Open Or Sealed? The Debate

Open or Keep Sealed? (Multiple Answers ok)

• I open all of my Steelbooks and watch them

Votes: 227 61.5%
  • I open none of my Steelbooks-I buy/rent Amaray/inferior Steel to watch

Votes: 28 7.6%
  • I open only the non-'rare' Steelbooks, keep the rest sealed

Votes: 52 14.1%
  • I fall somewhere in between-I open 50%/keep sealed 50%

Votes: 41 11.1%
  • It depends on the title completely

Votes: 50 13.6%
  • Doesn't apply-I don't buy Steelbooks

Votes: 2 0.5%

• Total voters
Feb 2, 2010
Vancouver BC
How many people open their Steelbooks when they buy them or do you just leave them sealed.

So far i have 13 Steelbooks and have opened 3 i opened Angels and Demons,Inglorious Bastards and District 9.

I fear if i open my pirates and nightmare before christmas ones i will have to modify them to be able to put the discs in and not have them in a sleeve

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: NoDingsNoScratches
I usually open all of mine. Look at them and place them in the thicker poly bags so they do not get damaged on the shelf. I find the factory wrap is a lot of times tearing anyways. Especially from Amazon overseas. The only ones I have kept sealed are my Disney steelbooks. All of the others are in bags where you can see both front and back cover art. But like anything its preference. If someone makes a living selling and buying these I can see why you wouldn't open them. But for someone who collects them and doesn't try and make a profit then I see no harm in opening them. As long as you treat them good. Now if I got a sealed Iron Man that's a different story.

Is there a particular type of bag you use to put the SBs in?

I usually open all of mine. Look at them and place them in the thicker poly bags so they do not get damaged on the shelf. I find the factory wrap is a lot of times tearing anyways. Especially from Amazon overseas. The only ones I have kept sealed are my Disney steelbooks. All of the others are in bags where you can see both front and back cover art. But like anything its preference. If someone makes a living selling and buying these I can see why you wouldn't open them. But for someone who collects them and doesn't try and make a profit then I see no harm in opening them. As long as you treat them good. Now if I got a sealed Iron Man that's a different story.

Is there a particular type of bag you use to put the SBs in?

I use these. They work great. For the Blu ray sized steels I cut right above the adhesive strip and it fits them perfectly and seals on top. I also cut the edges a bit so I dont have them sticking off the side of the shelf. I have yet to find actual blu ray sized bags.

I do and will open all of them except for IM (FS) and John Rambo GER 2ndE those will remain close forever.

All region B w/o Spanish subs are replaced with US or MX release, I sent them to a friend in México City to exchange on flea market called Salto del Agua.

All of my collection remains sealed. For a number of them it is strictly for value, and others just because I cannot bring myself to crack that seal, the last step in the 12-step "Cure the OCD" process.

There are a few I would open i a second, but unfortunately there are B's and I cannot play them anyway

Cheers
CrashKelly

^ Master (OCD permanently in rehab) has spoken!!

bow.gif

Have them all seemed so obtainable like a year ago ... then it got hella crazy lol.

Have them all seemed so obtainable like a year ago ... then it got hella crazy lol.

Absolutely. It seemed to just rip wide open during the last month or two of last year with all the multi-country same cover releases and then the Disney's all of a sudden appearing at BestBuy in the states.

Just before that, I was 1 steelbook away from having them all, I was missing the Play.com Sweeney Todd and booklet with proper Play.com UPC

Cheers
CrashKelly

I open them all because I buy them for the enjoyment of watching them. I don't but Steelbooks thinking I'm going to sell them in the future to make a profit.
If I had an sealed copy of FS Iron Man I would open it without even second guessing myself.

i have all my releases sealed still,i am some what a collector & enjoy the art of the steel book,I'm crazy enough to buy the normal plastic blue case & watched that with the steel book sealed.

cause you do know ironman retails around $250 now a day's :)