Have you ever "Quit" collecting Steelbooks?

Wreck

Is Here To Serve
Staff Member
Jan 26, 2009
USA
I thought this might be a slightly different and interesting topic.

Ever so often I see people quit, and some come back etc.

So have you ever "Quit" collecting steelbooks only to start later on?

For those who are reading who have quit entirely, what made it easier for you? Just stopping, selling some, all etc?

Me personally, I started like gangbusters but then toned it down to great degree to where I'm able to collect moderately :)

So yeah, I have no plans of quitting ... this is just a unique (me thinks) topic for our community. :p

Sort of. Not used to paying so much but I have the "collector sickness" so it starts in a fury and subsides when reality catches up.

If they were all mint it'd be fine, but considering it's all about the case, having imperfections just really throws you for the $ you're spending. Especially when there is a sudden firesale or something at retailers for pittance of the price you bought it at and yours isn't mint, it's like what's the point?

Probably the most expensive collector's item I've spent on, or arguably actually since though others cost less in cash, but more in time, which can actually be very much worse. Also considering you can get the movie itself for much less...heh.

I first quite when I started. My first 3 steelbooks were the pirates of the Caribbean trilogy. Gave up cuz my next order was damaged and I was frustrated. LOL. After getting Inception FYE release, I was back in the game. ^_^

I'll tell you what has peaked my interest lately that make steelbooks seem not expensive at all. lol. Obtaining some of these Hot Toys 1/6 scale movie figures or creating a custom. These things cost $150+ I even bid on one around the $350 mark ... I lost as it went over $400 and boy was I glad I lost the next day lol. ***** crazy expensive just for toys, I'm hoping to get a few and hopefully quit looking at those altogether after that as its just crazy expensive.

I'll tell you what has peaked my interest lately that make steelbooks seem not expensive at all. lol. Obtaining some of these Hot Toys 1/6 scale movie figures or creating a custom. These things cost $150+ I even bid on one around the $350 mark ... I lost as it went over $400 and boy was I glad I lost the next day lol. ***** crazy expensive just for toys, I'm hoping to get a few and hopefully quit looking at those altogether after that as its just crazy expensive.

LOL. Yeh. I saw some of those. They look pretty nice. I wanted to get an iron man 2 one for 150 but I changed my mind.

Those life size are amazing. My friend has a life size Freddy. :scat:

Yikes!!! That would scare the **** out of me.

I am 41 yrs old and I still get the **** scared out of me when I am watching scary movies in my theater by myself at night. I start looking behind me. LOL.

Yikes!!! That would scare the **** out of me.

I am 41 yrs old and I still get the **** scared out of me when I am watching scary movies in my theater by myself at night. I start looking behind me. LOL.

LOL. The only movie that had me jumpy was the original nightmare on elm street. when that music comes on. EEK!

But yeh, that life size looks freaky and he has it right next to the door. Soon as u open the door, that's what your greeted by. LOL. I'll snap a few pics when I'm back at his house.

I just started at the end of last year, but sometimes I already feel like I should quit before I'm in too deep. Paying full price for a movie I'll never watch makes me feel a little bad inside. And on top of that, I'm an avid game collector.

So to make everything a bit better, I've limited myself to collecting only PS3 games, which isn't too bad as I'll only buy the game full price if it's something I really want. Otherwise, game prices usually tank within a few months. Something steelbooks will never do. And I've also limited myself to purchasing strictly Canadian steelbooks. Which is hard at times.. since Europeans get all the pretty ones!

It just sucks when a steelbook game comes out.. I find myself having to buy two copies.. as I did with MVC3 (one original, one steelbook). :(

I've definitely contemplated quitting. Not sure I make enough to sustain this habit, esp. when the cost prohibits me from doing other stuff. When I started, I stupidly went on a beginner's binge, which really drained my bank account. Now I really try to budget it. Videogame steelbooks are especially a killer, going for about $80-$90 new for special editions here and overseas.

I went a little nuts in the beginning and finally had to cut back to only getting ones that I really wanted. My new criteria is:

1. Like Movie
2. Like Outside Artwork
3. Have Inside Artwork

I quit a while back, once i had all the rare and hard to find titles it got very boring as the hunt is the fun part. I also didnt see the point in staring at a bunch of tin cases collecting dust when the cash could be sitting in my bank account lol. I will never return to collecting and im alot happier without them, i see people on here stressing about silly things like "logos", "banners" when theres more important things in life to worry about. You also get people losing sleep worrying about your steelbook getting damaged on its way to you, end of the day its a movie and im glad i see it that way now.:D

I'm on it, but 2 forgotten orders, IB Italy and today SCRE4M Ger touched the compulsive me but I have sold (in minutes) that copy, the sea is on calm again, will check for other "missing pre orders", lol

I quit a while back, once i had all the rare and hard to find titles it got very boring as the hunt is the fun part. I also didnt see the point in staring at a bunch of tin cases collecting dust when the cash could be sitting in my bank account lol. I will never return to collecting and im alot happier without them, i see people on here stressing about silly things like "logos", "banners" when theres more important things in life to worry about. You also get people losing sleep worrying about your steelbook getting damaged on its way to you, end of the day its a movie and im glad i see it that way now.:D

I think you are spot on there Deuce, the fun is definatly in the chase. Once you have it you are just looking for the next one straight away. The thing that annoys me the most is when you get damaged ones. I did try quiting about 6 months ago and sold the majority of my steels. I have been picking them up since but i try to be very selective now and pick up only the ones i really like. Before i was just buying for the Steelbook regardless of the film.

Last edited:
Come January, I've got to really cut down my buying a lot. Ive spent sooo much on steels this month...lol...yikes.
So after my preorders and my Aus Senna turning up, that's it.....
Famous last words ay?....