Release date: February 2nd, 2015
Purchase link: Zavvi.nl
Price: £14.99 or €19,19
Notes: Limited to 2,500 copies.

11047996-1417112395-997803.jpg

11047996-1417112395-997884.jpg

11047996-1417112395-997813.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
i mentioned earlier i had this in my basket and hesitated. then it was sold out.

received an email from zavvi today subj: There's still time to complete your purchase. the email was referring to the King Kong Zavvi Steelbook!!! it showed the basket icon with a 1 on it, showing i had one item in my basket!! excited that i had a second chance i clicked on the link, only to be taken to my empty basket.

major bummer.

i was so afraid to get my copy hearing all the comments about the damaged copies that today when i got my copy i didnt wanna open it! lol but finally i did and i got a perfect copy! awesome steel...

Reactions: Geek Tragedy
I seem to remember other members have commented on this as well - the quality of the blu-ray picture has to be one of the best I have seen in a long-long time. Can any technical buffs out there explain why it looks so good compared to others.

Here is the answer from zavvi

"Thank you for getting in touch about your order.

I can tell that is normal due to be a limited edition and come in 3d effect thank you."

Please, i'm the only one with that problem, i'm not crazy right ?

Here is the answer from zavvi

"Thank you for getting in touch about your order.

I can tell that is normal due to be a limited edition and come in 3d effect thank you."

Please, i'm the only one with that problem, i'm not crazy right ?

If that was zavvis response then thats just further proof of how much zavvi dont know about their own stock.

"Home of steelbooks"? More like home of the clueless.

Reactions: jonnie123
Just explain that the printing is misregistered. I'm not sure if you used the term 3d in your original contact with them but it has given them an out, to palm you off with bs. Also include pics of yours and unaffected copies and don't accept any more nonsense from them.

well mine is going back today with scratches , i made them an offer that i'd keep the steelbook in exchange for a tenners credit , saves them paying return postage as well. needless to say they declined , offered me 10% ,that's £1.49 ......and we've not even discussed my inconvenience ,time and petrol to get the steelbookback to the post office . They don't have customer service , its an illusion , we live in times of the two fingered salute to consumers.

Reactions: Steelselecta
While I can't say I've had issues with Zavvi in the past, I do feel their customer service couldn't care less about the issues I've had over this one.

It came when expected, just bent near enough at a 45 degree angle. Looked like it had been placed between two tables and ad a bat swung at it. Needless to say, sent Zavvi an email and photograph who told me to send it back for a "return or replacement." Now, I chased this up a few times to get confirmation that they would be able to send out another copy to me, and when they eventually agreed to this, I doubled checked that it was still in stock (it was). Lo and behold, today I get an email confirming that they have completed my return and will be refunding my account n 3-5 days. I'm livid.

What can I do about it though? The only power I have is the power of a consumer: I can stop buying from them. But a lot of what they offer is available nowhere else. I know what I should do, I just don't know if I have the strength to follow through...

that sucks, dude. you would hope to at least get a 'sorry we can't replace your steel' comment in the email. it seems perhaps that email inquires are not handled by the same person throughout the issue. it would explain the disconnect to the issue at hand in several complaints. if that's the case, they should change that pronto.

i have considered, due to issues like this that have been reported, not buying from zavvi. if only to save myself the worry of what i might get. had i not been on this forum, i'd be clueless and wouldn't hesitate to order for as you point out, some of what they have just isnt available elsewhere. i've ordered from them several times and, knock on wood, have had zero problems, even with the couple sent in envelopes!

as for the king kong steel, still bummin' i didn't get one. the reports of the ones that arrived safely had me salivating, but if i was in this mess with a damaged steel, i'd more than likely also feel bitter.

i hope for both of us; rather, all concerned, that they get some more in. i believe they've done that before with sold out items.

Mine was supposedly dispatched on the 28th, still waiting on it to be delivered. After reading all these horror stories about "3D" print effect etc I am getting impatient to receive and verify my copy; If it shows up.

Yep, also got an email from Zavvi saying they are refunding me for this, after I sent it back last week. I actually had asked for a replacement too. Sigh.

Decide to duck this one as I'm not a fan of the movie.

Those who say what can they do about zavvis poor customer service totally under estimate their own power. Simply spend LESS with them. No grand statements, no angry demands, not even a stream of endless emails. Just limit when you choose to use them.

I seem to remember other members have commented on this as well - the quality of the blu-ray picture has to be one of the best I have seen in a long-long time. Can any technical buffs out there explain why it looks so good compared to others.
Maybe it's just me, but personally I find Universals movie quality is always amazing looking compared to some other studios. I don't know if they put more money/time into the actual HD transfers than most, but i cant recall a bad Universal movie transfer in my collection.

Jaws is a great example of this, it looks like it was only shot last week!! I just hope they give Steven Spielbergs DUEL a stand alone release at some stage. I don't want to fork out for the box set as I have most already. The transfer for it looks amazing though.

Anyway, back on topic.......

Reactions: harry and Softwing