Dallas Buyers Club (Possible Blu-ray Steelbook) -Feedback[UK]

Based on current artwork would you purchase this?

• Yes

Votes: 54 40.0%
  • No

Votes: 81 60.0%

• Total voters
Personally I don't mind this, however I can see why people don't like it as it does stray close to 'pop art', I don't own a Steelbook of this, so I'd pick it up for the right price, pick a film which hasn't had a UK or US/Canada Steelbook release and hasn't had a major Asian release with all the bells and whistles included, get your price right and your on to a winner IMO....

Also your asking us if we would buy this on the look of the Steelbook alone, what about content and bonus features?

I don't understand the idea of "it's already got a great steelbook release, no need for more." Will that fact keep any of the Iron Man or Avengers steelbooks from selling out?

This movie has a more limited audience, sure, but there are those who love this movie and will double dip. I would certainly buy this. The artwork is great; good concept and very nice attention to detail. It's a little more abstract than what people are used to so may not appeal to everyone. I have a feeling that once pictures of the actual product are presented (maybe with some nice debossing/embossing and unique inside artwork), people will slowly change their minds.

I don't understand the idea of "it's already got a great steelbook release, no need for more." Will that fact keep any of the Iron Man or Avengers steelbooks from selling out?

This movie has a more limited audience, sure, but there are those who love this movie and will double dip. I would certainly buy this. The artwork is great; good concept and very nice attention to detail. It's a little more abstract than what people are used to so may not appeal to everyone. I have a feeling that once pictures of the actual product are presented (maybe with some nice debossing/embossing and unique inside artwork), people will slowly change their minds.
If you owned a great Steelbook of a film, why would you spend money on buying a lesser edition of the same film? unless you collected edition's of that particular film, Iron Man/Avenger's Steelbook's will always sell because there's Marvel fanboys everywhere....

Hi all,

This is the initial concepts of the Dallas Buyers Club Steelbook.

Be keen to hear your thoughts.

Personally think the attention to detail is amazing, and plays true to the film.

Question is....would you purchase this?

Kind regards,

Adrian @ eOne Direct

As of now, no I wouldn't purchase this. Only because there is already an exclusive version and this is not a movie I would double dip into.
The steelbook concept on its own is amazing. If the Kimchi version didn't exist I would definitely buy it.
Hope that helps :)

If this was the art for Scarface or Wolf of Wall St. I'd be all over it, but it feels like it clashes with the movie's themes. This cover makes it seem like they start the club as a get rich quick scheme.

I really like the look, very unique, and I'm honestly pretty surprised it's behind in the vote (25 vs. 34) at the time of this post; I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

I really like the look, very unique, and I'm honestly pretty surprised it's behind in the vote (25 vs. 34) at the time of this post; I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Its easily explainable, there is already a superior slipped version of this film available that can even be picked up for little over cost on places like eBay. Those that really loved the film bought the Kimchi version and even it took months to sell out at a far lower print run than this. Those that now want a copy are either collectors who don't buy Asian releases or those few that missed out on the original Kimchi version.This will be lucky if it even sells 2000 and that will take a least a year to shift.

For those that think continuous re-releases are great for business, they aren't unless that product is Marvel or Disney. Pretty much all other re-releases unless it's amazing art and a film like Terminator stay in stock and get discounted in price. Collectors are fairly savy to what will and won't sell out now and will leave retailers alone till the price dramatically drops. Zavvi are now suffering badly due to an oversaturation of overpriced re-releases and people are willing to wait for the prices to drop. That isn't good for profits. This title won't sell out for a very long time. It's not one many people will double dip on leaving only a small amount of people willing to order up front, regardless of how good the art might be. Hence the "No buys" are most likely to win this.

I think it's a great effort and is unique. However it isn't for me and unfortunately I didn't vote in the original poll for another steelbook of this movie. I understand people's opinions that iron man has 10 steels. But the kimchi edition is enough for this particular movie.

Though I am excited to see the future with eone, especially since they are talking with us on the forum.

Reactions: SteelbookGenius666
Thanks for looking for our feedback on this @eonedirect! I can see that the artwork is trying to be different but it has something missing. Perhaps it's the colour scheme that doesn't fit. I wouldn't buy it personally but I'm sure the art appeals to others.

Even Kimchidvd could not sell all their stock of this movie even with their numerous diehard fans. To be absolutely blunt you will lose money hand over fist even if you change the artwork. You should really rethink your decision not to release a Insurgent steelbook. The decision to release this movie and Monstets2 with the current artwork is absolutely bonkers. Sorry to be harsh but that's the truth. @eonedirect

Even Kimchidvd could not sell all their stock of this movie even with their numerous diehard fans. To be absolutely blunt you will lose money hand over fist even if you change the artwork. You should really rethink your decision not to release a Insurgent steelbook. The decision to release this movie and Monstets2 with the current artwork is absolutely bonkers. Sorry to be harsh but that's the truth. @eonedirect

Yep nail and head, I'd buy Insurgent instantly. This not even at sales prices.

i saw someone who made there own steelbook concept a while back probably not as good the artwork in the OP
d_ALLAS_BUYERS_CLUB_steelbook.jpg

If you owned a great Steelbook of a film, why would you spend money on buying a lesser edition of the same film? unless you collected edition's of that particular film, Iron Man/Avenger's Steelbook's will always sell because there's Marvel fanboys everywhere....

Because it's not a matter of an edition being "lesser." There is no slip with this. It's not trying to be "better" than the Kimchidvd version. It's a plain steelbook and I like the art and the movie. I have five different Looper steelbooks, not because I decided I would collect that movie, but because every steelbook for it looks great and is very unique. I'm not buying it to watch the movie. If that's all I wanted, I'd have just kept the amaray.

I think the issue is simply that there aren't enough fans crazy enough about this movie to double dip.