Finding Nemo: Lenticular Edition (2D+3D Blu-ray Steelbook) (Zavvi Exclusive) [UK]

snooloui

The 'Negative' Ninja
Premium Supporter
Feb 12, 2012
UK
Release date: February 27, 2017
Purchase link: Finding Nemo (live)
Price: £24.99

IMG_5894.JPG

IMG_5895.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Lion King lenticular just sold out in three days (or so say Zavvi). Whether you like it or not, we can expect to see more of these re-releases if that's the level of demand. Happy for those who missed the original wave, but I'd be happier if they announced a few (even one) unreleased classic on steel to keep the original collection alive.
I suspect only the best-selling calssics / pixars from the first wave will get the new lenticular treatment. Frozen, Beauty & the Beast, Aladdin and Tangled for instance.

That is the point of any limited collectable. A large number were available to order for a very long time...

That hasn't been the point of purchasing Steelbooks for me. The way I see it, Steelbooks are a means by which fans of a particular movie can make some sort of investment in their love for that movie. There are plenty of cool looking Steelbooks that I won't buy simply because I couldn't care less for the movie, and on the flip side there have been some fairly mundane Steelbooks that I purchased because I loved the movie.

The Finding Nemo Steelbook offering from Zavvi sold out fairly quickly. They didn't go as fast as, say, Aladdin, but they weren't just hanging around on Zavvi's website. I haven't purchased anything from Zavvi for about a year now, but back when they started the Disney and Pixar collections I was a very avid customer. I missed out on Aladdin and Finding Nemo because of traveling, and I was none too pleased that the only avenue I had was paying an exorbitant price on eBay.

Someone else mentioned that some of these originals are now going up on eBay for reasonable prices due to the announcement of these lenticular versions, but as of this morning I was still seeing heavily marked up prices there.

...zavvi even much later offered so many buy one get one free (another slap to people who preordered these paying full price)...

If you're referring specifically to Finding Nemo, then no they weren't offering it that cheap. I have seen some of the less popular releases going up on B1G1 (and have even purchased some that I wasn't as interested in at full price once they entered such a sale), but when I saw ones that I paid full price for in those sales I never once thought "WTF Zavvi?!" I see it very much like being an early adopter... unless you're getting one that's guaranteed to be super popular and sold out quickly, chances are there will be a few left over later that Zavvi will try to offload, and that's pretty much par for the course.

If I missed a collectable yes I am disappointed but in this case such a huge collection as this to have been released now surely at least continuing first would have been sensible rather than re-releasing.

I can empathize with that -- being a fan of Steelbooks and especially Disney/Pixar Steelbooks I'd love to see some other movies get that treatment for the first time... but when it comes to ones as popular as the Nemo and Aladdin ones were, I'd prefer people who didn't get a chance to obtain them have the opportunity to do so now, and if it were one I had that others wanted I wouldn't begrudge others that chance.

It's just one of those annoying things people who didn't get them think great and people who did and spent a lot of money on these are going to be extremely dissapointed.
I've paid full price on a lot of my Steelbooks from Zavvi, and I never once thought anything wrong with a re-release or new version.

I'm curious... back to what you said earlier about releasing a new version of a previous release instead of brand new releases... would it bother you as much if they had new Disney classic animated Steelbooks coming alongside these?

Lion King lenticular just sold out in three days (or so say Zavvi).

Oh well. I was considering picking this up even though I have the original release just because this is one of my favorite movies -- generally, not just Disney or even animated -- of all time. Hopefully there are some leftovers or cancellations in the coming weeks.

...I'd be happier if they announced a few (even one) unreleased classic on steel to keep the original collection alive.

There are still plenty of Disney animated films that I'd love to see as Steelbooks, but I suspect many of them will never get that treatment because of the lower sales performance of the less well known releases in the line.

I suspect only the best-selling calssics / pixars from the first wave will get the new lenticular treatment. Frozen, Beauty & the Beast, Aladdin and Tangled for instance.

I missed out on Aladdin so I'd welcome a re-release of that. Of the remaining three you listed, Tangled is the only one I wouldn't even consider buying a re-release of. I enjoyed the film for what it was, but I don't think I'd ever need to watch it again... plus the original Steelbook already looks pretty damn nice. :)

I'd love getting new versions of Frozen and Beauty & The Beast (another one of my favorite movies of all time). I missed out on The Incredibles so a re-release of that one would be nice as well.

I for one am super-stoked about the Nemo re-release as I missed out on it and it's in my top three movies of all time.

Zavvi did second lenticular editions for a lot of their marvel steels. Why is everyone so surprised they are doing it for disney. I think it would only be a problem if they were re releasing the same exact steel.

Zavvi did second lenticular editions for a lot of their marvel steels. Why is everyone so surprised they are doing it for disney. I think it would only be a problem if they were re releasing the same exact steel.
That's true... the only downside of a re-release would be if the investment value of the first release was compromised with an identical design on the subsequent product.

• Thanks
Reactions: Drumass and Flash
Why does everyone keep saying Zavvi are doing this? This is on Disney. And this practice isn't new. They have been releasing & rereleasing their movies since the dawn of the home video market (I have a collectors edition DVD of Beauty & The Beast they released in 2002, I bought it on release day. They've since released, what, 6 different DVDs of Beauty & The Beast.) Those saying this is a slap in the face to collectors & whatnot, just don't buy the release. Sure, it would have been nice if Disney released some of the other titles in their back catalogue, but clearly there isn't enough of a demand for a Basil The Great Mouse Detective steelbook etc.

Disney don't give a rats ass whether you're annoyed by this or not. They know these things sell & sell very well (most sell out). They know that, "hey, we haven't released a Lion King steelbook or a Nemo steelbook in 3 years, I bet new collectors would jump on this." And they're absolutely right. The Lion King sold out. This probably will too. So will the inevitable Beauty & The Beast, Aladdin etc. releases sell out.

But Zavvi have exactly nothing to do with this. I know Zavvi aren't the best company in the world but they have absolutely no "blame" in this. This decision is totally on Disney. And as I said, they don't care if this rerelease bothers you. It'll sell out & they'll make money & at the end of the day thats all that matters.

Sorry for the rant.

I have the original which, despite some words to the contrary is a lovely design.

This, they can stick this where the sun don't shine and set fire to it!

Cash-cow-itis strikes again; they're all at it now with their bloody multiple editions and ever increasing quantities grrrrrrrrr!!! :banghead::ugh:(n):sick::vomit:

Reactions: Flash
I have the original which, despite some words to the contrary is a lovely design.

This they can stick this where the sun don't shine and set fire to it!

Cash-cow-itis strikes again; they're all at it now with their bloody multiple editions and ever increasing quantities grrrrrrrrr!!! :banghead::ugh:(n):sick::vomit:

Well said :thumbs:

Reactions: JackRegan
Whether you disagree or support the rerelease, we all need to except this and move on. It is inevitable with huge blockbusters movie. When 4K comes out they will do the same and rerelease the whole wave again, then a few years later another edition double diamond edition etc etc.

The way I see it is if you missed out on a hugely popular movie, chances are you will see this again. For those that spent loads of money on the originals I can only sympathise with you. Take this as an experience from collecting.

I don't expect all titles such as rescuers or dumbo etc to be re-released. Aladdin, Beauty Beast, Toy Stories are definitely on the Disney hot list. So let's not act surprised with another announcement @Flash you just have to accept it bud. Otherwise we will see the same comments all over again.

Might as well use this as a template on all next re-releases :rofl:

Whether you disagree or support the rerelease, we all need to except this and move on. It is inevitable with huge blockbusters movie. When 4K comes out they will do the same and rerelease the whole wave again, then a few years later another edition double diamond edition etc etc.

The way I see it is if you missed out on a hugely popular movie, chances are you will see this again. For those that spent loads of money on the originals I can only sympathise with you. Take this as an experience from collecting.

I don't expect all titles such as rescuers or dumbo etc to be re-released. Aladdin, Beauty Beast, Toy Stories are definitely on the Disney hot list. So let's not act surprised with another announcement @Flash you just have to accept it bud. Otherwise we will see the same comments all over again.

Might as well use this as a template on all next re-releases :rofl:

I am not sure why you picked me out specifically there as if you read the thread so many people have said similar things to me. It's odd as I haven't actually said anything in a while in here other than agreeing with @JackRegan.

I mean you pm'd me the other day and I did agree, you said that newbie collectors that missed out welcomed the new releases not giving a consideration some people paid double the price.

I also do agree this thread is getting extremely repetitive. The bottom line is people who didn't get the original releases are happy and people who bought the originals aren't. That's life I guess, it's a wee bit annoying but we shall all survive ;) lol

Its pretty obvious why we dont want rereleases. We want stuff that is rare. Otherwise it is no longer a collectable. There are much better places to get collectable blu-rays and they are not steelbooks. This market is toast.

• Thanks
Reactions: JackRegan and Flash