Sep 15, 2015
Spain
Release date: 15 February 2016
Purchase link: Zavvi (Preorder Live on Saturday 19th December 6PM UK)
Price: £14.99

11208984-1474347718210473.jpg
11208984-2614347718234821.jpg
11208984-1604347718225473.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The front is fine if they treat it right, as others have mentioned. I don't think they could have gotten anything more appropriate - but the back? Having not seen the film, I don't know if there is anything else iconic that they could have used... but surely there must have been something better than the 'g' symbol.

Ah ok fair enough, I thought you didn't like the front. I don't really mind too much about the back as long as it isn't completely terrible and / or irrelevant (like Face/Off) but I can understand why some people like their steels looking good all round.

Reactions: TyoSolo
IMO scraping the barrel with this one as not a fan though the steelbook front does look fine.
It is said this is part of the "Before He Got ****" trilogy along with the marvelous "The Sixth Sense" and the almost equally satisfying "Unbreakable" though how this - - - - can be bracketed with those titles is baffling to me.
Apart from "Unbreakable" the only MNS film I'd love to see get a steelbook (or even an Amaray) release here in the U.K. is the atmospheric and underrated "The Village" as those three titles are his top three IMO.

Reactions: Marc Dooley
Lol scraping the barrel!!
This film has a big following just like all his first 4 films.

Tears of the sun is scraping the barrel

Reactions: DJ IXS and Noodles
IMO scraping the barrel with this one as not a fan though the steelbook front does look fine.
It is said this is part of the "Before He Got ****" trilogy along with the marvelous "The Sixth Sense" and the almost equally satisfying "Unbreakable" though how this - - - - can be bracketed with those titles is baffling to me.
Apart from "Unbreakable" the only MNS film I'd love to see get a steelbook (or even an Amaray) release here in the U.K. is the atmospheric and underrated "The Village" as those three titles are his top three IMO.

Signs is my second favourite MNS movie, after The Sixth Sense. I found The Village a bit rote, I guessed the 'twist' right off the bat, but I agree it has some really nice scenes/shots (the stabbing springs to mind). At the time he was my favourite director, but everything I've seen of his that he released since has been horribly disappointing, with the exception of The Visit - released this year - which I quite liked. Lady In The Water was just awful. The Happening was so bad it was almost good though.

I like the atmosphere, characters, and dialogue in Signs. I know a lot of people take issue with the ending and the reveal of the aliens' weakness but it really never bothered me - it's not like humans refuse to explore environments hazardous to their health in order to extract resources

Reactions: Flloydo
Signs is my second favourite MNS movie, after The Sixth Sense. I found The Village a bit rote, I guessed the 'twist' right off the bat, but I agree it has some really nice scenes/shots (the stabbing springs to mind). At the time he was my favourite director, but everything I've seen of his that he released since has been horribly disappointing, with the exception of The Visit - released this year - which I quite liked. Lady In The Water was just awful. The Happening was so bad it was almost good though.

I like the atmosphere, characters, and dialogue in Signs. I know a lot of people take issue with the ending and the reveal of the aliens' weakness but it really never bothered me - it's not like humans refuse to explore environments hazardous to their health in order to extract resources
Appreciate your comments and can see how "The Village" may appear to some like an extended episode of the late 1950s / early 1960s "The Twilight Zone" TV series. Personally a big fan of both.
Regarding "Signs" (which I bought years ago when it first came out on Blu-ray here): remember watching it just the once and after marking it down as a one star film in my film file I never watched it again because of that . . . so maybe time now to watch it again and give it another chance ?

Admittedly put off by the "aliens making crop circles" nonsense that filled the tabloids some years before the film came out and, yes, we all know how crop circles are made . . . The twist in the tale is that the "croppies" (as believers in extraterrestrial activity causing said circles) consider human creators of the circles as the hoaxers . . . LOL
Certainly true though that great minds can believe in just about anything and you have only to consider the example of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, who we all know and love as the creator of the fictional super-detective Sherlock Holmes with his powers of logic and deduction, to realise the discrepancy between the written word ("Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth") and the reality that Sir ACD apparently believed wholeheartedly in the Cottingley fairies (hoax) photos !

Haven't watched "Tears of the Sun" yet so have no opinion either way though surely not as bad as "Striking Distance" ?

Last edited:
Appreciate your comments and can see how "The Village" may appear to some like an extended episode of the late 1950s / early 1960s "The Twilight Zone" TV series. Personally a big fan of both.
Regarding "Signs" (which I bought years ago when it first came out on Blu-ray here): remember watching it just the once and after marking it down as a one star film in my film file I never watched it again because of that . . . so maybe time now to watch it again and give it another chance ?

Admittedly put off by the "aliens making crop circles" nonsense that filled the tabloids some years before the film came out and, yes, we all know how crop circles are made . . . The twist in the tale is that the "croppies" (as believers in extraterrestrial activity causing said circles) consider human creators of the circles as the hoaxers . . . LOL
Certainly true though that great minds can believe in just about anything and you have only to consider the example of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, who we all know and love as the creator of the fictional super-detective Sherlock Holmes with his powers of logic and deduction, to realise the discrepancy between the written word ("Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth") and the reality that Sir ACD apparently believed wholeheartedly in the Cottingley fairies (hoax) photos !

Haven't watched "Tears of the Sun" yet so have no opinion either way though surely not as bad as "Striking Distance" ?

I reckon you'd do well to give Signs another crack, there are at least as many good things about it on a purely technical level as there are in The Village to raise it above 1 star status. The music and characters are great, it's funny, a bit scary in places, and emotional. It's different from Shyamalan's first two movies in that the subtext is a lot more important to the film than a 'twist' at the end - if you can even call the ending of Signs a twist - I'm not sure it really is. More of a sting in the tail.

• Helpful Post
Reactions: Flloydo and virkia
I reckon you'd do well to give Signs another crack, there are at least as many good things about it on a purely technical level as there are in The Village to raise it above 1 star status. The music and characters are great, it's funny, a bit scary in places, and emotional. It's different from Shyamalan's first two movies in that the subtext is a lot more important to the film than a 'twist' at the end - if you can even call the ending of Signs a twist - I'm not sure it really is. More of a sting in the tail.
Many thanks again for your valued views on this film - you must have a point and glancing at the box office for MNS films I notice this is second only to "The Sixth Sense" for worldwide lifetime cinema grosses of just over $408M (unadjusted for ticket price inflation. Adjusted, you could probably round it up to half a billion dollars).
Pretty impressive in anybody's book for a non-blockbuster film.
I must have missed something when I watched it back when I first bought it and thanks to your comments and to the impressive box office it's only fair that I give it another spin over the holidays :)

Cancelled my preorder for this just now incase Zavvi pull another 'ship 10 days early' trick!! :p

It hasn't sold out. And although I love this film, I'm going to wait to see in hand pics and hopefully a price drop before I commit.

Reactions: C.C. 95
Cancelled my preorder for this just now incase Zavvi pull another 'ship 10 days early' trick!! :p

It hasn't sold out. And although I love this film, I'm going to wait to see in hand pics and hopefully a price drop before I commit.

Same here mate, and I also want to see how bad the finish/embossing is before I decide on my price point.

I'm keeping my preorder since it's not too expensive and I love the movie. Not gonna wait and bet for 5/7€. I hope it ends up being not too bad
Personally I think €20 for a 14 year old catalogue title is too expensive! :p

€12 or €13, fair enough.

If I think it looks worth the €20 after I see pics, I might change my mind and reorder. I have a 20% off Zavvi discount code ready and waiting and all!!

Reactions: Raimi and C.C. 95
Wait 4 weeks after release and it will probably be 13 € :naughty:
Well, that's what I'm hoping.

Zavvis pricing is a joke and I refuse to give in to them.

I've (pre)ordered a lot of new titles at the same price as this (or even below it) recently from amazon etc....

Scorch Trials, Crimson Peak, The Man From Uncle (which was only €16) and I'm sure even these will drop in time.

But they were brand new releases so you could understand the higher price on release. All we're getting here is the same disc but rehoused in a new Steelbook case!!

Anyway, back to this steelbook itself, I hope it's glossy with some embossing or debossing. :D

Reactions: C.C. 95
Well, that's what I'm hoping.

Zavvis pricing is a joke and I refuse to give in to them.

I've (pre)ordered a lot of new titles at the same price as this (or even below it) recently from amazon etc....

Scorch Trials, Crimson Peak, The Man From Uncle (which was only €16) and I'm sure even these will drop in time.

But they were brand new releases so you could understand the higher price on release. All we're getting here is the same disc but rehoused in a new Steelbook case!!

Anyway, back to this steelbook itself, I hope it's glossy with some embossing or debossing. :D
To cancel and hope for a price drop depends on what the movie means to you. I really love the film so I'll take a €5 hit rather than miss it. I canceled a few other titles that I will use that tactic on. And probably they will stay in stock and have the price dropped. But, of course, there have been titles that went out of stock, and were really and truly gone...just depends on the title. If I am wrong on Saw, so be it. But I like Signs too much to miss it over the matter of €5.

Reactions: BluSteel2012