Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back (4K+2D Blu-ray SteelBook) (Zavvi Exclusive) [UK]

Noodles

Super Moderator
Premium Supporter
Feb 28, 2011
UK
Release date: August 3, 2020
Purchase link: Zavvi (Pre-order on May 21, around 9 AM for Red Carpet , at 12 PM general sale - UK time)
Price: £29.99
Note: 3 discs

12584863-1924769381743461.jpg

12584863-1244769382074100.jpg 12584863-1434769381918943.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I assume collecting is a hobby... supposedly something you do because it gives you a sense of reward? something you can admire. Collecting things you dislike makes no sense. its counter productive and will eventually destroy your hobby when you realise you don't even like your collection.

The only way around this is, you know, be selective. the Star Wars: episode v- the empire strikes back (4k+2d bluray zavvi exclusive steelbook) will always be considered low value and undesirable by collectors, so why collect it?

avoid and send a message that steelbook collectors demand better

This comment right here. Exactly what happened to me. A few years ago I was probably buying 95% of the steelbooks released in the UK and even picking up others whilst on holiday in the States.

More often I found myself questioning why I spent so much money on something that I disliked so I gradually reduced my pre-orders to only ones I really liked to the point that I've only ordered one steelbook this year. Heck I'm so fussy now that I even turned down ANH because as awesome as the front is, I didn't like the fact that the back is a photo, and the front is illustrated and I prefer them to match.

Admittedly initially the hard part of quitting my steelbook addiction was seeing something I might have considered sell out (I quite liked Knives Out which I also passed on). Once I accepted the fact that I wouldn't have a steelbook or it I wouldn't have a complete collection, I kind of just got over after a short while. Now I don't care if I miss out.

I'm not judging anyone by the way, as I know what it's like. We are all free to make our own choices and spend our hard earned cash anyway we like. Just to be clear though, I'm certainly not buying Darth Floatious.

The reviewer who said he loves the backlash against Zavvi, that the ‘other’ poster would of been better, but still proceeded to give it a maximum five out of five stars stands out as being a particular idiot...

Only one member here springs to mind with who could write that.

And it’s not me

Reactions: Andycadle84
Just ordered this handsome steelbook which should be very pleasing if it comes with a decent finish .

Big pity it's the odd one out compared to the multiple characters on the other two but it should not be forgotten that the iconic "Gone with the Wind" poster was quickly withdrawn from advertising the film for the reason previously mentioned and would not be a popular choice for many today on the front of the steelbook.

Best art for a matching steelbook set that I've seen for at least the first six are the re-release posters:-
1590067647137.png
1590067688399.png
1590067727099.png
1590067765069.png
1590067808716.png
1590067903590.png
1590068245095.png

Reactions: DMD4k
But ironically, the vast majority of the negative reviews are from 'VERIFIED PURCHASE', So I find that quite funny. I'm also a bit disappointed with the artwork, would of preferred a matching trilogy, but Disney ain't going to be changing anything, so everyone, get used to it. And if Zavvi say a summer release, i'd expect these are already made or in production.

Can't wait to order Jedi and then be done with this range. Not touching the prequels if they do them..
In fairness most of those reviewers are saying they've ordered but will cancel their orders if the artwork is not changed before release date......

Reactions: hoppusdelonge
Nah wreck it’s ralph was changed when it was supposedly put into production. We still have hope depending on a release date. And the fact they haven’t got a release date which is rare for a zavvi exclusive non WWA then there’s still a chance.

.....But we will most likely be disappointed

Reactions: jailbird_joey
This comment right here. Exactly what happened to me. A few years ago I was probably buying 95% of the steelbooks released in the UK and even picking up others whilst on holiday in the States.

More often I found myself questioning why I spent so much money on something that I disliked so I gradually reduced my pre-orders to only ones I really liked to the point that I've only ordered one steelbook this year. Heck I'm so fussy now that I even turned down ANH because as awesome as the front is, I didn't like the fact that the back is a photo, and the front is illustrated and I prefer them to match.

Admittedly initially the hard part of quitting my steelbook addiction was seeing something I might have considered sell out (I quite liked Knives Out which I also passed on). Once I accepted the fact that I wouldn't have a steelbook or it I wouldn't have a complete collection, I kind of just got over after a short while. Now I don't care if I miss out.

I'm not judging anyone by the way, as I know what it's like. We are all free to make our own choices and spend our hard earned cash anyway we like. Just to be clear though, I'm certainly not buying Darth Floatious.
Well said, it is the same for me especially with first editions now because you buy the first one then they release a better one not to far down the line, I found myself throwing good money after bad, I just got fed up with it and hardly buy any now, in the beginning of collecting a limited edition exactly that but now if something sells out they just fetch a better edition out, its become a waste of money.

Reactions: IamIroningMan
Ordered it hoping it's all one big joke and they change the artwork, there's no *Artwork subject to change like they normally put on Pre-orders so might never happen but it's that bad it has to be Zavvi having a bit of fun.

It's funny how things change and we put things into perspective.

Like when I got into Steelbooks, I bought things right, left and centre, thinking these films would never get another Steelbook (I know hilarious right) or if they did it would be a long time before another release (still funny...I know) but now I'm just super picky. It's kind of the silver lining to all this because looking back on A New Hope two things bother me 1) The logo is the generic bland new Disney Star Wars logo, not the original unique font they used and 2) The back is, like you said, just a picture. I would have preferred the teaser posters on the back or it blending more with the front image. I wasn't bothered as much as I thought this is the closest we're going to get and all of them will match...but obviously, not now.

I look back on the dozens of steelbooks I bought and think "what the f*** were you thinking"

So...It seems Zavvi are being obliviously ignorant to all of the complaints on social media.

Rather than address a single complaint (& boy, there are a LOT of them), they’d much rather Tweet out that it’s the ‘last chance’ to pick up the steelbook, as limited stock remains.

Proof, if ever it were needed, that money counts more than customer satisfaction.

Hoping there are mass cancellations on this, but can’t see it happening.

Abysmal giving customers the silent treatment...

So...It seems Zavvi are being obliviously ignorant to all of the complaints on social media.

Rather than address a single complaint (& boy, there are a LOT of them), they’d much rather Tweet out that it’s the ‘last chance’ to pick up the steelbook, as limited stock remains.

Proof, if ever it were needed, that money counts more than customer satisfaction.

Hoping there are mass cancellations on this, but can’t see it happening.

Abysmal giving customers the silent treatment...
I'd love to see how limited the stock actually was. I bet that's just a scheduled post for X amount of hours after release.

Is it proof? Customers have purchased ESB today, they are satisfied (at least enough to buy it), so what customer satisfaction are you referring to? Customer satisfaction of "customers" that didn't buy a copy?