PS4 PlayStation 4 - Main discussion thread

Noodles

Super Moderator
Premium Supporter
Feb 28, 2011
UK

In preparation for tomorrow's announcement, Sony Playstation have released a video which looks back at the evolution of Playstation games and how they pushed the boundaries of play with their innovative titles.

You can watch a global livestream broadcast of the PlayStation Meeting this Wednesday (February 20th, 2013) starting at 6:00pm EST, 3:00pm PST and 11:00pm GMT at these links...

US: https://us.playstation.com/meeting2013/
UK: http://uk.playstation.com/meeting2013/

UPDATE:

8492670863_9a2f640988_z.jpg

A press release reveals the machine will include an 8-core 64-bit x86 "Jaguar" CPU developed by AMD and a Radeon GPU with the capability of terrorizing televisions with 1.84 TFLOPS of gaming goodness.

PlayStation 4 includes a Blu-ray drive that spins game discs a brisk 6X and 8X for DVDs. Additional specs in the release note the, already revealed, 8GB of unified GDDR5 RAM along with 802.11n WiFi capability, USB 3.0 ports, Bluetooth 2.1 and ports for optical audio, HDMI and even legacy analog AV hook-ups. Though the console will have internal storage, Sony did not detail its size.

Sony's plan is to launch its new PlayStation 4 console this holiday season. No specific date or price was revealed during the reveal event.

The PS4's main features include:

• - New DualShock 4 controller with built in touchpad
  • - Dramatically improved graphics and processing power
  • - Based on same X86 chips used in desktop computer to help game developers
  • - 3D camera that can track the controller, and the player
  • - Games can also be played on Sony's Vita handheld console

8492669461_b49583fd3c_z.jpg

The future of PlayStation is all about great games and entertainment, and at PlayStation Meeting 2013, we brought some of the brightest and most creative minds from the development community on stage to unveil the games that will define PS4. A partial initial lineup for PlayStation 4 includes first-party games from Guerilla Games (Killzone: Shadow Fall), Sucker Punch (inFamous Second Son), Evolution Studios (Driveclub), and Japan Studio (Knack), as well as titles from our partners such as Activision/Bungie (Destiny), Blizzard Entertainment (Diablo III), Capcom (Deep Down), and Ubisoft (Watch_Dogs). PlayStation also reinforced its commitment to self-publishing and the independent development community by having Jonathan Blow onstage who gave a sneak peek of his upcoming title The Witness. Finally, the incredible minds at Media Molecule and Quantic Dream gave glimpses of their conceptualization process and the future of gameplay with some remarkable footage. We only scratched the surface at the event, and will have many more exciting titles to come.

8493773646_10ac209e68_z.jpg

Our next generation console will change the way you interact with friends while you play. PlayStation 4 lets you instantly share images and videos of your favorite gameplay moments on Facebook with a single press on the DUALSHOCK 4 controller’s “share” button. You can also broadcast while you play in real-time through Ustream, allowing friends to comment or jump into your game in new ways.

With PlayStation 4 we also want you to access your games quicker than ever before. PS4’s “suspend mode” eliminates the load time on your saved game and allows you to immediately return to where you left off by pressing the power button. PlayStation 4’s background downloading and updating capability also allows you to immediately play digital titles as they download, or update the system when the hardware is powered off.

8493772456_34a85b7767_z.jpg

8493772390_9edab1aa58_n.jpg
8493772388_932586c069_n.jpg

DUALSHOCK 4 adopts the familiar form factor of the DUALSHOCK 3 wireless controller with some key enhancements:
  • - Motion control is enabled by a new highly sensitive six-axis sensor
  • - Dual analog sticks fine-tuned for better precision plus improved surface materials and shape for more delicate manipulation
  • - L2/R2 buttons on the top of the controller employ a curved design for easier, smoother interaction
  • - A new “Options” button combines the functions of the DUALSHOCK 3’s “Select” and “Start” buttons for operating in-game menus

You can see more images of the new DUALSHOCK 4 controller here.

Attachments

• PS.png
    PS.png
    54.7 KB · Views: 6,905
Last edited:
Rumor has it that the PS4 will be sold for 2 separate prices :D the highest being almost $600

F00k thats too much. I assume the base model version will be $450 or thereabout. Either way Im really excited for the next gen in gaming consoles. Exciting times ahead assuming they dont do something really stupid like locking games to one owner.

F00k thats too much. I assume the base model version will be $450 or thereabout. Either way Im really excited for the next gen in gaming consoles. Exciting times ahead assuming they dont do something really stupid like locking games to one owner.

Yeah that's true, gamestop and other used game retailers will go broke :(

Rumor has it that the PS4 will be sold for 2 separate prices :D the highest being almost $600
I wonder who they got that idea from... *cough* Apple *cough* :rolleyes:

If the rumours are true, then personally, I think it's a great idea! Not only for Sony, but obviously for the customers too. It will probably increase their sales as it gives us a "cheaper" alternative.

No matter what happens, I'm still going to give it a year or two before I think about picking one up. All the new/upcoming PS3 titles will no doubt keep me busy for a while. :D

I reading prices could be 429 and 529? that's still pretty expensive. Cheaper to me would mean 329, I wonder how legitimate that leak is or how stripped is the cheaper version?

PS4 time!!! :oohyeah:

I'll be honest, though; I won't be buying one at launch. My PS3 backlog is huge and with games like The Last of Us, Beyond: Two Souls and God of War: Ascension (plus many, many more) being released before the PS4, I just don't see the value in a new console at the moment. That said, this is still a very exciting time for myself and all the other lifelong PS fans out there! :thumbs:

Reactions: bloodsnake007
PS4 better ready with 8K player, ULTRA MAGNUS PRIME HD Video processor, 10 year advanced Audio Codecs and SUPER OMEGA TURBO LIGHTNING MCQUEEN Speed Internet :cool:

If these are the specs announced tomorrow Ill camp overnight to get one of these and then use it to time hop and buy some google stock when it was made public :p

Reactions: bd251 and ocielz
If these are the specs announced tomorrow Ill camp overnight to get one of these and then use is to time hop and buy some google stock :p

Me too :D that'll future proof me for the next 10 year's :D

My Fatty PS3 is still kicking ass and I don't see the need to upgrade it with anything that's in the market right now, player wise. I'm hoping the PS4 will be the same, no need to upgrade until many years from release date. As long as they keep releasing Firmware updates and keeping it on par with all the newer Blu ray players, ill be set:cool:

As far as I remember, the PS3 was launched @ 600 bucks, wasn't it? Having the best version of the PS4 for 529 would still be great, although I don't get my expectations too high 'cause here in Brazil we will likely have it for more than 4k BRL. Just to give you an idea, when the PS3 was laucnhed, some stores sold it for nearly 7k BRL.

Well, let's wait and see.