Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back (4K+2D Blu-ray SteelBook) (Zavvi Exclusive) [UK]

Noodles

Super Moderator
Premium Supporter
Feb 28, 2011
UK
Release date: August 3, 2020
Purchase link: Zavvi (Pre-order on May 21, around 9 AM for Red Carpet , at 12 PM general sale - UK time)
Price: £29.99
Note: 3 discs

12584863-1924769381743461.jpg

12584863-1244769382074100.jpg 12584863-1434769381918943.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I contacted their customer support yesterday but I haven't heard anything back yet.

EDIT: Now in a queue for live chat.
EDIT 2: Just got the usual "we are aware and have raised the issue" response and apparently they'll be contacting people either later this week or early next to update them.

Last edited:
These are take with the wrap still on...will be getting in contact myself l, they need to do more then just the 15% refund....a refund that covers the cost of a magnet should about do it.

Attachments

• 15965367701944606285029415027172.jpg
    15965367701944606285029415027172.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 181
  • 1596536865685646155542436415685.jpg
    1596536865685646155542436415685.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 171
Reactions: Punker76
I’m insulted by their reply. They need to recall/reprint this steel. The condition is unacceptabl.

Attachments

• C6E2513E-B91D-401B-A872-674C7499A63B.jpeg
    C6E2513E-B91D-401B-A872-674C7499A63B.jpeg
    302.6 KB · Views: 250
I disagree. I, along with many others, have said that we couldn't see any scratches until we removed the shrink-wrap. It was only seeing these posts before I received mine that made me look more closely before unwrapping it. And, at first, I thought it looked ok. It was only when I held it at a certain angle in the light that I was able to see the scratches under the shrink-wrap. I would not expect any warehouse workers to be doing that on every single steelbook they are packing. They will be under pressure to pack as many as possible during their shift, and they will be doing it almost on 'auto-pilot' and would probably only notice an obviously badly damaged steelbook rather than this type of defect. And I wouldn't blame them for that knowing what sort of conditions they are likely to be working under.

It is the QC checkers at the manufacturer that have failed to do their job properly in my opinion.
I disagree. I saw the multiple horizontal scratches through the shrinkwrap - all it takes is to tilt the item slightly to see them . . . a little manipulation of the shrinkwrap reveals that the scratches are indeed underneath the wrap thus confirming my worst fears.
As I mentioned earlier the relatively insignificant manufacturing defect of a single hairline on the black JACK REACHER steelbook was enough to warrant a re-print and this is a far worse example of damage.

I agree that Scanavo should not have sent out these steelbooks in this condition but alas my contract is with Zavvi and with Zavvi alone and if the only option is a 15% discount I guess it's better than being spat at although I've messaged them to kindly let me know if there's to be a reprint and replacement programme.

Try Twitter - it’s a public forum and forces them to respond property. A partial refund is of course the cheapest way out for them. What they should be doing is replacing these with non damaged products that we paid for. They‘ll have to recoup the cost of that from Scanavo but I’m sure they are insured. Besides, we all know the profit margins they are operating under.

Some lovely scratches across mine...
Mine's got the exact same scratches... was gonna request a replacement, but guess there's no point if it's a widespread issue.
Got one of my two today, and yes, the exact same marks as everybody else, it's clear as mud that every one of these has the same issue...:mad: The marks aren't that easy to see, unless in some kind of direct light, but a double disappointment in many respects. I think we're just going to have to live with it, or return for refund. I doubt replacements will be any different...(n)

Mine too. Same as my Ep IV disc (though that also looked like it had been slid across a gritty floor on top of the processing marks). These are clearly part of the manufacturing processes and not packaging gremlins.

Very disappointing if we are going to be beset by these issues across the entire collection. Not good enough, Zavvi should be kicking up a massive fuss with their suppliers. I can see every single bloody release having to be returned..

Reactions: Noodles
I've gone the CS twitter route this time, stating I need a replacement but asking them whether they can guarantee I won't suffer the same problem again. I also pointed out that there were multiple defective units - that was before I came back and found 6 more pages of problems.

The manufacturer should reprint the entire run at cost and send us all replacements, the 11 film Star Wars series is probably going to be a main part of many collections, imagine 11 of these wrecked editions instead :(

Not really understanding the logic of people defending Zavvi's QC as they don't manufacture the steels... I buy from Zavvi, not Scanavo (or whoever prints the steels) and therefore my beef is with them
That is true, BUT - if you bought say, an Adidas tee-shirt from, say JD Sports, and when you got it home found that all the stitching was falling apart, of course you would complain to JD Sports for selling you a faulty product. But would you then also BLAME JD Sports for Adidas' shoddy production and QC process? Would you really expect them to be checking every single item for defects that are not readily apparent?

I disagree. I saw the multiple horizontal scratches through the shrinkwrap - all it takes is to tilt the item slightly to see them . . . a little manipulation of the shrinkwrap reveals that the scratches are indeed underneath the wrap thus confirming my worst fears.
As I mentioned earlier the relatively insignificant manufacturing defect of a single hairline on the black JACK REACHER steelbook was enough to warrant a re-print and this is a far worse example of damage.

I agree that Scanavo should not have sent out these steelbooks in this condition but alas my contract is with Zavvi and with Zavvi alone and if the only option is a 15% discount I guess it's better than being spat at although I've messaged them to kindly let me know if there's to be a reprint and replacement programme.
That may be true in your case, and maybe the scratches are worse in some cases than others (and/or maybe you have much better eyesight than most of us - I am getting a bit old now! lol :) ), but for most of us (myself included), it was very hard to see the scratches under the shrink-wrap without holding it at a particular angle in a particular light (which I don't make a habit of doing with most of my steelbooks tbh! :LOL:).

And, as in my response to @burtbird above, I agree that our contract is with Zavvi not Scanavo. I've had many a dispute with companies when they start blaming their supplier for issues saying I don't care about that - that is for them to sort out with their supplier, not me.

But to BLAME Zavvi for it I think is a bit harsh, that's all.

And I'm certainly not defending their CS either, as I have had very mixed experiences with that in the past! But the fact that they now appear to be responding with the message that "they'll be contacting people either later this week or early next to update them." suggests to me that they are taking this seriously and taking it up with the manufacturer for what I would hope will be a blanket reprint and replacement programme for all. I just hope I'm not proved wrong!

Reactions: Stygian
I looked at my copy. It's not a scratch more a very light streak that seems to have happened as part of the gloss process. It's there on one side but I had to really shine a light on it to see it.

Scanavo told me that steelbooks change hands quite a few times before they get to the retailer, So you would think it would get picked up somewhere along the line.