Purchase link: Maleficent (sold-out)
Price: £24.99
Notes: 4,000 copies, Full gloss finish

01.jpg

02.jpg
00.jpg 03.jpg
Maleficent.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Black version is nice, but I would've preferred white. There's no excuse for that lazy back art though, or lack of I should say. I'm pretty disappointed overall, but oh well, it could've been worse... it probably would've turned out silver/metallic if they'd gone with the original mockup anyway.

Reactions: rj531 and lgans316
The main thing that's irked me about this release isn't necessarily the black/white debacle, but the lacklustre approach regards to no back artwork at all.
Steelbooks in my opinion are premium, collectors editions of films where the consumer is paying a premium to get a vastly superior product.
When the designers came up with a half arsed approach to leaving the back blank its almost insulting.
Anyone know if the same design team at Disney design all their steelbooks? (e.g. the Disney Zavvi collection, the Marvel series of steelbooks and releases such as this...)

Received, and to my surprise totally different from advertised!? it's a good job it looks really decent anyway - very nice embossing.
Pretty bad mix up from the studio though and I did like the white version art better so it is a little disappointing.

Reactions: harry and chunk
That's a shame, the black one is nice but I ordered the white one so i think I will be returning it when it arrives. I haven't seen this film yet and I wasn't sure it would be something I would enjoy but the white steelbook was what had me keeping my pre order and giving the film a go.. it'll only take me two weeks to get my money back from zavvi lol. :) I wonder if their ebay outlet has changed their picture and description, as ebay has strong rules about making sure the product is accurately described, zavvi obviously doesn't care about such rules on their own website but they shouldn't get away with it on other websites. I'm honestly not surprised that this has happened, I'm not in the slightest bit annoyed at zavvi either and i think that's because they tend to screw things up or mislead us so often we've dropped any expectations of their company being a good one on any level. I just like it when they drop their prices so low on Steels that it works out cheaper than buying the plastic cases, so for that zavvi, you are the best! Lol.

I really do like the artwork on the front and inside, the back is a massive waste... but for me, it was the white artwork that had me buying, not just because it was white, i preferred the artwork.. oh well :)

Thanks for your pictures. Added them to the OP. :)

Now, personally, I'm really gutted/disappointed it's not the white version since it would have been a KILLER to have a black&white combo with the Spanish edition. BUT, since I loved the Spanish edition since day one (even considered really hard getting it), I'm more than happy we finally get it.
As a lot of you said, I'm a little :angry: at Zavvi for wrong advertisement, BUT as we all know, it's NOT Zavvi's fault. It's Disney. THEY send the seller the info, THEY are responsible for this "communication error" and unfortunately, Zavvi is gonna blamed by everyone while Disney will continue their business as usual.

So, I can't wait to receive this beauty. The embossing is :drool:, the finish looks awesome, the Inside art fits, the back is hum... "lazy" ? Oh and the film is great btw ;)

Hi Drum,

I do actually like the black version. However, I cannot agree that this is not Zavvi's fault.

Disney have sent the info to Zavvi, so up until the stock arrives, its Disney's problem.

However, once Zavvi were in receipt of the stock, then it is Zavvi's responsibility to 1) ensure the product matches what THEY have paid for and 2) let customers know and also change the artwork on the main site, as soon as they became aware of the discrepancy.

Never mind decency from Zavvi, its just common sense for them to do so. I cant agree with them not being liable for this. At best, Disney and Zavvi are to blame, but it was Zavvi that posted these out, not Disney.

As a group buy host, if a retailer sent you a batch of these directly and not to Zavvi, I trust you would message people to tell them, prior to shipping. It should be the same thing for a retailer, even more so given the scale of the units sold.

If buyers overseas take up issue with Zavvi, lets hope they have money aside to pay for return postage - as the buyer wont have to pay. I anticipate a lot of people being told to keep this due to such return costs. And Serves Zavvi right. Shocking.

A company is only as good as its worst employee

Plain back is a waste. But another Ninja on here pointed out that it could have been left like that on purpose to look like a 'magic mirror' that you could see your reflection in!

At least that's what I'll keep telling myself!!! :)

Reactions: PKAVFC
Plain back is a waste. But another Ninja on here pointed out that it could have been left like that on purpose to look like a 'magic mirror' that you could see your reflection in!

At least that's what I'll keep telling myself!!! :)

Why you look into the rear of the steelbook I hope :)

Even though it was TOTALLY wrong the way Zavvi carried out this whole ordeal, I am VERY happy it is the black version. If it had been the white it would have most likey been silver and there probably would have been crappy/no art on the back as well. If not there would have been something else to complain about, I'm sure of it! Just rejoice in the fact that we have a BEAUTIFUL full gloss black steel with AMAZING embossing! A definite contender for steel of the year in my book! Despite the plain back.

Oh and one last thing, can we all please come to the agreement that we must NEVER take Zavvi's word and post it here like its the gospel?? "Yes, it's white...just like its pictured on our website. Yup! I'm holding it right now!" Their customer service reps know NOTHING and its a damn shame.

Reactions: BradG1984