Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace (4K+2D Blu-ray SteelBook) (Zavvi Exclusive) [UK]

Feb 10, 2020
Release date: September 7, 2020
Purchase link: Zavvi (Pre-order on June 11 at 9 AM for Red Carpet, at 12 PM for general release - UK Time)
Price: £29.99

12607341-9144775116183020.jpg

12607341-9684775116370001.jpg 12607341-1474775116309800.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine arrived in 2 jiffy bags with the weird scratch on the top left hand side like many others.

Also realised my Goonies never arrived. Time to talk to Zavvi CS again I guess.

I don't know how I failed to notice the scuff marks, even after taking a photo :bag:. As others have pointed out, they're in the same area as the scratch marks on the ESB and they appear to be under the gloss.

Sadly there are also lots of feint scratch marks on the back and spine which aren't that noticeable until it's tilted in the light (n). Not sure if it's a common problem, but there is also some 'give' on the top end of the opening. Feeling very disappointed with this release now and will have to decide whether to contact CS and try for a replacement *sigh* :(.

IMG_4231.JPG IMG_4232.JPG IMG_4233.JPG IMG_4234.JPG

Well mine arrived on Friday after getting the dispatch on Wednesday night. Got a lovely spine slash as an extra!
Considering cancelling the rest of the collection and plumping for the new slipcover collection. At least they’re consistent and have much less flaws.

Attachments

• 476E8BA6-BBFF-4DF3-B912-66FFCA3F8A38.jpeg
    476E8BA6-BBFF-4DF3-B912-66FFCA3F8A38.jpeg
    51.4 KB · Views: 125
Both mine arrived today. Opened one and luckily it’s mint. Held it out to sunlight at all angles and can’t see any scuffs or scratches on or under the gloss on front or back.

Been very lucky with this run so far it seems. Only ESB has some very very faint lines in the back that can only be seen when looking specifically for them angled in to daylight.

Obviously getting the replacement for that one anyway.

I don't suppose there's enough widespread damage to this for a reprint. After 4 out of 4 so far I'm very close to telling Zavvi to shove the rest. On the one hand I feel ridiculous getting frustrated about this against the wider societal mess we are living through, but equally if you were to slap down £330 for a single item, you'd be expecting it to be perfect.

In some ways this is worse as it's basically inviting the SteelBook Gods to give you a kick in the crown jewels up to 11 times...

Reactions: Headhunter
I ordered 2 copied. One arrived last week, the other today. Both seem ok but i haven't opened the cellophane.

I get that collectors could be pissed but they're still easily the best covers (minus Empire which is sorted with a magnet) that we've had since VHS.
The scratches aren't noticeable until examination.

It was my guess that perhaps Zavvi were using Jiffy bags because of people complaining and returning copies due to dents and what not in the boxes so if that were to be the case, can't blame them for trying something new.

I ordered 2 copied. One arrived last week, the other today. Both seem ok but i haven't opened the cellophane.

I get that collectors could be pissed but they're still easily the best covers (minus Empire which is sorted with a magnet) that we've had since VHS.
The scratches aren't noticeable until examination.

It was my guess that perhaps Zavvi were using Jiffy bags because of people complaining and returning copies due to dents and what not in the boxes so if that were to be the case, can't blame them for trying something new.

You could say that if this were the case, they could still put them in the white boxes, and then into a Jiffy bag, at least that way it’s got double the protection. I would say it’s a certainty that they’ve run out of boxes.
Doesn’t excuse the spine slashes which have been going on for years. But the more concerning issue is the printing at Scanavo.

Mine still hasn't arrived, never had a Zavvi PO take this long (especially considering people were getting this Friday/5 days ago)

• Haha
Reactions: tha_lunatic
Mine still hasn't arrived, never had a Zavvi PO take this long (especially considering people were getting this Friday/5 days ago)

Neither has mine, dispatched late on the 2nd, (so im assuming basically the 3rd). Should have been here by yesterday so we'll see....Zavvi CS on speed dial with all these issues!!

Despite the quality control issues seen with this collection - and the scratches have not been confirmed as a manufacturing fault and could have occurred at the replicator/assembler - this is still a once in a generation collection and not to be missed if at all possible.

this is still a once in a generation collection and not to be missed if at all possible.
Yes it is... and Zavvi FACked it up big time.

Can't wait for Stygian (or maybe Paul) to tell me Zavvi don't produce them :coffee:

Zavvi asked me to return mine for a replacement from their surplus of stock

...I don't think it's worth the hassle, seeing as they all seem to have the same imperfection much like Empire.

Zavvi asked me to return mine for a replacement from their surplus of stock

...I don't think it's worth the hassle, seeing as they all seem to have the same imperfection much like Empire.

They don’t all have them but it does seem a lottery. Mine is absolutely spot on.