Open Or Sealed? The Debate

Open or Keep Sealed? (Multiple Answers ok)

• I open all of my Steelbooks and watch them

Votes: 227 61.5%
  • I open none of my Steelbooks-I buy/rent Amaray/inferior Steel to watch

Votes: 28 7.6%
  • I open only the non-'rare' Steelbooks, keep the rest sealed

Votes: 52 14.1%
  • I fall somewhere in between-I open 50%/keep sealed 50%

Votes: 41 11.1%
  • It depends on the title completely

Votes: 50 13.6%
  • Doesn't apply-I don't buy Steelbooks

Votes: 2 0.5%

• Total voters
Feb 2, 2010
Vancouver BC
How many people open their Steelbooks when they buy them or do you just leave them sealed.

So far i have 13 Steelbooks and have opened 3 i opened Angels and Demons,Inglorious Bastards and District 9.

I fear if i open my pirates and nightmare before christmas ones i will have to modify them to be able to put the discs in and not have them in a sleeve

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: NoDingsNoScratches
Yeah, I think if you look at anyone that has a "hobby", there are many "shades of gray". The same holds true for Steelbooks-ultimately it is totally up to the person what matters to them the most. One collector may break out in hives at the thought of cracking a seal, and another may break out in a sweat at the thought of running her hands over an ice cold Steelbook out of its packaging...

Oh wait, I seem to be talking about myself in that very last bit...or maybe it's the two cups of coffee I had prior to a staff meeting this morning, that's making my heart flutter?
:naughty:

Here at HDN, collectors come in all "shades of gray"...really cool to see everyone chiming in regarding their preferences! :scat:

I actually get a rush when I open a Steelbook. I very much enjoy breaking the seal, cracking it open, checking out the build quality and artwork of the SteelBook, and watching the movie. I keep them sealed until I watch the film, though, which is why my collection is about half open and half sealed right now.

My problem is I go back to VHS days. I have some very rare items that they don't even list anymore. At most shows, when I tell sellers what i have, they are almost willing to give me any things for the items I have.

Yeah, when they are on no other media... There are a lot of classic stuff that never made it to DVD or Blu Ray.

Keyez-very interesting-I've noticed some DVD's go for some ridiculous prices. And I own some discs (not Steelbooks), for which I paid a couple hundred each, due to rarity, over the years. Media formats and their extinction at various points in the recorded media history is a very interesting topic to me.

--SNIP-- One collector may break out in hives at the thought of cracking a seal, and another may break out in a sweat at the thought of running her hands over an ice cold Steelbook out of its packaging...
Oh wait, I seem to be talking about myself in that very last bit...or maybe it's the two cups of coffee I had prior to a staff meeting this morning, that's making my heart flutter?
:naughty:

Here at HDN, collectors come in all "shades of gray"...really cool to see everyone chiming in regarding their preferences! :scat:

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Strange DB, after that comment of yours I've opened the last five SB's I've received in quick succession, albeit I had sealed copies of each !!

I've only ever cracked open one SB in a moment of weakness (EEK!), Iron-Man 1 + 2.

If I want to see the film, I rent.

I guess I'm the other type of collector, minty mint and sealed :emb:

i started out keeping all my steels sealed, and having an open amaray to watch.
then i woke up the huge value of films on my shelf that were in essence, veeery expensive dust holders.
i decided either to stop with steelbooks, or open them. either way, double dipping was out.
so i sold the amarays and kept the steels.
i have also been dead against having digibooks as well steels/amarays of the same film.
but now i might have to concede and double dip where there is a steel and digibook though. i dont want to, but i love steels, and i love digibooks.

i have now started to open some of my steelbooks after years of collecting and never opening them i have now opened some and finnally started to watch the movie and enjoy the nice artwork.

So I've been watching some un-boxing videos of various SteelBooks and I'm slowly realizing just how much I am missing by not opening some of mine. Not only do I miss out on inside and sometimes rear artwork, but the SteelBooks just look better with their wrappings off, IMHO.

For example, I was watching an un-boxing of Inception (US) and hadn't realized how glossy and nice the artwork looked as it actually looks quire drab in its wrappings.

And I've got a Tron Legacy (GER) on the way that I'm contemplating opening to fully enjoy the artwork, even though I already have the US Blu-ray with lenticular slipcover.

Am I crazy?

I open all of my releases because want to see the inside art on steelbooks and also for making pictures of it.

I watch all the stuff I collect but after opening immediately placing them in protective bag and keeping that way so they will stay in 'as new' condition....

---------- Post added at 03:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:40 PM ----------

Thinking about wrap bags I do need a little help.

I recently bought about 500 blu-ray bags off ebay for about $35 including shipping.

I bought from the same seller years ago and first 100 bags I got from him were really nice, perfect for steelbooks, UK blu-rays and also used them for CDs. They were quite thick and that what I liked about them.

So I asked the same seller if he have any more, he said he did although they were not listed on ebay. Asked for 500 and I received really thin bad quality bags which were only for the US size blu-rays. No way I can get steelbook or UK blu-ray in it.

Hopefully I will resolve the situation somehow and will get my money back.

Therefore I wanted to ask you guys if you can point me in the right direction where I can buy blu-ray wrap bags of a good quality, thicker I guess, and also for reasonable price.

I'm on a really tight budget and can't afford to pay $20 for 100 bags.

Is there any other way for me to get proper quality bags so I can protect my collection?

Any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks

i'm opening all of my SB. i buy these beauty to watch them. and i don't do double dips :p i'm currently selling almost all of my dvd's to upgrade it to BD & some to SB :D so no double dip :p

I open them also. I always wonder why people always advertise steelbooks as sealed and mint. if it's sealed, theres no way to know if its mint or not