Open Or Sealed? The Debate

Open or Keep Sealed? (Multiple Answers ok)

• I open all of my Steelbooks and watch them

Votes: 227 61.5%
  • I open none of my Steelbooks-I buy/rent Amaray/inferior Steel to watch

Votes: 28 7.6%
  • I open only the non-'rare' Steelbooks, keep the rest sealed

Votes: 52 14.1%
  • I fall somewhere in between-I open 50%/keep sealed 50%

Votes: 41 11.1%
  • It depends on the title completely

Votes: 50 13.6%
  • Doesn't apply-I don't buy Steelbooks

Votes: 2 0.5%

• Total voters
Feb 2, 2010
Vancouver BC
How many people open their Steelbooks when they buy them or do you just leave them sealed.

So far i have 13 Steelbooks and have opened 3 i opened Angels and Demons,Inglorious Bastards and District 9.

I fear if i open my pirates and nightmare before christmas ones i will have to modify them to be able to put the discs in and not have them in a sleeve

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: NoDingsNoScratches
I buy to open and watch too, as long as I keep them from getting scratched I don't mind. Just need a bigger shelf now to house my growing collection! Don't think the wife will be too happy about that though!!

I open most of mine, the only ones i keep sealed are the ones i either haven't got round to watching yet or allready have the amaray blu-ray.

The very first bluray steelbooks I bought was Gangs of New York and No Country for Old Men...I was intrigued and wanted to see what the fuss was all about...I opened them up and ended up cutting the card to fit inside the case. Now I have about 83 (including the odd Iron Packs) and will probably open most of them...

iv bought 5 so far and they are all sealed still. im considering just buying the same film in the ameray version because they are cheaper does anyone else do that

I've bought a few doubles of the ones I really like so I can have one open and one sealed. I've yet to open most of mine becasue I haven't had the time to watch all of them, but I think I will eventually. IMHO they look much better when opened than they do sealed. Appreciating the art is also much easier with all the sleeves, plastic, and stickers off the Steel.

The thing, for me at least, is that I don't want to sell mine unless I have a double. Years down the road they will probably be mostly worthless once the Blu-ray format in its current incarnation becomes obsolete. Just look at Laserdiscs and DVDs on Ebay and there are few and far between that are actually worth anything.

I think in the end it's all about enjoyment, and for me the fun is in opening the Steel, enjoying the artwork, and watching the film. I'll keep my open Steels in the best shape I can in case they are worth something down the road, but I'd rather invest my money in something else if I was looking for a true monetary return in the future.

Last edited:
i open all of my steelbooks. i dont like when they have all the exlclusive stickers on them and the cardboard on the back, i like them to look very clean. it can be the holy grail john rambo and i'd still open it.

90% of my steelbooks are opened. I like to watch my movies and enjoy the inside art (when available) :oohyeah:

I open all my steelbooks when I plan on watching them and then put it in a sleeve right away. I still have a bunch sealed but those will be opened eventually when I decided to watch it.