Open Or Sealed? The Debate

Open or Keep Sealed? (Multiple Answers ok)

• I open all of my Steelbooks and watch them

Votes: 227 61.5%
  • I open none of my Steelbooks-I buy/rent Amaray/inferior Steel to watch

Votes: 28 7.6%
  • I open only the non-'rare' Steelbooks, keep the rest sealed

Votes: 52 14.1%
  • I fall somewhere in between-I open 50%/keep sealed 50%

Votes: 41 11.1%
  • It depends on the title completely

Votes: 50 13.6%
  • Doesn't apply-I don't buy Steelbooks

Votes: 2 0.5%

• Total voters
Feb 2, 2010
Vancouver BC
How many people open their Steelbooks when they buy them or do you just leave them sealed.

So far i have 13 Steelbooks and have opened 3 i opened Angels and Demons,Inglorious Bastards and District 9.

I fear if i open my pirates and nightmare before christmas ones i will have to modify them to be able to put the discs in and not have them in a sleeve

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: NoDingsNoScratches
I open most of mine to see the inside artwork (or to see the back cover art if it's obscured by a glued info sheet).

Terminator Premium Edition ver 1.0 is an exception though...I think it actually looks better with the insert, so I keep it sealed.

I must have 30 odd so far, must be about half open.
Some I traded open, but I dont mind.
All sleeved, but if I fancy watching it, I'll open it.

Update...
Just went through the forums steelbook collection on my profile, can't believe I've bought sooo many. Plus, I think there is a few that arnt in the collection archive....that I have.

Last edited:
i started collecting recently in January, now i have about 28 of them!!!!! all opened. i also swap the discs to the standard blu's. now i have 2 copies of the Expendables and Predators, which are region locked. i have the standard releases and Steelbook ed, i just swapped them out. open , watch, and enjoy!!!!!!!

I open all of mine, like most of u said no point buying it to not watch lol. But i only buy the genuine UK release steelbooks, i have been tempted to buy reagion B ones but i figure i'll stick with my proper English releases, i would hate having diff languages on the steelbook.

i started collecting recently in January, now i have about 28 of them!!!!! all opened. i also swap the discs to the standard blu's. now i have 2 copies of the Expendables and Predators, which are region locked. i have the standard releases and Steelbook ed, i just swapped them out. open , watch, and enjoy!!!!!!!

I've done that, taken my region B discs and put them in the amarays and given them as bonus' as trades to peeps in Europe or traded them to them.

I open all of mine, like most of u said no point buying it to not watch lol. But i only buy the genuine UK release steelbooks, i have been tempted to buy reagion B ones but i figure i'll stick with my proper English releases, i would hate having diff languages on the steelbook.

There are a slight few that dont have diff language, that you could score. (or region free USA ones, though we havent had a ton of steels released yet ... just wait till this year though :naughty: )

I'm like Wreck, I do not open them. I'm a collector. I collect everything from vinyl records to Star Wars figures to McDonald's Happy meal toys.

Mainly I like to keep the stuff that I collect mint and sealed so as to retain it's resale value but I just love keeping them in their manufacturers casing, with exception to vinyl of course depending on the rarity of the record. Something about it being untarnished is much more pleasing to ogle over.

I just started collecting steels and most of them I do have duplicates in amarays for viewing. If not I will just rent the darn movie.

Open or Sealed?

After collecting for years, I have to look at this site to see what's actually in some of my collectibles. The question is, Open them or keeped them Sealed? I always believed they would be worth more unopened, but you can't enjoy the glory as much looking through the plastic. Please feel free to share your opinions on this.

It depends what the item is, for me. Most of my Blu-ray collectors editions, like Dark Knight, Inglorious Basterds, Inception, I have opened because I like how they look on display. To me, that's the value in it, although I have kept the original packaging just in case.

I open most of my Steelbooks, as well, since I like to watch them and enjoy the SteelBook itself, check out its inside artwork, etc. But some SteelBooks that I've double dipped on that I have regular Amarays of also, like avatar, I've left sealed.

So for me, I guess its a mixed bag.

absolutely and positive open them!, for me that the meaning of life to enjoy every second :)

no matter english, chinese, italian, german covers they were made to be open, region B's as Pulp Fiction remains close until A version comes out or Iron Man FS keeped sealed as life saver if is needed.

The only time I have an opened steel is if I bought it that way or if I have at least 5 extra on hand. :D

+1 Usually have 2 spare to before I open the SB think 5 is a bit excessive (although I did go ever so slightly overboard with The Green Hornet) I got plenty of them. Let's say quite a few more than 5 and leave it there. :rolleyes:

For me, life is too short for me to keep them sealed. I am not concerned with value, but how they look visually and how much I can enjoy them. I protect them and value them, personally, but I will open each as I watch them.

I was just thinking about other's opinions on this issue the other day...nice to see a thread about it...my first 2 steelbooks (just last year when I caught the collecting bug) were No Country for Old Men and Gangs of NY, I quickly opened them to see what the fuss was all about and I even cut off the cardboard to fit the inside of the steelbook! now most of them are sealed except for the Disney ones which my kids enjoyed watching too...but might look for a decent used ones to open, I recently found a Mechanic and Batman begins used and open ones at half price !

With my digibooks, I have the majority of them sealed, but that is only until I want to watch them. I do have one or two doubles that I think maybe worth trading in the future such as The Sound of Music Target exclusive or Shutter Island Fnac exclusive.

I agree with Db though life's too short to just leave them sealed forever!

My point is, a lot of the Steelbooks have been released on HD before so to me I am double dipping as a collector and watching on other media be it BR or HD DVD (a lot of the early Warners stuff for instance) or just plain DVD.

The Harry Potter 7.1 UK was a example of where it can all go wrong tho. None were shipped sealed to the best of my knowledge. Most, due to the mass shpping methods involved, arrived either dented or scratched. In this instance I am glad I ordered 7 as it meant I had the pick of them, the rest went back. One copy was polybagged and the other is my normal copy which I watch. My normal practise tho would be to buy the amaray if I really wanted to watch the film.