Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back (4K+2D Blu-ray SteelBook) (Zavvi Exclusive) [UK]

Noodles

Super Moderator
Premium Supporter
Feb 28, 2011
UK
Release date: August 3, 2020
Purchase link: Zavvi (Pre-order on May 21, around 9 AM for Red Carpet , at 12 PM general sale - UK time)
Price: £29.99
Note: 3 discs

12584863-1924769381743461.jpg

12584863-1244769382074100.jpg 12584863-1434769381918943.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I'm gonna pre-order on the off chance that they alter the artwork down the line (which is unlikely I know). If they don't, I'll gladly cancel my pre-orders for both and go for the new blu ray set which is the price of two of the steels and has all 9 movies. They're bound to do more steelbooks when the original cuts get released anyway. I understand why they're getting massive backlash over this as It's such an easily avoidable mistake and people are tired of it. They expect you to pay premium for a double dip that a 10 year old would have been able to select better art for. Not doing it this time, nobody else should either. Vote with your wallets and hopefully they will take notice.
You won't see Disney offically do original cuts unaltered that's not going to happen

You won't see Disney offically do original cuts unaltered that's not going to happen
I haven't kept up completely with the status of the originals. Last I heard Disney now had the rights to them with the Fox acquisition. I know Disney never seem to do directors/extended cuts but assumed they would make an exception in this case because of the huge sales potential. Why do you think they'll never get released?

I haven't kept up completely with the status of the originals. Last I heard Disney now had the rights to them with the Fox acquisition. I know Disney never seem to do directors/extended cuts but assumed they would make an exception in this case because of the huge sales potential. Why do you think they'll never get released?
Fox only had the rights to Star Wars 1977 the First Fim
George Lucas Lucasfilm owned the rights to to 1/2/3 5/6

The sales of lucasfilms to Disney was separate to Disney purchase of Fox and includes restrictions placed by George Lucas as part of that sale

You not going to see the unaltered cuts be released offically

Fox only had the rights to Star Wars 1977 the First Fim
George Lucas Lucasfilm owned the rights to to 1/2/3 5/6

The sales of lucasfilms to Disney was separate to Disney purchase of Fox and includes restrictions placed by Gerore Lucas as part of that sale

You not going to see the unaltered cuts be released offically
Ahhh I see. I always thought Fox owned all three cuts. Yeah it's never going to happen then. There's no way George resisted putting in some sort of stipulation preventing their release. Despecalized editions burned to a blu ray disc it is then.

Would it be possible for people to just chill out about this steelbook? If you like it, buy it. If you don't like it, either buy it or don't buy it. This steelbook is not proof that the world or anyone in it hates you.
It's not just about this release though, they've ruined a whole set. At the moment the choice is have a hole in your collection or display a turd sandwich, not world ending but people have a right to be disappointed.

Reactions: Robsonmonkey
It's not just about this release though, they've ruined a whole set. At the moment the choice is have a hole in your collection or display a turd sandwich, not world ending but people have a right to be disappointed.
Message received: people are disappointed. It's not ruining a whole set when it continues the theme of featuring a vintage poster on the front and a character photo on the back, with a perfectly matching spine. It's just not the poster you would've chosen. Oh well. :)

• Haha
Reactions: Leafs17
Message received: people are disappointed. It's not ruining a whole set when it continues the theme of featuring a vintage poster on the front and a character photo on the back, with a perfectly matching spine. It's just not the poster you would've chosen. Oh well. :)

It breaks continuity by using a teaser poster and NOT the theatrical poster, how does that not ruin the set? There is no good reason for doing so. It also happens that the Vader head floating in space is a such a dull, ill-conceived piece of art that does not represent the themes or plot points of film while the original ESB poster is easily one of the most iconic movie posters of all time.

If you're not disappointed that's fine, (I guess it says more about your personal taste when you're in such a minority on this?) but don't sit on a "discussion forum" and complain about people discussing their disappointment and trying to understand why such a non-sensible decision has been made.

I wouldn’t have thought anyone would have chosen the floating head poster for the ESB Steelbook.

Collectors are Quite rightly disappointed with the artwork choice and are just expressing their feelings in the hope that someone with some authority and common sense will become the hero and make the necessary change to the artwork that we would love to see in the collection:thumbs:

Yep,ithink I'll pass and cancel my order of the first one.
Funny thing is that I don't hate the Disco Vader head as much as most people here,it's just sad that it breaks the uniformity of the collection.