Released: August 9, 2016
Purchase:
Amazon US
Amazon UK
Zavvi.com

0.jpg

No Man's Sky

1.jpg

No Man's Sky is an upcoming science fiction video game developed and published by Hello Games. It will feature a procedurally generated open world.

The game is seen to feature planetary exploration, deep oceans, space-based battles, and potential predators on the various procedurally-generated worlds. Each world has its own ecosystem with potentially unforgiving conditions, such as desert worlds with large carnivorous worms.

Players are initially given a totally uncharted universe to explore, where information about any planet's characteristics and lifeforms may be shared and updated with others.

VGX Trailer:

E3 Trailer:

No Man's Sky will be making its console debut on PlayStation 4.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, that final trailer plus the hype from friends has convinced me to reorder the limited edition. Not sure when I'll actually find the time to play it though, but as always when it comes to gaming... I'll make time! :p

You caved! :LOL:

Glad to hear that your friends have been enjoying it. The reviews have been everywhere so far. Seems like you'll either love it or you'll hate it. Honestly, the survival element keeps me iffy. I love mindlessly exploring, but it sounds annoying how you have to constantly mine for elements to keep yourself and your ship alive. That said, I'm pretty sure that the thrill of zooming in and out of the atmospheres of different planets will be exciting enough to keep a smile on my face. I'll most likely be joining the NMS club next week after payday. :)

You caved! :LOL:

Glad to hear that your friends have been enjoying it. The reviews have been everywhere so far. Seems like you'll either love it or you'll hate it. Honestly, the survival element keeps me iffy. I love mindlessly exploring, but it sounds annoying how you have to constantly mine for elements to keep yourself and your ship alive. That said, I'm pretty sure that the thrill of zooming in and out of the atmospheres of different planets will be exciting enough to keep a smile on my face. I'll most likely be joining the NMS club next week after payday. :)
Haha I always cave... if I can afford to. :p

The survival and fight elements are the main two things that leave me feeling unsure too... but friends have told me that they're easy enough to avoid once you get used to everything, and they've mainly just been exploring and "chilling" in the game, but say that survival can actually be quite fun! I decided I want to find out for myself anyway, because I hate being uncertain about things... especially when it's something as unique looking as No Man's Sky. I'd rather play it and know for sure that it's not for me, than not play it and miss out on a game I might love... and if I do dislike it, then hopefully I won't have any trouble selling/trading the limited edition.

Haha I always cave... if I can afford to. :p

The survival and fight elements are the main two things that leave me feeling unsure too... but friends have told me that they're easy enough to avoid once you get used to everything, and they've mainly just been exploring and "chilling" in the game, but say that survival can actually be quite fun! I decided I want to find out for myself anyway, because I hate being uncertain about things... especially when it's something as unique looking as No Man's Sky. I'd rather play it and know for sure that it's not for me, than not play it and miss out on a game I might love... and if I do dislike it, then hopefully I won't have any trouble selling/trading the limited edition.

Well that's great to hear! I'm tempted to go for the LE, too -- not too sure. I'd probably go for the UK one, too, since I like the packaging way more than the U.S. one.

This could be a great game to wrap up my tenure as a hardcore gamer, too. I went from casual, occasional gamer (early Nintendo days) to gaming fanboy when the PlayStation and Metal Gear Solid 1 arrived. Over the years, I've fallen in love with a lot of new series -- Uncharted, the Team ICO titles, the thatgamecompany titles -- so MGS or not, I've enjoyed my stay. But I just found out that I have Carpal Tunnel Syndrome in both my hands and it's getting worse. Today is a very bad day. I think I may have to retire from gaming by the end of the year. I have The Last Guardian on pre-order and a few back-titles to play, but then I think I'm closing the book on this chapter of my life (and I'll really only re-visit it for a new Naughty Dog or thatgamecompany game). The pain isn't worth it. I do a lot with my hands -- editing/moderating HDN and writing my screenplays and novel -- so something has to take the cut. Sadly, that'll probably be gaming. :(

• Thanks
Reactions: Noodles
Well that's great to hear! I'm tempted to go for the LE, too -- not too sure. I'd probably go for the UK one, too, since I like the packaging way more than the U.S. one.

This could be a great game to wrap up my tenure as a hardcore gamer, too. I went from casual, occasional gamer (early Nintendo days) to gaming fanboy when the PlayStation and Metal Gear Solid 1 arrived. Over the years, I've fallen in love with a lot of new series -- Uncharted, the Team ICO titles, the thatgamecompany titles -- so MGS or not, I've enjoyed my stay. But I just found out that I have Carpal Tunnel Syndrome in both my hands and it's getting worse. Today is a very bad day. I think I may have to retire from gaming by the end of the year. I have The Last Guardian on pre-order and a few back-titles to play, but then I think I'm closing the book on this chapter of my life (and I'll really only re-visit it for a new Naughty Dog or thatgamecompany game). The pain isn't worth it. I do a lot with my hands -- editing/moderating HDN and writing my screenplays and novel -- so something has to take the cut. Sadly, that'll probably be gaming. :(
Damn, really sorry to hear that dude... that sucks. :(

You actually just reminded me about my arthritis that started two years ago and seems to be getting worse every winter... my hands completely seize up (as well as my knees) and I can hardly even use the keyboard to type, let alone do other things. I started wearing thick gloves last year to keep the joints in my hands warmer, which seemed to help a bit. Are you receiving any treatment for your carpal tunnel bud? My mates dad has bad arthritis in his hands and has to have steroid injections... hopefully ours doesn't get to that stage! :ohno:

At least cutting out gaming means more time for other things anyway mate. Gaming can be a huge distraction for me and I get seriously hooked sometimes, so I actually look forward to the periods where I temporarily fall out of love with it, as it means I'm able to get other stuff done... kind of hoping I manage to get the final stages of decorating done this weekend, as No Man's Sky will no doubt take over my life once it arrives. :p

• Thanks
Reactions: tridon
Damn, really sorry to hear that dude... that sucks. :(

You actually just reminded me about my arthritis that started two years ago and seems to be getting worse every winter... my hands completely seize up (as well as my knees) and I can hardly even use the keyboard to type, let alone do other things. I started wearing thick gloves last year to keep the joints in my hands warmer, which seemed to help a bit. Are you receiving any treatment for your carpal tunnel bud? My mates dad has bad arthritis in his hands and has to have steroid injections... hopefully ours doesn't get to that stage! :ohno:

At least cutting out gaming means more time for other things anyway mate. Gaming can be a huge distraction for me and I get seriously hooked sometimes, so I actually look forward to the periods where I temporarily fall out of love with it, as it means I'm able to get other stuff done... kind of hoping I manage to get the final stages of decorating done this weekend, as No Man's Sky will no doubt take over my life once it arrives. :p

Yeah, man... sucks big time. It started last summer and now this summer it's been twice as bad. There's really nothing that I can do treatment-wise. I can get this special gloves to help with the pain, but other than that, the next step is surgery. So yeah, I guess that's in my future.

Sorry to hear about your own problems, man. Getting old sure sucks sometimes. Adults always told me to enjoy my youth while it was there and I just shrugged it off. Now I wish I would've listened and respected those years more. Like you said, though, cutting out gaming leaves you with a lot of extra hours in the day. I always game in spurts... play three, four, five games back-to-back and then take a few months off.

When I wrote Quiver, I made a pact with myself. I could only play a game in-between drafts. Safe to say, I went around 8 months without gaming in 2010/2011. I honestly didn't really miss it, so I think I'll be okay with this move. Anyway, No Man's Sky seems like it'd be a great game to pull out and screw around with every now and then when I actually feel like gaming. :)

• Thanks
Reactions: Noodles
I seriously don't know what everyone's obsession is with multiplayer, I never once thought I could jump in with 5 mates like destiny.

I thought this game was all about the single player experience, kind of like journey, what you get out of it is what you put in.

• Thanks
My copy arrived earlier today (almost 12 hours ago) and I've literally only just this minute come off it... time flies when you're having fun! Honestly, I'm not actually sure whether I'm enjoying it or not though... it's hard to say, since I feel I'm still getting used to everything and discovering new stuff all the time that confuses me further lol. A lot of it just seems to be about collecting materials to upgrade your gear/ship that has no real purpose at the end of the day... to me it's basically like you're just constantly grinding (Destiny comes to mind), which is never the fun part in any game. Exploring isn't as fun as I'd hoped either... once you've checked out a small area on any planet, then you've pretty much seen it all. At this point I'm actually wanting to engage in a fight (the one thing that was originally putting me off the game), just so that something exciting happens lol. It's still early days yet though, so maybe I'll have more positive things to say about it once I understand it all more and get to grips with how certain things work exactly. At the moment, I'd definitely say it's just a game to waste a few hours on by yourself when you're bored and don't want to play anything blood pumping like CoD etc.

I'm still waiting for my console so I can start playing ;)
Well I hope you think the wait was worth it mate. Personally, I got bored of this game after the second day of playing... it literally just feels like you're constantly grinding to be rewarded with nothing. (n)

I read something on Reddit yesterday which pointed out a lot of stuff that was promised in the game, but they either turned out to be a complete lie or were removed from the final release for whatever reason.

I honestly can't remember the last time I regretted buying a game this much, but I've no one to blame but myself... despite not being too impressed by the trailers, I got caught up in the hype. And to think I cancelled other orders just so that I could afford this... :(

Last edited:
  • Thanks

Damn, some of those bugs are the worst I've seen in a game. I've only experienced one so far, but then I haven't really played it much... basically I was using hyperspeed to travel to the space station, and it's supposed to automatically slow you down once you get to your destination. However, mine glitched and flew me straight in to the side of the station... rather than my ship exploding, I just became stuck to it and had to restart the game. Oh, and I've had a few crashes when loading a previous save too... sometimes consecutively.

Reactions: luke98