Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back (4K+2D Blu-ray SteelBook) (Zavvi Exclusive) [UK]

Noodles

Super Moderator
Premium Supporter
Feb 28, 2011
UK
Release date: August 3, 2020
Purchase link: Zavvi (Pre-order on May 21, around 9 AM for Red Carpet , at 12 PM general sale - UK time)
Price: £29.99
Note: 3 discs

12584863-1924769381743461.jpg

12584863-1244769382074100.jpg 12584863-1434769381918943.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Are these made in China or Denmark? Just curious, thanks
Yet to receive mine, but I've said it before. Any steel printed mainly in one colour, especially black is going to show up any minor defects. Poor design all round to begin with

Reactions: CleverLoginName
but I've said it before. Any steel printed mainly in one colour, especially black is going to show up any minor defects.

Agreed. but this is a different situation. We all have the same marks in the same places. Some worse than others. So this is a specific manufacturing fault. Not some random blemishes here and there

I don't think Zavvi packages the SteelBooks so the quality control failure is with the manufacturer or somebody before packaging. Some people are saying that the scratches weren't visible until the shrink-wrap was removed. If that's the case then Zavvi wasn't going to be able to see the scratches.
I can assure you that the scratches are visible with the steelbook sealed and if there are humans in the Zavvi warehouse on dispatch duty then quality control should have picked up on and reported the issue to their manager before posting as it seems that literally hundreds or more than hundreds - here and on other sites too - have been reported as being affected by these horizontal hairline tramline scratches.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Who'd have believe that the received wisdom of a gloss finish being more prone to scratches than all other finishes is false:-
1596501458064.png

Last edited:
I haven’t really gotten into the complaining on this steelbook but now having seen the pictures and vids of it I have to say it’s an awful dud.

It’s kinda hilarious that the scratch defect happened to occur on this one (and then I remember that I dropped $40 on it).

Reactions: Punker76
I don't think Zavvi packages the SteelBooks so the quality control failure is with the manufacturer or somebody before packaging. Some people are saying that the scratches weren't visible until the shrink-wrap was removed. If that's the case then Zavvi wasn't going to be able to see the scratches.
Agreed. I don't think we can blame Zavvi for this one - it's clearly a manufacturing fault.

I can assure you that the scratches are visible with the steelbook sealed and if there are humans in the Zavvi warehouse on dispatch duty then quality control should have picked up on and reported the issue to their manager before posting as it seems that literally hundreds or more than hundreds - here and on other sites too - have been reported as being affected by these horizontal hairline tramline scratches.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Who'd have believe that the received wisdom of a gloss finish being more prone to scratches than all other finishes is false:-
View attachment 480517
I disagree. I, along with many others, have said that we couldn't see any scratches until we removed the shrink-wrap. It was only seeing these posts before I received mine that made me look more closely before unwrapping it. And, at first, I thought it looked ok. It was only when I held it at a certain angle in the light that I was able to see the scratches under the shrink-wrap. I would not expect any warehouse workers to be doing that on every single steelbook they are packing. They will be under pressure to pack as many as possible during their shift, and they will be doing it almost on 'auto-pilot' and would probably only notice an obviously badly damaged steelbook rather than this type of defect. And I wouldn't blame them for that knowing what sort of conditions they are likely to be working under.

It is the QC checkers at the manufacturer that have failed to do their job properly in my opinion.

It's definite a manfacturing error as the scratch marks are under the gloss finish

Some might not even be aware of the damage as it's not as noticable until the shrink wrapping has been removed and steelbook tilted at an angle

I got delivery this morning
116735009_10222291684061561_5387539736319900664_o.jpg116820506_10222291680341468_7190250102748135719_n.jpg117263480_10222291680621475_599523615341300561_n.jpg

No point in asking for a replacement from existing stock as that very likely will have same issue
A replacement be only worth getting if disney get scanavo to manfacture a new batch of steelbooks

I have sent a message to Zavvi and await their reply
I expect at first their usual offer of a partial refund I will keep at zavvi until I get I get what I consider will be acceptable partial refund

I have on order 2 different empire strikes back magnets using Roger Kastel Concept poster artwork design
I will use these to cover the steelbook and use Zavvi parital refund to go towards the cost of the magnets

• Haha
Reactions: Stygian and djjez83
Hi all! Someone is doing me a custom steelbook with the theatrical poster. I need photos of the interior without the discs :) if anyone has one open feel to share

It's definite a manfacturing error as the scratch marks are under the gloss finish

Some might not even be aware of the damage as it's not as noticable until the shrink wrapping has been removed and steelbook tilted at an angle

I got delivery this morning
View attachment 480524View attachment 480525View attachment 480526

No point in asking for a replacement from existing stock as that very likely will have same issue
A replacement be only worth getting if disney get scanavo to manfacture a new batch of steelbooks

I have sent a message to Zavvi and await their reply
I expect at first their usual offer of a partial refund I will keep at zavvi until I get I get what I consider will be acceptable partial refund

I have on order 2 different empire strikes back magnets using Roger Kastel Concept poster artwork design
I will use these to cover the steelbook and use Zavvi parital refund to go towards the cost of the magnets

As you say, getting a replacement will be nigh on pointless - what kind of partial refund do you think will be likely?

I’ve tweeted customer services, will report back when they’ve replied.

Hi everyone. Very long term lurker here. I wondered what people’s opinions were as to a partial refund should Zavvi offer one? What would be a reasonable amount? I’d rather have one in perfect condition but who knows of a new print run will ever happen.

Hi everyone. Very long term lurker here. I wondered what people’s opinions were as to a partial refund should Zavvi offer one? What would be a reasonable amount? I’d rather have one in perfect condition but who knows of a new print run will ever happen.
I think their standard is 15%? YMMV

Zavvi CS on Twitter say they are aware of the issue and are investigating. I’m strangely hopeful they may actually do something about this, maybe a reprint. Would be great if everyone who has the issue to raise a complaint so that they actually do follow through.

Reactions: Punker76