Final Conflict, not Omen III The Final Conflict

And so on and so forth.

Just a heads up. This and Rescuers 2 will start being charged for soon.
could have swore these were two weeks apart...one on 19th and on 5th

It may have been answered before, but why have they taken "Basil" off the title? The blu-ray amaray and all releases before it have Basil on.
Is it a European thing? If so, Brexit couldn't come sooner!!!! ;)
I wasn't judging... but it is funny how many Brits confuse Europe with the European Union. After Brexit you might not be a part of the EU but unless the British isles float away to the Americas you're still very much European.
But back to the topic at hand, the official title in Spain is "Basil, el ratón superdetective", which translates to "Basil, the superdetective mouse", which is pretty much the same as your title in the UK.

Brit's dont confuse things, we just dont feel European despite the fact that geographically our small isle has been grouped into the continent of Europe.
We are part of Europe in trade and on map's only. We are British, or scotish, irish, welsh, then british then at a push European..) but I've yet to meet a fellow brit who refers to themself as European. Its just not the general concensus, socially, over here. So depending on context, no we are not European but yes we belong to the Union(currently) and the continent - geddit :)

As for the title, am going to be so petty and complain to Zavvi if the correct 'Basil' title isnt even on the j-card (riles me more than it should sure, but its bad enough we get a lazy re-press of The Rescuers Down Under but this too?! urgh)

Reactions: DrH and davhyl
Brit's dont confuse things, we just dont feel European despite the fact that geographically our small isle has been grouped into the continent of Europe.
We are part of Europe in trade and on map's only. We are British, or scotish, irish, welsh, then british then at a push European..) but I've yet to meet a fellow brit who refers to themself as European. Its just not the general concensus, socially, over here. So depending on context, no we are not European but yes we belong to the Union(currently) and the continent - geddit :)
So basically like any other country belonging to the European continent lol

So basically like any other country belonging to the European continent lol
um, no.
many mainland Europeans consider themselves as such. Brits dont.

A French national may consider themselves French and/or European, being born in France or Europe.
An English person is English or British, being born in England or the UK. Being European is not even on a brit's radar as we do not consider ourselves as European in any way. Being a seperate island from the rest of Europe might have something to do with it, plus we retained our own currency etc

Call it national/social psychology or whatever, but a person from UK does not consider themselves living in Europe - its a seperate entity of which we are currently in union with.

um, no.

A French national may consider themselves French and/or European, being born in France or Europe.
An English person is English or British, being born in England or the UK. Being European is not even on a brit's radar as we do not consider ourselves as European in any way. Being a seperate island from the rest of Europe might have something to do with it, plus we retained our own currency etc

Call it national/social psychology or whatever, but a person from UK does not consider themselves living in Europe - its a seperate entity of which we are currently in union with.
So I was quite right in saying it was funny how many Brits are confused about Europe, the EU, and how any of it relates to them. Your last message is proof enough. It's just a big fail. You are not in union with Europe. You are and will always be part of Europe unless you motorise those islands and sail away to the Americas. You confuse Europe with the EU, willing or unwillingly, it doesn't matter.
How you feel about it doesn't even matter, you could feel Martian, that wouldn't change a thing, the British Isles are part of Europe, making its natives European, whether they feel European or not.
What you meant was you were (still are) in union with the European Union. The European Union is not the same thing as Europe.

So I was quite right in saying it was funny how many Brits are confused about Europe, the EU, and how any of it relates to them. Your last message is proof enough. It's just a big fail. You are not in union with Europe. You are and will always be part of Europe unless you motorise those islands and sail away to the Americas. You confuse Europe with the EU, willing or unwillingly, it doesn't matter.
How you feel about it doesn't even matter, you could feel Martian, that wouldn't change a thing, the British Isles are part of Europe, making its natives European, whether they feel European or not.
What you meant was you were (still are) in union with the European Union. The European Union is not the same thing as Europe.
I meant exactly what I said, but it seems you who are confused - if you care to re-read my prior messages you'll see I even said its more social consensus in terms of identity, based on our long history(or ruling half the world as the UK), that is entirely separate from our Union status(which by the way was a by product of WW2)

I'm not European, just like a Canadian is not American despite being part of the continent of North America - there are some that assume they are American purely by way of both Canada and the USA being in North America - see?

Only difference is many mainland European countries DO identify as being European, regardless of EU status.

There is a reason we were known as the gateway TO Europe, not part of Europe.

lastly, dont presume to tell me what I mean or put words in my mouth. If you dont understand what am saying then I can only assume you are not from UK or Europe as from experience its the outsiders that confuse things - a country and continent are not the same or interchangeable things.

all that said - I reiterate, this is a UK release, not European.
BUT, depending what we see on the disc, this may change. I have a feeling its a generic release due to the title, and will likely be a repress of the USA disc like we got with TRDU, hence the incorrect title for a British release/retailer

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: DMD4k
I meant exactly what I said, but it seems you who are confused - if you care to re-read my prior messages you'll see I even said its more social consensus in terms of identity, based on our long history(or ruling half the world as the UK), that is entirely separate from our Union status(which by the way was a by product of WW2)

I'm not European, just like a Canadian is not American despite being part of the continent of North America - there are some that assume they are American purely by way of both Canada and the USA being in North America - see?

Only difference is many mainland European countries DO identify as being European, regardless of EU status.

There is a reason we were known as the gateway TO Europe, not part of Europe.

lastly, dont presume to tell me what I mean or put words in my mouth. If you dont understand what am saying then I can only assume you are not from UK or Europe as from experience its the outsiders that confuse things - a country and continent are not the same or interchangeable things.

all that said - I reiterate, this is a UK release, not European.
BUT, depending what we see on the disc, this may change. I have a feeling its a generic release due to the title, and will likely be a repress of the USA disc like we got with TRDU, hence the incorrect title for a British release/retailer
Most of your message is wrong and nonsensical, my original message on the subject was just a "footnote", you've turned it into a UK vs EU kind of thing and it's irrelevant. Like I said, you can feel Martian for all I care, that doesn't make you one. You tried to educate me on how Brits, speaking for all of them?, are not confused about Europe and the EU, yet went on to confuse them both in your message, that's what I found funny. You're obviously quite wrong and you seem set in your ways so as I don't feel like talking to a brick wall I'll just leave it at that. Ignorance is bliss.

I wish we could Brexit the discussion about UK vs. EU and get back to talking about how awesome this release is going to be.

I just can't wait to finally have [Basil] The Great Mouse Detective in my collection. Was one of my absolute favorites as a kid.

• Thanks
Reactions: DMD4k
Separated at birth (lol) - Basil of Baker Street and Dr. Dawson ------------------------------------------vs. --------------------------------------------- Basil Rathbone and Dr. Watson.
1541168833420.png
1541168772741.png

RE: BASIL RATHBONE: shadow cameo + voice recording from "The Adventures of the Red-Headed League" (1966)
1541170325095.png

RE: TITLE -
"Led by focus group logic, Eisner decreed that the project's working title Basil Of Baker Street was “too British” for American audiences and changed the title to The Great Mouse Detective, with Basil as a prefix in international territories."

Absolutely my last word on the title debacle. Honest guv . . . or at least until the steelbook arrives tomorrow.

• Informative
Reactions: yeslek and dfoles
I wish we could Brexit the discussion about UK vs. EU and get back to talking about how awesome this release is going to be.

I just can't wait to finally have [Basil] The Great Mouse Detective in my collection. Was one of my absolute favorites as a kid.
I tried getting it back on track in my last reply.....

Am not sure its going to that great, personally.
The name issue really bugs me

um, no.

Speak for yourself. Some of us aren't idiots.

There is no need for name calling. Having just jumped in here to read the last page its all really a spat not needed.

I get the sentiments from both sides, but over here across the pond .... No one in USA, Canada, or Mexico calls themselves North Americans tho its the continent we are all on. We are Americans, Canadians, and Mexicans.

So let's not all fuss about technicalities.

Like @dfoles I grew up on this one as well. I didnt watch it as much as others, but I did enough to buy this! I remember renting it from blockbuster on the white clamshell case as a kid. :)

Let's please keep it back on topic or I'll just lock the thread for a few days for everyone to take a breather.

Maybe time to re-title this thread THE GREAT MOUSE DETECTIVE as that is the confirmed title of the steelbook (exactly as in the OP).

Apart from the title the steelbook looks lovely with the complete front artwork embossed and the title de-bossed within the magnifying glass . . .
. . . only niggle would be the 'creases' - instead of a smooth transition - where the artwork (Basil's ear and the lantern) meet the framing border. On second inspection I suspect the reason for that is because the magnifying glass is slightly more embossed than the rest.
20181103_065316 (1).jpg

Last edited:
Lucky you. Have to admit this is building into one serious steelbook collection. I honestly don't think we're ever going to see the likes again.