Have you ever "Quit" collecting Steelbooks?

Wreck

Is Here To Serve
Staff Member
Jan 26, 2009
USA
I thought this might be a slightly different and interesting topic.

Ever so often I see people quit, and some come back etc.

So have you ever "Quit" collecting steelbooks only to start later on?

For those who are reading who have quit entirely, what made it easier for you? Just stopping, selling some, all etc?

Me personally, I started like gangbusters but then toned it down to great degree to where I'm able to collect moderately :)

So yeah, I have no plans of quitting ... this is just a unique (me thinks) topic for our community. :p

I ran across this scrolling through the forums and thought it was interesting. First I thought it was interesting to even be in the topics and then it made me reflect on my personal experience. I stopped collecting for about 5-6 years and what made it easy was the pricing and collecting to just collect (if that makes sense) and not even being happy about what I bought. It was an easy decision to walk away as monetarily at that time I just needed to focus on more important things in life. I had about 400+ steel books and 150-200 regular blu rays and I sold all of them but 90 or so and came to the realization at that time that I was simply collecting to collect and was more worried about getting the movies for their worth and not cause I actually loved that title. So after a long time off I decided to come back refocused and only here to buy what I truly love. I don't care that this or that is a "grail" anymore like i used to, if I don't like the movie then its a simple pass. Thats my story y'all, thanks for reading!

I ran across this scrolling through the forums and thought it was interesting. First I thought it was interesting to even be in the topics and then it made me reflect on my personal experience. I stopped collecting for about 5-6 years and what made it easy was the pricing and collecting to just collect (if that makes sense) and not even being happy about what I bought. It was an easy decision to walk away as monetarily at that time I just needed to focus on more important things in life. I had about 400+ steel books and 150-200 regular blu rays and I sold all of them but 90 or so and came to the realization at that time that I was simply collecting to collect and was more worried about getting the movies for their worth and not cause I actually loved that title. So after a long time off I decided to come back refocused and only here to buy what I truly love. I don't care that this or that is a "grail" anymore like i used to, if I don't like the movie then its a simple pass. Thats my story y'all, thanks for reading!
Well welcome back, bumping a thread from 2011 that I dont even remember creating, however reading my writing let's me know how much I've grown in practically a decade. ha.

Dont follow the sheep, collect what you like ...

I have more joy having multiple editions of a Tarantino movie then I do sometimes having 10 different DUD movies. I have a vast amount of all sorts anyhow .... but when I prune, it's easy to have sub collections that I enjoy the most not worrying about if im keeping the most valuable. Sometimes its nice tho to be able to move on a valuable item tho as you can then put funds towards other new wants etc. the cycle continues...

This is a great topic! worthy of resurrection.

When I first got into steels I went kind of hog wild. Anything and everything that came along at Best Buy or Walmart I tried to snag. I was happy doing this until I realized I could snag stuff from across the pond as well. This opened up my steelbook world substantially...and also got me collecting even more

Eventually I got to the point where I just started going after steels I really felt invested in. This got me in the frame of mind to consider going after premium releases, like my Hit Girl 'Kick Ass' which I love.

Now I'm at the point where I'm considering just holding back from the regular releases and going after the rare premium release I desire. Really dig those Full Slip sets with all the goodies.

That said, I did have to pull the trigger on Airplane. It is a must have.

I found this thread from the "Latest posts" list down below and found the title interesting but not surprising.
I'm sure many people have considered quitting or have quit.

But what surprised me though is when the thread was created.

Feb. 22, 2011?!!! :wow: I'm going to read back through the thread to see what started turning people off of SteelBooks so soon.
:LOL:

I didn't become aware of SteelBooks until 2015 but I believe I have read in the past that they started around 2008 or 2009.

I just read back through this thread which started at the beginning of 2011 and it seems like nothing has changed in almost 10 years. Even the SteelBook titles being released then are the same titles being released now. Inception, The Matrix, Inglourious Basterds and so on. :wow:

Reactions: Jnavotheman
I didn't become aware of SteelBooks until 2015 but I believe I have read in the past that they started around 2008 or 2009.

I just read back through this thread which started at the beginning of 2011 and it seems like nothing has changed in almost 10 years. Even the SteelBook titles being released then are the same titles being released now. Inception, The Matrix, Inglourious Basterds and so on. :wow:

One of those if it ain’t broke don’t fix it type of things lol

• Haha
Reactions: Stygian
I quit collecting all other genres years back, quite early on after starting, and began focusing on the superhero genre only, with the exception of one or two other movies since.

I have a number of steels of varying genres put away. They are all non-premium and those that were premium i.e. Gone Girl, Drive & Fifth Element come to mind, were moved on.

Why superhero only?

I just think it's a more fun and focused approach to collecting and as a series of films they are my favourite with MCU killing the competition. These films are linked and have longevity and a vast cross over of different artwork, finishes, slipcovers, boxsets, extras etc. Early on I did unseal, now I only unseal the boxset box to reveal the slip artworks. Everybody loves these releases, even if they complain that there are too many. At least every collector has options as gone are the days of a "oh so amazingly rare" and "few and far between" releases.

Where others spend money on other genres, I use mine towards multiples of the same genre with varying art, finish and extras.

I didn't know this thread even existed!!!
I've never quit collecting steelbooks but I don't double dip anymore and I've certainly become more selective with the ones I buy.
I can only think of 4 steelbooks I've bought this year with only one preorder on the horizon...

I was actually around when this thread was initially launched and it's super funny to see it revived now. I started collecting in 2011, because steelbooks were finally a film packaging that was normed in size. I HATED thick and thin VHS covers, I despised different DVD cover-sizes and Bluray covers annoyed the hell out of me with endless amounts of plastic cover sizes and all that. It must be some kind of an OCD thing, but having a huge shelf full of movies in a collectible packaging that were all the same size no matter where they came from was hugely appealing to me. It was too bad that the movies I really liked didn't come out on steelbooks yet, it was only blockbusters and superhero titles and brainless Action flicks, but I still couldn't resist the appeal. This is why I was solely motivated by the actual and potential value of steelbooks. I missed the first wave of grails (Iron Man FS, John Rambo,...), but heavily caught the 2nd wave - especially of German releases - with titles like Room 1408, Death Race, Wanted or Hellboy 2 and also started paying premium prices for Japanese releases like the white Batman steelbooks. When I thought they had reached their maximum value point I sold them off and used the gains to buy newer, even more promising releases (Iron Man Play.com, Avengers Müller exclusive with Comic, Canadian releases like Inglourious Basterds RE, American History X...) and I was probably doing what has now and then been considered "scalping".

I decided to sell everything in 2013/14 for personal reasons (got divorced) and thought I would never be able to afford serious film collecting again. I still could not however resist buying 3 copies of Whiplash zavvi when they were on sale, because it was a perfect trifecta of a great movie, stunningly beautiful steelbook and huge potential value increase. One of the 3 came with the shrinkwrap torn and I opened it to admire its full beauty and watch the film again and as of then I was hooked and decided to somehow start collecting only movies that I really like. Now, 6 years later I have about 750 steelbooks, some open, most still sealed and have no intention of ever stopping, but still being fully aware that with all the 4K rereleases and countless Asian releases it is impossible (at least if you are on a "collecting" budget and mine is about 300€/month and I also collect Criterion Blurays and various Promo CD's...) to have a fully complete or even consistent collection.

I love steelbooks as they are the perfect film packaging. I could actually do without all the slipcovers and box sets, but I've learned to accept them (or even LOVE them with movies like Whiplash, Ex.Machina, Her and Shawshank Redemption) and now just try to buy what I like and that give me some joy when I order them, receive them and put the on the shelf.

• Friendly
Reactions: Jnavotheman
Started collecting from 2008 with the mission to buy every single UK steelbook release but let's just say that bumps in the road between then and now have messed with that mission.

Reactions: Stygian
Steelbook collecting is like joining the mafia... you may want out at some point but do you Actually get to leave lol??
Have considered it from time to time but just have personally scaled back to being more choosy in what I’m selecting to buy.

This is exactly where I’m at with it too, very selective on what I’m buying and just enjoying the purchases I do end up making.

• Friendly
Reactions: Actarus
This is exactly where I’m at with it too, very selective on what I’m buying and just enjoying the purchases I do end up making.

I am now at the same spot. I have become more selective of what I purchase since I now have more monthly bills living on my own, but what I do decide to purchase I do enjoy thoroughly ...still should cut back even more but I don’t think I am able to restrain myself that much :wacky: ...but cutting out 99% of Marvel releases do help !

I'm also very selective on what I buy now. If the art is rubbish or pop art I avoid like the plague. 4k discs seem to the worst offenders for steelbooks. 90% of my 4k discs have been amray cases because the steelbook art was so bad.

I've stopped collecting altogether, I mean everything related to steelbooks, movies, TV...everything. I guess you could say I burned out completely on TV & Movies, hell...even games. One of the last few movies I purchased was 1917 and my plans were to sit down with my father because he's my war junky buddy since we both like war movies and watch this together. Unfortunately he passed away and I never could bring myself to watch it and it just washed over me and I quit everything altogether. So yeah, I'm officially out. I'm keeping all my steelbooks and movies though with the hopes of one day picking it back up but idk. Right now all I have is painting my miniatures, it's the only thing that keeps me occupied now. :(

I've stopped collecting altogether, I mean everything related to steelbooks, movies, TV...everything. I guess you could say I burned out completely on TV & Movies, hell...even games. One of the last few movies I purchased was 1917 and my plans were to sit down with my father because he's my war junky buddy since we both like war movies and watch this together. Unfortunately he passed away and I never could bring myself to watch it and it just washed over me and I quit everything altogether. So yeah, I'm officially out. I'm keeping all my steelbooks and movies though with the hopes of one day picking it back up but idk. Right now all I have is painting my miniatures, it's the only thing that keeps me occupied now. :(

I’m very sorry to hear about your father, and that you could not enjoy 1917 with him. Really sorry :(

Reactions: Lone Crusader
I am a film collector now, more selective than i used to be, it as to be re watchable for me to purchase, with 4k getting more popular i have purchased more this year than the last 3 years. I wont pay stupid money still for a silly postcard or slipcase in a package.

I'm truly sorry to hear about your father but I'm wishing you all the best.

Reactions: Lone Crusader
never. im a big ***** when it comes to collecting. i plan to never stop :whistle: :whistle: ive been collecting more than half my life and I wouldnt have it any other way :cool: :cool:

do what makes you happy and what you feel is right

Last edited:
Reactions: tha_lunatic