UK
Release date: October 13th, 2014
Purchase Link: Zavvi
Price:
£12.99

Re-Release
Release Date:
July 31st ,2017
Purchase link: Zavvi (Pre-orders will be live from around 6pm UK time on Saturday July 1st 2017)
Price: £15.99
Notes: Limited to 1000 Units

moon.jpg

Attachments

• thumb.jpg
    thumb.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 58,095
Last edited by a moderator:
I personally don't care wherher its Zavvi re-releasing steelbooks or the film studios, i really don't care. What i do care a little bit about, and i've said this before, is that if a steelbook is touted as "LIMITED", then i think it stands to reason that when it's sold out that means it's gone.........never to be released as that again. You wanna re-release it again? Fine, stick it in an amaray. But if you sell it as a "LIMITED EDITION STEELBOOK" then it is ( or should be) exactly that........a LIMITED EDITION STEELBOOK. And when it's gone, it's gone. The more LIMITED something is, then the rarer it is. And the rarer something is, then the more COLLECTABLE it is. And i personally like it that way. Sure, the studios, Zavvi, etc, can re-release whatever they want, whenever they want, blah, blah, blah......heard it all before. For collectors, they are killing the game - not necessarily because a sought after steelie may drop in value, but because having something rare or special, that exists in limited numbers is actually quite nice, IMO. ( Of course, the more limited or rarer makes it more desirable, thus potentially driving up resale value - I have no qualms with that). It's what drives COLLECTING.......again, IMO.

I personally don't care wherher its Zavvi re-releasing steelbooks or the film studios, i really don't care. What i do care a little bit about, and i've said this before, is that if a steelbook is touted as "LIMITED", then i think it stands to reason that when it's sold out that means it's gone.........never to be released as that again. You wanna re-release it again? Fine, stick it in an amaray. But if you sell it as a "LIMITED EDITION STEELBOOK" then it is ( or should be) exactly that........a LIMITED EDITION STEELBOOK. And when it's gone, it's gone. The more LIMITED something is, then the rarer it is. And the rarer something is, then the more COLLECTABLE it is. And i personally like it that way. Sure, the studios, Zavvi, etc, can re-release whatever they want, whenever they want, blah, blah, blah......heard it all before. For collectors, they are killing the game - not necessarily because a sought after steelie may drop in value, but because having something rare or special, that exists in limited numbers is actually quite nice, IMO. ( Of course, the more limited or rarer makes it more desirable, thus potentially driving up resale value - I have no qualms with that). It's what drives COLLECTING.......again, IMO.

If you only care about how collectible it is, just buy numbered premium editions. The print run is defined at the time of sale. I buy steelbooks because I enjoy them and the movies, not because they are collectible or because they will go up in value.

If you only care about how collectible it is, just buy numbered premium editions. The print run is defined at the time of sale. I buy steelbooks because I enjoy them and the movies, not because they are collectible or because they will go up in value.
Personally, i don't just buy steelbooks "because they are collectable or go up in value", even though i do like that. I have to either like the film alot ( so the movie itself will have re-watch value for me) or if i am curious about a movie, never seen it, and it has a steelbook release that is going cheap, then i'll go for it. But, like i said before, if a steelbook is touted as a "limited edition" , then at some point it sells out, then that should be it - no more print run in that format. It undermines the concept of "limited edition". Re-release? Why? Just print more amarays. I don't have any problem with un-limited "steelbook editions" that they churn out - for instance, some of the steelpaks for around £7. But when they say "Limited" then it should be LIMITED. I don't have this particular steelbook ( Moon) but when i saw it back on re-release, i thought "What? Hasn't this already had a limited steelbook release?!" YEP!

That's me. I buy steelbooks for the movie and the neat packaging/cover. I couldn't care less if a steelbook i already own gets suddenly re-released or if it's 500 or 5000 limited. Actually i'm happy for those who get a chance to grab a neat steelbook again, in case they missed it before. Also: less scalpers. Horrible to see how scalpers who doesn't care at all about the movie, just buys them to sell them at huge prices to collectors.

I can understand both sides here but I think the "well if you want something limited by a premium 500/5000 now numbered release" argument is a tiny bit flawed in the sense that not everyone has the luxury of getting a blue fans release for example and paying a **** load for it along with the delivery. If you have something in your region and your country being released as a limited edition steelbook only for it to also feature a great price then it's obviously going to temp someone more if they like limited edition stuff.

I got the first run because I like the film and would have picked it up regardless but to show it off as a limited edition steelbook, it selling out only to see it back in stock it does feel a little cruddy you have to admit. Not the end of the world but not something that should have happened

Personally I think it's time but Zavvi did number their steelbooks and I mean the ones which are more "premium" so people know even if it is re released they got an original not a re run

• Thanks
Reactions: Vegano
The only question I can think to ask at this point in time is, "Are these steelbook re-issues exactly the same as the original releases . . . same finish and same 'bossing ?"
If so, new collectors are in for a treat especially with THE GREEN HORNET (HMV excl.) and WORLD WAR Z (Entertainment Store excl.) coming up towards the end of this month (in Italy). The other re-releases are OK too including this one, MOON (Zavvi excl.), HANSEL & GRETEL: WITCH HUNTERS (ES excl.) and SALT (HMV excl.) as just three examples.
All of the above to appear at Zavvi (or HMV) . . . 1,000 units each . . . sometime in August?

RE: WORLD WAR Z - The original Entertainment Store exclusive with sticker will be only one that cannot be mixed up with the re-issue (even if the finish is the same on both) - even unsealed without the ES exclusive sticker - as that has a laser etched number on the steelbook front (up to 5,000 if I remember correctly) just under the J-card.

Last edited:
I can understand both sides here but I think the "well if you want something limited by a premium 500/5000 now numbered release" argument is a tiny bit flawed in the sense that not everyone has the luxury of getting a blue fans release for example and paying a **** load for it along with the delivery. If you have something in your region and your country being released as a limited edition steelbook only for it to also feature a great price then it's obviously going to temp someone more if they like limited edition stuff.

I got the first run because I like the film and would have picked it up regardless but to show it off as a limited edition steelbook, it selling out only to see it back in stock it does feel a little cruddy you have to admit. Not the end of the world but not something that should have happened

Personally I think it's time but Zavvi did number their steelbooks and I mean the ones which are more "premium" so people know even if it is re released they got an original not a re run
Yeah, that's the case with me - i won't pay that kind of money for the premium releases like blufans, etc. All of my steels are from Zavvi and Arrow Video - that's as far as i am willing to go pricewise. Agree with your other points, too.

If Zavvi starts numbering their steelbooks, they are going to charge higher prices. Because what do you expect with $20 steelbooks? You're paying the same price as an amaray (for new releases). You need to spend more money for nicer editions if you want collectibility. In the US, the Rogue One and Logan steelbooks are harder to find just because the Disney and Fox weren't smart enough to print enough to meet demand. Should they have printed less of them? Plenty of collectors were going nuts over missing it in stores. No one claimed that these are "limited" editions. They could have printed 500 and numbered them, but that would just piss off the other 20,000 who wanted it!

I'm with this person. I find it utterly disgraceful that we have been duped into believing that a particular release is LIMITED in number, only for whoever decided to release these (be it the studio producing more, or Zavvi stockpiling them for a later date) to go and announce more several years later - with the EXACT SAME ARTWORK no less! So regardless of whether this is a new print run or just new old stock that has been hoarded for the last three years in a warehouse somewhere, it is deceiving to lead consumers into believing that a product is limited in number when in actual fact what they really mean is that it's limited for a specific time only!

There really needs to be more transparency here. Some collectors may argue, "but we missed out the first time around" or "we are too tight to pay eBay prices", and those newbies are lapping it up because they don't see the bigger picture here. It's not about resale values or collectability anymore - it's about being deceived by retailers like Zavvi, and the shenanigans they continuously pull on their customers! It's stunts like this that lost them their loyal consumer base in the first place, as more and more veteran SteelBook collectors get fed-up of these tricks.

Consumer watchdogs should be brought in to investigate whether unlawful business trading practices have been breached, because to me they have. Advertising a product as "LIMITED TO 1,000" should mean that there are only 1,000 of that product. Not "Limited to 1,000 now, but we'll release another few thousand a few years down the line for those who missed out on these"! This is essentially the same as a country printing new currency to try to escape a depression :rolleyes:

Maybe it's more like "limited to 1000 we can sell right now"....or "limited to 1000 we are getting right now".
I don't think limited is used as in there are only 1000 in total.

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: Starling and JCC
I agree with everybody's arguements. I like to think that I have something a bit unique, numbered and rare, then all this happens, eg. more copies, different re-issues etc.
But, the other part of me wonders why I am getting so bothered about it. It's a steel casing for a movie. I have said before that the enjoyment is no longer there for me due to the prices these days. I look at my Iron Man, Iron Man 2, Thor, Captain America... all beautiful, and all approx £10 when I got them from Play and HMV. We're now looking at approx £55 from premium retailers just for a cardboard box to hide it away in and a special number on it! That's £40 for a sleeve, a number and some art cards. What a mark up!! I feel so stupid for spending such silly money.
If I have enjoyed a film and want to buy it for future enjoyment, then if it's in a steelbook, I'll order it from HMV or Zavvi, if not, no biggy.
The cost is just far too high now.
As I said earlier I understand both arguements, but do you really want the film because its a low number or do you want it as a nice addition to your collection. If it's a really nice steelbook and it's re-released, then remember how you felt when you first got it in the post and looked at it.I think it's great that collectors starting out can get that same feeling I got and good luck to them. If it was me now, I'd run in the opposite direction and not even start!! Lol!!

• Thanks
Reactions: Lutzo and JCC
Is that ...... a Martin Ansin Steelbook ...

tumblr_mlh5itpEM41rl52wjo1_500.gif

maybe not , but now it has me wondering who created the design first. Did Ansin do the circle design and put rockwell in the middle or was he told to make a poster that resembled the theatrical poster or was the theatrical a mash up of what he did. hmmmmmmmmmm

Moon_screenprint_variant_UK_MartinAnsin_AllCity-1.jpg

- Not stockpiled/hoarded in a Zavvi warehouse (for almost three years in this case)
1,000 steelbooks taking up valuable warehouse space for three years? Somehow, I don't think so (1,000 steelbooks take up a fair amount of space!)

- Fresh off the press end of this month in fact

- Shared print run with Amazon.It (so far)
upload_2017-7-2_17-26-54.png

. . . and all other re-issues probably finding their way to the U.K. (again) sooner or later (SALT, WW Z, GREEN HORNET, H&G: WITCH HUNTERS)

- Not unusual that limited edition steelbooks exclusive to one retailer appear with another retailer once exclusivity has run out (even a few months later). Happens a fair bit here in the U.K. (and elsewhere?)

- Shared print runs not unusual too.
When you see "Limited to 500/1,000 or even 2,000" you can be pretty sure that those figures are out of 4,000 (at least) so even though you may have a steelbook one out of 500 with a U.K. J-card the actual steelbook itself can be quite common . . . the true limited bit being the U.K. J-card.
The only diff would be when it's only one territory doing a 4K or 3D disc for example (which doesn't appear to be a common scenario)

- Yes, I suppose Zavvi are free to decide which steelbooks they wish to stock and, yes, I imagine they can refuse what's offered to them . . . but why should they? Bad business practice.
etc. etc.

To be truly collectable you unsurprisingly need to pay heavily for the privilege and buy premium editions but (a) I don't know how good those are for investment purposes and when push comes to shove whether or not you'll be able to get back your investment and (b) how re-issues affect the values of original U.K. steelbooks (as I'm a buyer and not a seller) but I expect that most of the 800 or so OOP U.K. steelbooks will return at least what was paid for them . . . hopefully.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RE: MARTIN ANSIN MOON ARTWORK- As far as I can make out the original theatrical poster was designed by All City Media with the central image of Sam Rockwell created at a later date by Martin Ansin because the original photo of Rockwell didn't transfer as well to the screen-printing process as an illustration.

Original film poster
sb7d5xlc.jpg
blog_MoonForBlog.jpg

. . . and Martin Ansin variant:-
s-l500.jpg

42_moon-detail.jpg

. . . in gold (and silver variant):-

Last edited:
All steelbooks should come with a free slap in the face in the form of 'guess what, this will be re re released further down the line, so you can give up any hope of your copy being worth more further down the line.......
Apologies for the cynicism...........

If Zavvi starts numbering their steelbooks, they are going to charge higher prices. Because what do you expect with $20 steelbooks? You're paying the same price as an amaray (for new releases). You need to spend more money for nicer editions if you want collectibility. In the US, the Rogue One and Logan steelbooks are harder to find just because the Disney and Fox weren't smart enough to print enough to meet demand. Should they have printed less of them? Plenty of collectors were going nuts over missing it in stores. No one claimed that these are "limited" editions. They could have printed 500 and numbered them, but that would just piss off the other 20,000 who wanted it!

If Zavvi charges half of what we all pay for a blu fans import to the UK where it's limited, numbered, has little goodies and amazing artwork then I'd pay it

In the end it would still be cheaper then what we pay for imported steelbooks

This argument has been done to death. I have learnt to be content with the fact that re-releases are a part of Steelbook collecting. There's no point wasting time complaining about it because it isn't going to change.

Amen to that. I don't think steelbooks are a viable form of long term investing. Same with modern comic books and baseball cards. And it's usually the ones that no one thinks are worth much long term that end up being worth the most, because people aren't hoarding them.

Last edited:
And it's usually the ones that no one thinks are worth much long term that end up being worth the most, because people aren't hording them.
Yes, talking about hoarding . . . if it wasn't for plentiful shelving units it would be a bit of an obstacle course getting from one end of my study to the other . . .

When people ask how much you've spent on your hobby over the past five years you can either plead ignorance and say you can't possibly work it out . . .
hiddleston-counting.gif

. . . or give them the "mind your own business" look . . .
tarsir.gif

. . . or shrug it off . . .
rashida-jones-the-office-shrug-gif.gif

If they say you've bought enough already you can either agree and admit to your obsession . . .
tumblr_n6mc5ejCzQ1qf7u7jo1_500.gif

. . . or refuse to listen . . .
ufx0Oil.gif

. . . or even admit that you don't see a problem with hoarding/collecting steelbooks . . .
Enchanted-Isthatabadthing.gif

. . . and although you may agree to cut back we all know . . .
its-a-big-fat-lie-gif.gif

When they ask if you've open and watched all the films the only honest answer can be . . .
no-no-silly-child-no.gif

At the end of the day it's nobody's business but your own . . . and . . .
Judy.gif

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: JCC
Interseting how its people with connections within the industry are defending the practices or re-releases.

They sure don't represent my views.

I don't really care too much either way about Re-Releases, but I don't really get those recent ones: I've never heard anybody looking for either "Elysium" or "Moon". I've been looking for things like "Jaws", "Once upon a time in America", "Man on Fire", "Evil Dead 2", "Army of Darkness" etc. for ages, but if I had looked for "Elysium" or "Moon", I could have always picked those up on the secondary market for below cost price....