Black Hawk Down (Blu-ray SteelBook) (Kimchivdvd Exclusive No.32) [Korea]

Mar 21, 2013
South Korea
Release date: March 29, 2016
Purchase link: Black Hawk Down - Pre-order March 11 at 2 PM (Korea time) - Timezone converter HERE
Price: $34.99
Note: 2,000 Copies + Numbered Sticker

12794677_1841085699451972_7802872983350052910_o.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Starting to wonder if there are agreements for other releases they locked in and had to take these ones on? Is there any major films coming up on Blu-ray that are the same studio as these films?

• Informative
Reactions: jailbird_joey
This movie was released on BD in the early days of the format with MPEG-2 encode. I was wondering if this release uses the same outdated disc, or a good hint for a new 4k master to come in US/EU as well.
Additionally, a newer encode with does exist: the Japanese release used the same master (I guess), but with the newer AVC codec.

• Informative
Reactions: jailbird_joey
Not a fan of these barebones releases. If you are going to charge top prices then you should get decent extras. 6 art cards thrown in isn't much of an extra. Kimchi used to do proper full packages.
I hope this'll have the MPEG-4 AVC video codec with a high bitrate, and not the inferior MPEG-2 one, and non-SDH English subtitles would be nice.

There is nothing wrong with the high bit rate MPEG-2 encode. A and B comparison with the AVC German release shows almost no difference.

There is nothing wrong with the high bit rate MPEG-2 encode. A and B comparison with the AVC German release shows almost no difference.

I think your right. Comparison shots can be found on avs forum

The AVC shots have slightly darker blacks and the color is a bit different, but it's all barely noticeable (especially when the image is actually moving)

Last edited by a moderator:
Same Steelbook as the play version which I already have in my collection

Not enough extras items to make me double dip

Another Kimchi release with no booklet again (n)

For those who don't have the play steelbook this would be a nice release

Fantastic Film and brilliant acting
Blu-ray is good but is missing some decent extras that was in the 3 Disc DVD special edition

If this had of been new WEA artwork for the steelbook and included a booklet and other items I would have been interested
Seriously?
Was looking to get this for my other half as he love those movie an still has the triple disc did set.
Any idea what extras are missing or carried over?

Seriously?
Was looking to get this for my other half as he love those movie an still has the triple disc did set.
Any idea what extras are missing or carried over?
The Blu-ray includes this extra from the DVD special edition
The Essence of Combat: Making Black Hawk Down (151 min) 6 parts documentary
  • Blu-ray exclusive Blu-Wizard" enhancement (customize how you watch the special features... in this case, the above 6-part documentary

The Essence of Combat: Making Black Hawk Down
    This is a very good documentary and very detailed

Its missing the following DVD extras from the 3 disc special edition/deluxe edition
  • Image And Design" featurettes:
  • Designing Mogadishu
  • Jerry Bruckheimer's Photo Album
    Photo Galleries
    Production Design Archive
    Ridleygrams
    - Storyboards
    - Title Design And Exploration
  • 8 alternate and deleted scenes
  • Historical Archives" featurettes:
  • The History Channel Presents: The True Story Of Black Hawk Down (92m 25s)
  • PBS Presents: Frontline: Ambush In Mogadishu (55m 2s)
  • Target Building Insertion" featurette
  • Q&A Forums" featurettes:
  • BAFTA Awards
  • Motion Picture Editor's Guild
  • American Cinematheque
  • "Gortoz A Ran: J'Attends" music video by Lisa Gerrard and Denez Prigent
    Poster concepts
I would keep the 3 Disc DVD edition if you like this film a lot and are interested in the real story behind black hawk down
Especially for these 2 documentaries
  • The History Channel Presents: The True Story Of Black Hawk Down (92m 25s)
  • PBS Presents: Frontline: Ambush In Mogadishu (55m 2s)

Last edited:
Seoul (South Korea) Friday, March 11, 2016 at 2:00:00 PM KST UTC+9 hours
Chicago (U.S.A. - Illinois) Thursday, March 10, 2016 at 11:00:00 PM CST UTC-6 hours
Los Angeles (U.S.A. - California) Thursday, March 10, 2016 at 9:00:00 PM PST UTC-8 hours
New York (U.S.A. - New York) Midnight between Thursday, March 10, 2016 and Friday, March 11, 2016 EST UTC-5 hours
London (United Kingdom - England) Friday, March 11, 2016 at 5:00:00 AM GMT UTC
Prague (Czech Republic) Friday, March 11, 2016 at 6:00:00 AM CET UTC+1 hour
Rome (Italy) Friday, March 11, 2016 at 6:00:00 AM CET UTC+1 hour
Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia) Friday, March 11, 2016 at 1:00:00 PM MYT UTC+8 hours
Corresponding UTC (GMT) Friday, March 11, 2016 at 05:00:00

• Informative
Reactions: goufcustom
@yeslek The German Blu-ray release from Universum, also available as a Steelbook, includes 'The Essence of Combat: Making Black Hawk Down' documentary that is contained on the Sony Blu-ray. It also includes the cast & crew Interviews, 'Image & Design' featurettes, deleted & alternate scenes, and a 'Behind the Scenes' featurette that are missing from the Sony Blu-ray. The 'Historical Archive' documentaries, however, are not included on the German disc, no doubt due to licensing restrictions on the source material.

In 2006, there was a further single DVD release from Sony which contained the 152 min Extended Cut of the film. That version has, to my knowledge, never received a Blu-ray release.

Reactions: yeslek
New York (U.S.A. - New York) Midnight between Thursday, March 10, 2016 and Friday, March 11, 2016 EST UTC-5 hours

Don't they realize I'm an old man, well I at least feel old. I was falling asleep at my desk for Teh Martian. I may pass on this solely cause of the time.

Same Steelbook as the play version which I already have in my collection

Not enough extras items to make me double dip

Another Kimchi release with no booklet again (n)

For those who don't have the play steelbook this would be a nice release

Fantastic Film and brilliant acting
Blu-ray is good but is missing some decent extras that was in the 3 Disc DVD special edition

If this had of been new WEA artwork for the steelbook and included a booklet and other items I would have been interested
Exactly, not buying this since i have the Play.com version. i just cant justify a double dip just for a slip. (hey, that rhymes) hahahaha.