Dallas Buyers Club (Possible Blu-ray Steelbook) -Feedback[UK]

Based on current artwork would you purchase this?

• Yes

Votes: 54 40.0%
  • No

Votes: 81 60.0%

• Total voters
Many here mention the Kimichi one and say this one is not needed at all, but as we all know, not everyone will or want to pay that amount of money for a steel.
Im not sold on the artwork, but there should definitely be a UK steel release of this movie imo, for those that doesnt want that Italian one or think the Kimichi is too expensive.

Many here mention the Kimichi one and say this one is not needed at all, but as we all know, not everyone will or want to pay that amount of money for a steel.
Im not sold on the artwork, but there should definitely be a UK steel release of this movie imo, for those that doesnt want that Italian one or think the Kimichi is too expensive.

That is all true but eOne need to consider how many of those people actually exist. The poll suggests not many.

Reactions: earthscope
That is all true but eOne need to consider how many of those people actually exist. The poll suggests not many.

Not everyone collecting steels is on this forum, not even close to how many that is actually out there. I know alot that doesnt care about forums, they just want to keep to their hobby.
A poll here doesnt really speak for everyone, just a small fraction. Polls on a forum should imo never stop a release completely. Polls should on the other hand help make releases better, and isnt that was this poll is all about, the artwork and if you would buy it with the current design?

Not everyone collecting steels is on this forum, not even close to how many that is actually out there. I know alot that doesnt care about forums, they just want to keep to their hobby.
A poll here doesnt really speak for everyone, just a small fraction. Polls on a forum should imo never stop a release completely. Polls should on the other hand help make releases better, and isnt that was this poll is all about, the artwork and if you would buy it with the current design?
You're absolutely right that not all collectors have any interest in being on forums like this, and that's a very good point.
Personally, I get what they were trying to do with the design but just don't like it, so voted no.

---

I think eOne will have a hard time selling this Steelbook (and will more than likely end up making a loss on it by reducing the price to try and move stock).

Many fans of the film opted for the KimchiDVD edition released last year and even that has not even managed to sell out. Then there's the low low cost competition; the Italian Steelbook (which I actually prefer the artwork for compared to this one) is just £11.21 delivered to the UK at the moment (edit: I actually purchased the Italian one today) and I doubt that eOne are going to be selling their release for less than that, which would make this even more of a hard sell.

Seems like odd choice to focus on this film to me, especially considering Lost in Translation topped their poll for what we wanted to see released.

Last edited:
  • Helpful Post
Reactions: dLux
The reason we actually designed this concept is because from the previous poll (https://www.hidefninja.com/communit...oll-new-products-uk.65080/page-7#post-1396496), DBC was one of the highest ranking titles that you wanted to see in steelbook form. We took this away and pitched this to designers and this was the end result, which we felt worked but wanted to get feedback from the people who would purchase these products. As a company we are not aware of the various releases around the world, as there are various licenses for different countries. Appreciate you all feel the Kimchi release is stronger, and looking at the results it is doubtful we will progress with this title.

Last edited:
@eonedirect Thank you for involving the community with the poll and the thread here for feedback to your possible release. I still say it is rare these days that a retailer try to release something for the collectors and get their feedback. With this title obviously didn't worked out for the most I hope you'll keep it up and come back with other titles :thumbs: really appreciated!

Last edited:
Polls can be a funny thing... people can easily just vote without commenting, and most of those that voted for it obviously haven't spoken up in here to properly express their interest, which is a shame, as it was clearly a popular choice, but now they'll have missed out.

The reason we actually designed this concept is because from the previous poll (https://www.hidefninja.com/communit...oll-new-products-uk.65080/page-7#post-1396496), DBC was one of the highest ranking titles that you wanted to see in steelbook form. We took this away and pitched this to designers and this was the end result, which we felt worked but wanted to get feedback from the people who would purchase these products. As a company we are not aware of the various releases around the world, as there are various licenses for different countries. Appreciate you all feel the Kimchi release is stronger, and looking at the results it is doubtful we will progress with this title.

Big thanks for getting involved with the community. Its very much appriciated.
Maybe this design didnt work, but you could always come up with something different and have a better result in the poll.
Or maybe go with Lost In Translation as that title almost had 50% of the votes?

How much were you going to charge for this Steelbook? Maybe that would have affected the vote. ...

Reactions: snooloui
@eonedirect Thank you for involving the community with the poll and the thread here for feedback to your possible release. I still say it is rare these days that a retailer try to release something for the collectors and get their feedback. With this title obviously didn't worked out for the most I hope you'll keep it up and come back with other titles :thumbs: really appreciated!
This

Reactions: harry and dan8885
I just had a look at the movies in the poll. Apart from Insurgent and Walking Dead and maybe Walk among the tombstone every single movie in that list would be a commercial disaster for eone if released as a steelbook. I know that there are big fans of the other movies but just not enough of them to sell the steels in sufficient numbers to make it economically viable. Just saying.

As a company we are not aware of the various releases around the world, as there are various licenses for different countries

To be honest in the crowed international market place that steelbooks now sell under, any company looking to produce a title should at the very least investigate and see if other versions of that title are already out there, the internet has many sites showcasing whats out there on a world wide level. Steelbook collectors buy on an international basis so only looking at whats available on a domestic level would be very unwise. Only certain films and companies/Studios tend to appeal to those who will buy more than one copy for example Marvel and Disney but many titles once a nice version is released won't sell the same way if at all. The fact so many steelbooks are now made has resulted in a very crowded market place with many retailers being left with titles that just no longer sell because better versions are available elsewhere. Collectors who stick to only buying from their own country are now very much a minority.

This title although scoring high wasn't in the top 3, and although strange that those that voted for it haven't commented here, it's more likely the case they went with the other version now since it didn't sell out for a long time. I honestly could not see this selling more than many 500 to 700 copies at best on release with the rest ending up heavily discounted later down the line. Pretty much any print run of 4000 copies now won't sell out unless it has "Marvel" on it, or is a very sought after title like American Psycho and even then I don't see 4000 of those selling out fast.

Was fantastic that you gave us a look into the workings of what you are planning, just a shame it's a film that while excellent isn't going to sell very well due to a better version already easily available. Personally I would have gone with Lost in Translation first as it doesn't have a good steelbook yet and is one title that has been mentioned over the years for being a title many fans would want providing the art was good.

:)

Last edited:
Really??! Like that's going to be a big success in steelbook form. o_OEEK!
HPIM0095.jpg