Léon: The Professional (4K+2D Blu-ray SteelBook) (Manta Lab Exclusive No. 57) [Hong Kong]

IRON MAN

E.D.I.T.H.
Super Moderator
Premium Supporter
Dec 28, 2012
Everywhere
Release date: May 3, 2023
Purchase links: Box Set - Full Slip - Lenti - Double Lenti (Pre-order on March 3 at 8 PM - Hong Kong time)
Price: $159.97 (Box Set) - $48.99 (Full Slip) - $49.99 (Lenti - Double Lenti)

Notes: WEA, Exclusive Steelcase designed by Manta Lab features "Full Glossy" Finish and "Debossed Title".
Box Set: 600 Sets, Numbered 1-600. Scratch Resistant Coating, Embossing, Foil.
Full Slip: 1000 units, Numbered 1-1000. Spot Glossy, Scratch Resistance Coating, Embossing, Foil.
Lenti: 1000 units, Numbered 1-1000. 3D Lenticular, Spot Glossy, Spot Matte, Embossing.
Double Lenti: 1000 units, Numbered 1-1000. 2 x 3D Lenticular, Spot Glossy, Spot Matte, Embossing.
Premiums: Booklet, Postcards, Character Cards, Envelope, Exclusive Numbering Sticker, Exclusive Release Front Sticker, Exclusive Release Lenticular Sticker.

LEON_OC_V2_2000x.jpgLEON_FS_V2_2000x.jpgLEON_LS_V2_5000x.jpgLEON_DLS_V2_2000x.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not talking about relying on scalpers or GBs to shift copies. I'm saying that business model just wouldn't work when applied to every release. They'll either end up with far more or less than they want/have to produce, most of the time.

Resurrections would've sold less than half it's run at preorder without GB hosts being lumbered with set allocations, and something like Inception would sell 2 or 3 times over. That's not a fluctuation a retailer can scale consistent production to, let alone any stipulations in their contractual arrangements.

Remember these are supposed to be set Limited releases. That's how the vast majority of the premium steelbook market has always operated, and there's evidently reason for it.
Why wouldn't work for them if it works with limited releases of videogames as I mentioned on my previous comment?

That could have been a problem when they started but now they're well known. I don't think they would have problems with those requirements.

Limited Run Games started with that model but later they changed to these new one and they realized it was better for their business because they could sell more and they could partially solve the problem with scalpers.
Regardless of being well known, the problem would still persist. WB aren't going to budge on what they want from a niche retailer, no matter who they are.

Similarly buyer's aren't going to request the allocations that manta need to meet for sh!t titles. Point proven with Resurrections and Birds of Prey.

The business model you're suggesting just would not be feasible.

Why wouldn't work for them if it works with limited releases of videogames as I mentioned on my previous comment?
I've literally just explained why it wouldn't work. I think you're just suggesting the route because it would work for you. The fact that it may work for one bespoke videogame company doesn't mean it'll work for Manta, or the premium steelbook market as a whole.

Manta specifically will have a contract with WB that stipulates how many titles, and copies of titles, they can release within a set time period. They need to meet these to fulfil their contract, and that's that.

That's not even taking into account that a company with such a consistent schedule as Manta will have their own processes and supplier contracts in place to physically produce their products. These will be based on volume requirements, which again wouldn't work if they suddenly need to half or double the quantity of a planned release.

A business plan based on mass volume fluctuations isn't feasible for a company with a steady production schedule. It's as simple as that.

How about NOT releasing crappy titles at all. There is questionnaires and voting that can be done. If everyone worked and listened to each other, instead of forcing something, then it'd be better for everyone.

Remember these are supposed to be set Limited releases. That's how the vast majority of the premium steelbook market has always operated, and there's evidently reason for it.
I think most of what humanity does and practices is very stupid, so...

I've literally just explained why it wouldn't work. I think you're just suggesting the route because it would work for you. The fact that it may work for one bespoke videogame company doesn't mean it'll work for Manta, or the premium steelbook market as a whole.

Manta specifically will have a contract with WB that stipulates how many titles, and copies of titles, they can release within a set time period. They need to meet these to fulfil their contract, and that's that.

That's not even taking into account that a company with such a consistent schedule as Manta will have their own processes and supplier contracts in place to physically produce their products. These will be based on volume requirements, which again wouldn't work if they suddenly need to half or double the quantity of a planned release.

A business plan based on mass volume fluctuations isn't feasible for a company with a steady production schedule. It's as simple as that.
Well surely they wouldn't go into production until they know what kind of numbers they're dealing with first. Manufacturers only need to know the final quantity. It's not like they'd be involved in the rest of that process.

I don't see why it couldn't work. Especially if Kimchi have already used this method.....

How about NOT releasing crappy titles at all. There is questionnaires and voting that can be done. If everyone worked and listened to each other, instead of forcing something, then it'd be better for everyone.

I think most of what humanity does and practices is very stupid, so...
They probably don't have complete control over what titles they put out. You can make a wishlist, but you can only release what you're allowed at the end of the day. Both Godzilla v Kong and Resurrections both felt like obligation, rather than selection.

The consensus around releasing Resurrections at the time seemed to be that it was a springboard to releasing the original

Well surely they wouldn't go into production until they know what kind of numbers they're dealing with first. Manufacturers only need to know the final quantity. It's not like they'd be involved in the rest of that process.

I don't see why it couldn't work. Especially if Kimchi have already used this method.....
No, course not. Plans do have to be relatively consistent and in place well in advance to fulfil production levels, to marry up with manta's rapid schedule though. You can't really start to schedule that process until you have the total figures in mind. Without those you can't determine cost and realise timescales, which in turn governs your release date. That's a mess.

Manta would have to open preorders with a price safe for them/a non final cost and an estimated or open release date, as you can't determine either unless you know the print run in advance. Why on earth would they bother to do that, just to let consumers dictate their own product run, over making the decision themselves? That's if the decision isn't sat with WB.

Alternatively I guess they could launch a register interest poll for each edition, but you'd have to trust those figures were accurate to plan process, cost and release timescales. Then see the preorder requests fall in and hope they meet the previous interest, which is a poor model. Better to use their own best knowledge on market demand and determine figures.

I'm not saying a few editons haven't been sold this way in the past, but those were all fairly isolated instances and ad hoc releases. It's far from the norm. I just can't see it to be feasible to apply to every release, on the production scale and consistency that Manta operates.

Last edited:
That would solve so many issues. I remember another premium retailer (PlainArchive maybe?) did this a little while back and it worked great... not sure why they didn't continue with it tbh.

I think it was KimchiDVD/The On with their 'The On Masterpiece Collection' keepcase editions. The posts are still on KimchiDVD's Facebook page.

Reactions: Noodles
wasnt it wind river with a certain percentage of the entire stock becoming kimchi exclusive based on what numbers they sell? but there was still a predefined print run of the regular "blu collection" print run, so its different to an actual open preorder