Black Panther (3D+2D Blu-ray SteelBook) (Blufans Exclusive #48) [China]

Aug 25, 2011
Hong Kong
Release date: Late September 2018 (TBC)
Price: TBA
Note: The special empty box is available only when you buy Box set and 1/4 Slip together.
Group buy: One Click + 1/4 slip COMPLETE PACKAGE
ONE CLICK - DOUBLE LENTICULAR - SINGLE LENTICULAR - FULL SLIP - QUARTER SLIP (Storage box NOT included)

Important Group Buy update
Official update for all group buy participants -

The licensing agreement for Black Panther, for unknown reasons, still has not been resolved and because of this Infinity War will now be being released first (roughly early December time). The licensing agreement for Black Panther is looking to be completed around November time but because of the other releases (infinity War, Greatest Showman, Three Billboards), Black Panther will not ship until January 2019 at the earliest.

Infinity War will ship with the same editions (1/4 slip + Box, One Click, DL, SL and full slip)

Group Buy members, we have a couple of options for you -

1. Transfer
Your Black Panther request will automatically be transferred to the same edition to that of Avengers: Infinity War. You will then be guaranteed a spot for Black Panther, which will be charged for again later on in the year (or potentially January 2019)

2. Refund
You can cancel your Black Panther request and be refunded. Please note that should you change your mind afterwards we cannot allow you to repurchase Black Panther. At this time there will not be a further GB for it (however this may change although not guaranteed)

3. Wait it out
Wait for Black Panther to be released. If you decide to wait it out, as a thank you we will enter you into a HDN sponsored prize draw.

The official GB for Avengers: Infinity War won't be live until November.

I will be sending this as a PM to all participants tomorrow too with the relevant instructions.

Boxset.jpgDL.jpg9a438038gy1ftrqchvap5j21ex0tzqam.jpgFullslip.jpgquarterslip.jpg
3193CF1B-C049-4898-9585-F28D4AD15C96.jpeg
455A29EF-9F42-4F09-A2C4-877D0A5DB6D3.jpeg
SL.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
For me the real enemy of these low batch runs of steelbook releases is the one click.

One clicks tie up 3 or 4 of the steelbooks into a single purchase which if not offered would increase runs on other slips and open up more potential spots in group buys and on direct purchases of steelbooks.

This is an interesting point, as I feel like 1-click were devised to sell extra stock in other territories to support a larger steelbook run when they had no way to sell through a run without them.

NOW. With more collectors in the game, and arguably, maybe the same quantity of items to go around, perhaps there should not be as many 1-click editions.

That's not a HDN problem to solve, but you'd think these limited edition producers would like the stay in the game and not only cater to existing collectors - as one day we likely will all burn out from collecting.

Until recently I thought you could only buy 1 Blufans edition in a GB (misinterpreted the terms and conditions - yes, I read them :happy: The last thing I want is to be banned).
And I was ok with that.

I also have to be honest...if it’s allowed to buy each individual edition (including the one click) I will buy them all. Also for the reason they’re handy for trading and, if not for trading, selling, so I can buy other sealed (highly sought) editions.

• Thanks
Reactions: Covcraig
Until recently I thought you could only buy 1 Blufans edition in a GB (misinterpreted the terms and conditions - yes, I read them :happy: The last thing I want is to be banned).
And I was ok with that.

I also have to be honest...if it’s allowed to buy each individual edition (including the one click) I will buy them all. Also for the reason they’re handy for trading and, if not for trading, selling, so I can buy other sealed (highly sought) editions.
Handy buying that side edition if you don’t open your one clicks. As Cooey has mentioned it be strictly one edition so on this occasion don’t go buying them all!

• Thanks
Reactions: rschiks
Handy buying that side edition if you don’t open your one clicks. As Cooey has mentioned it be strictly one edition so on this occasion don’t go buying them all!
Yeah, I read his post :happy: I’m ok with that (have no other choice anyway). It is what it is. Their GB, their rules.

I’m happy they take the time for it :thumbs:

• Thanks
Reactions: cooey and sunnyx
One thing I can say for sure with this release for my GB is that it will be solely 1 x copy per member (no, 1 x one click along with 1 x double lenti, and 1 x single lenti etc). Just 1 edition.

I think that is a fair rule for Blufans Group Buys when so limited and in demand :thumbs:

I think that is a fair rule for Blufans Group Buys when so limited and in demand :thumbs:
Just curious what the definition of limited is. As I recall, after the restock, some editions were available for quite some time. (I’m talking about Thor: Ragnarok)
I would say 50 or less.

• Thanks
Reactions: yy0925
Just curious what the definition of limited is. As I recall, after the restock, some editions were available for quite some time.
I would say 50 or less.

The 1/4 slip was there for ages. I snagged the last single Lenti and I didn’t even know about the restocks. The SL went the quickest on the first stock, I woke up next early morning and saw it was available so just bagged it at 8.21am thinking there must be loads there and didn’t even realise it was the last one! Guess I just got lucky :emb:

The second restock was in the early morning I think about 5-6am UK time if I recall, I believe to accommodate the time zone for other countries. But yes it did take longer. I guess members didn’t know about the second restocks.

The 1/4 slips was there for ages, I guess not many fans at all.

Just curious what the definition of limited is. As I recall, after the restock, some editions were available for quite some time. (I’m talking about Thor: Ragnarok)
I would say 50 or less.

True. I also think if we can get the same quantity like Thor then we should be good.

I think the most fair and easiest thing would be a new policy for all GBs: strictly one edition per member, but if there are copies left after 24 hours then it’s open for everyone to buy multiple copies. I don’t think it’s fair to snag several copies from GBs that sells out within a few hours, because then more people than necessary are missing out. I think these GBs should be about giving the community’s members the opportunity to secure a copy for themselves, not some lucky few the chance to get several copies to deal with on the aftermarket.

I think not only is this release going to be insane due to the popularity of the film, the gorgeous art and the low print run but in terms of competition.

Unlike Thor Ragnarok, I doubt many would be willing to skip the blufans for the WWA.

I think the most fair and easiest thing would be a new policy for all GBs: strictly one edition per member, but if there are copies left after 24 hours then it’s open for everyone to buy multiple copies. I don’t think it’s fair to snag several copies from GBs that sells out within a few hours, because then more people than necessary are missing out. I think these GBs should be about giving the community’s members the opportunity to secure a copy for themselves, not some lucky few the chance to get several copies to deal with on the aftermarket.

Totally agree :thumbs:

• Thanks
Reactions: Basil
How many of these copies will genuinely end up getting scalped? Maybe a 100? Maybe 250 at the very top end? If eBay was flooded with even half of those copies in the first few months, the prices would tank.

The big-time eBay scalpers that do secure meaningful amounts all have back channels and untold numbers of accounts for securing titles anyway. A member (and prolific eBay seller) here managed to secure at least 6 copies of HDzeta's Baby Driver, and that had a limit of only 500 copies.

It is stressful by design when Blufans announces such a limited print run; they know what they're doing. You don't create fervor and excitement for a release by announcing an enormous print run. They want their products to remain in demand. They could increase the run by 500 and completely negate every copy bought with the intention of being resold--but they're not going to.

Nova announces a 4k run of The Grey, and what floods the comments section? "Looks nice, but I'll wait for the eventual half-off sale." The worst thing for a premium manufacturer to have is unsold stock. Blufans ran the numbers and decided they'd rather miss out on X amount of potential sales than risk having Y amount of unsold copies. Or even worse: having the second-hand market value of their titles drop well below cost. Blufans knows they're in the business of selling collectibles, and many of their customers don't want to fork out $75 for a premium release only to see it available a month or two later for considerably less. This would inevitably cause the initial demand to dip, forcing Blufans to reduce prices and/or the print run--clearly undesirable outcomes from a business perspective.

I think the biggest misconception about the current Blufans VIP program is that its focus is to reward loyalty. The minimum title demand (35?) for VIP membership drives up the value of their products on the second-hand market. Any given Blufans release automatically has an extra bit of value purely from being eligible to add to that barrier to membership entry; other premiums must be valued purely on their other merits. Having a high second-hand market value directly correlates to how much they're able to charge for new titles. The true reward of VIP membership is that dangling carrot of being able to reserve copies before anyone else. Keeping a tight rein on the print run means VIP members are more likely to bite on reservations--at full price, of course--which further drives demand for the "general admission" copies.

I think deciding the print run is much more of a balancing act than most people realize. And as infuriating as it is to see a release I missed out on being immediately listed on eBay for double the price--sometimes even with multiple copies (Baby Driver :cry:)--I don't know that policing who is buying what and from which sites is ultimately going to make much difference in the grand scheme of things.

*Disclaimer: I am a Blufans VIP member, so feel free to disregard everything above as biased hokum. :LOL:

How many of these copies will genuinely end up getting scalped? Maybe a 100? Maybe 250 at the very top end? If eBay was flooded with even half of those copies in the first few months, the prices would tank.

The big-time eBay scalpers that do secure meaningful amounts all have back channels and untold numbers of accounts for securing titles anyway. A member (and prolific eBay seller) here managed to secure at least 6 copies of HDzeta's Baby Driver, and that had a limit of only 500 copies.

It is stressful by design when Blufans announces such a limited print run; they know what they're doing. You don't create fervor and excitement for a release by announcing an enormous print run. They want their products to remain in demand. They could increase the run by 500 and completely negate every copy bought with the intention of being resold--but they're not going to.

Nova announces a 4k run of The Grey, and what floods the comments section? "Looks nice, but I'll wait for the eventual half-off sale." The worst thing for a premium manufacturer to have is unsold stock. Blufans ran the numbers and decided they'd rather miss out on X amount of potential sales than risk having Y amount of unsold copies. Or even worse: having the second-hand market value of their titles drop well below cost. Blufans knows they're in the business of selling collectibles, and many of their customers don't want to fork out $75 for a premium release only to see it available a month or two later for considerably less. This would inevitably cause the initial demand to dip, forcing Blufans to reduce prices and/or the print run--clearly undesirable outcomes from a business perspective.

I think the biggest misconception about the current Blufans VIP program is that its focus is to reward loyalty. The minimum title demand (35?) for VIP membership drives up the value of their products on the second-hand market. Any given Blufans release automatically has an extra bit of value purely from being eligible to add to that barrier to membership entry; other premiums must be valued purely on their other merits. Having a high second-hand market value directly correlates to how much they're able to charge for new titles. The true reward of VIP membership is that dangling carrot of being able to reserve copies before anyone else. Keeping a tight rein on the print run means VIP members are more likely to bite on reservations--at full price, of course--which further drives demand for the "general admission" copies.

I think deciding the print run is much more of a balancing act than most people realize. And as infuriating as it is to see a release I missed out on being immediately listed on eBay for double the price--sometimes even with multiple copies (Baby Driver :cry:)--I don't know that policing who is buying what and from which sites is ultimately going to make much difference in the grand scheme of things.

*Disclaimer: I am a Blufans VIP member, so feel free to disregard everything above as biased hokum. :LOL:
Very good insight.

Reactions: misformatt

I buy blufans editions that I like ( the movie and the steelbook art)

Don't give a rat's ass what the value is on eBay. I open everything. So there is no incentive for me if it appreciate in value.

I don't buy it as a investment. If I thought I would have to sell up in the future then I would never buy it in the first place.

There will always be enough buyers of blufans steels nomatter how they perform on eBay. Contrary to what you think most people buy them because they love them and not some twisted belief of monetary value.