PS3 System Software Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 29, 2009
Please use this thread for all console updates from now on.

Attachments

• sonyps3.jpg
    sonyps3.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 2,123
Last edited by a moderator:
Apparently in the last update a little PSN+ secret was slipped in. I've been autoupdating since I got PSN+ and i've NEVER noticed this screen when I turned the PS3 back on. Then today it was there. It's a nice little feature in my opinion.

PSNPlusAutoDL.jpg

Sony Implements All-New PlayStation Network News Notification System

While relaxing early this morning, I found myself cruising around the XMB when I received a message regarding the Earthworm Jim HD full-game unlock from a user with the PSN id: [PSN]. Turns out this wasn’t an actual user, but apparently a new method Sony has implemented to communicate with the PlayStation Network at large. Do we have a hidden, new firmware addition on our hands? It appears so.

Yes, it looks like this notification did indeed come from the head honchos on the PlayStation Network, as a way to now communicate with the community directly, instead of relying on hear-say, websites and the PlayStation Blog. The message read as follows:

The issue related to the full game unlock for Earthworm Jim HD demo has been fixed. You can now purchase the full game from the demo.

0806100202-685x513.jpg

Not only did I find this message, but an attachment. Normally, it is only possible to attach images in messages on the PSN, but this message contained an attachment that actually took me straight to the Earthworm Jim HD section in the PlayStation Store, pretty cool eh? We’ve gone ahead and included pics below for your viewing enjoyment.

You can see that the ability to add [PSN] as a friend or check it’s profile makes this legit. Also, I am not a PlayStation Plus member, which makes this even more interesting. Apparently, not everyone has received this message, so you may have to have downloaded the Earthworm Jim HD demo in order to receive said message. Additionally, users are also reporting that similar messages have been tied to titles in the ‘Sam and Max’ series, which leads us to believe that, yep, PSN in-box advertisements, which some may consider spam, have arrived. For better or for worse? You decide.

[UPDATE] There have been reports that these messages are commonplace on the Hong Kong PSN. We’ll be fact-checking to substantiate these claims, as this does seem to be the case.

playstationlifestyle.net/2010/08/06/all-new-playstation-network-notification-system-implemented/

Last edited by a moderator:
The Asia/Japan do it all the time, the attachment sends you to the product they are talking about in the PSN store. It is actually really cool, surprised so many people don't know about this.

Sony releases PS3 software update v3.42

Sony has released PlayStation 3 software update 3.42 that is said to include additional security features. According to Exophase, the recent update kills USB-hub emulating exploits like PSGroove and PSJailbreak.

Over on the US PlayStation Blog, John Koller, director of hardware marketing, makes no mention of the USB emulation. This is a mandatory, yet minor update.

PS3 System Software Update v3.50 Available Soon

Hi everyone, as we announced previously, the PS3 system software update (v3.50) is adding support for Blu-ray 3D Disc Playback, and it will be released shortly.

Additional new features in the 3.50 update include:

• Facebook Integration: Developers will be able to create PS3 games that have more interaction with Facebook. Once compatible PS3 titles are available, PS3 users can choose to access public information on Facebook – including user name, profile, uploaded photos and friends list – to enhance their gameplay experience.
  • Grief Reporting Function: Users can send claim reports directly from the XMB for any inappropriate messages they receive from other PlayStation Network users. This feature is accessible from the option menu of the messages list in the FRIENDS category.

For more details and instructions on how to update the system software for the PS3 system, please visit http://www.us.playstation.com/PS3/Features/SystemUpdate.

EDIT: Update is Live!

Last edited:
Next PS3 update rumored to add 'Online Saving' for PlayStation Plus users

3mar10ps3j9h6g5.jpg

Via: Engadget

Finally a PS3 firmware update that actually does something useful! We've grown so accustomed to Sony refreshing the software on its console just to spite jailbreakers that we almost started to believe that's all the word "update" entailed.

But, here comes Kotaku with word that v3.6 of the PS3's firmware will come with a neat little addition: saving games to the cloud. This seems a very logical step toward delivering Sony's overall goal of giving users a holistic, integrated experience. Indeed, during the NGP presentation, guest speaker Hideo Kojima specifically referred to saving your PS3 game on the console and resuming it on the Next Generation Portable.

"Online Saving," as Sony's reputed to be calling it, would be the conduit through which that can be realized, though it doesn't appear like it'll come for free. Kotaku's sources indicate it'll be part of the PlayStation Plus subscription, at least initially. Still, we like cloud storage, and if it means never having to see another hard drive again, we're all for it.

This is the first good reason for playstation plus imo. You prolly lose all the saves if you stop paying the subscription

No. You will lose access to the game but you will NEVER lose access to the save unless you delete it or it some how corrupts.

If you stop getting plus and then get it again all the games you downloaded are available for play again... But you can't download anything you missed in the time you weren't a user.

Online Storage for Game Saves Coming to PlayStation Plus
Posted by Susan Panico // Sr. Director, PlayStation Network​

Hey everyone – We’ve got an exciting new feature coming exclusively to PlayStation Plus subscribers. Included in the system software update (v3.60) coming tomorrow to PS3, PlayStation Network’s new online storage for game saves feature gives PlayStation Plus subscribers the capability to back up game save data to the cloud. Online storage for game saves is a great way for PlayStation Plus subscribers to ensure that their data files are secure and also for users who wish to access their files from other PS3 systems.

4747282038_58bc8b4d1b_o.jpg

The new online storage feature allows gamers to store up to 150MB of game save data and a maximum of 1000 data files per PSN account. Users also have the ability to back-up “copy-prohibited save data,” and all previously saved data may be restored once per 24 hour period. When the new feature launches, most PS3 titles will be compatible with online storage for game saves, and moving forward, all new titles will have the capability to offer the storage option.

As I mentioned before, online storage for game saves functionality is included automatically for PlayStation Plus subscribers with system software update (v3.60), which will be available on March 10, 2011, and users can access their stored data on the XMB at any time. Additionally, users who save their files to the cloud can access their data on any PS3, using their PSN sign-in ID.

PlayStation Plus subscribers should turn on the auto-download feature to ensure that the update will begin downloading as soon as it’s available, so you can start backing up your game saves right away. If you aren’t already a PlayStation Plus subscriber, be sure to check out our bi-weekly post highlighting the free games, discounts and exciting exclusives we offer, in addition to the upcoming online storage for game saves feature.

If the developer has chosen to implement copy protection on their game saves, you can still copy those files to Online Storage but there will be a 24 hour period, after each save, before you can then download them on any PS3.

If your PlayStation Plus subscription expires then you will no longer be able to access Online Storage until you renew your subscription. However, any game saves stored will be kept for six months and you will be able to access them as before when you renew the subscription, as long as you do so within that six month period.

Other minor features will also be added via system software update (v3.60). For more information please visit http://us.playstation.com/support/systemupdates/ps3/ once the update is live.

Wow unless I am doing something wrong this Cloud feature sucks. 150MB is nothing we live in a world of GB haha. I could only back up one game and that took up all 150MB. Hopefully that changes.

Yeah it is. but some of the saves (Killzone, Bioshock, Black ops) are like 2000kb so thats all you can put on cloud

3.61 Out Now!

Downloading and installing the PlayStation®3 system software update will update your PS3™ system's operating system to include the latest security patches, settings, features and other items. We encourage you to check this page from time to time for system software updates and to always maintain your system to use the latest version of the system software.

An update to the PS3™ system software was released on May 14, 2011. You can use this update to upgrade your system software to version 3.61.

NA - http://djp01.ps3.update.playstation...f446810aabec0af1340c02d852e4118c/PS3UPDAT.PUP

EU - http://duk01.ps3.update.playstation...f446810aabec0af1340c02d852e4118c/PS3UPDAT.PUP

New for 3.61:

+As a security measure, this system software update will require you to change your account password before you can again access PlayStation®Network *. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete this process. (applies to Master and all sub-accounts).

+[Online Storage] has been added as a feature under (Game) > (Saved Data Utility (PS3™)).

You can now store saved data for a game (PlayStation®3 format software) on a PlayStation®Network server, and then download it to another PlayStation®3 system to continue playing your game. To use this feature you must have a PlayStation®Network account and a subscription to PlayStation®Plus.

+ Under (Power Save Settings) > (Controller Auto-Off), you can now set the PS3™ system so that paired wireless controllers will turn off after 10, 20 or 30 minutes of idle time.

PS3 System Software Update (v3.66)

A new PS3 system software update, v3.66, will be released soon. With this minor update, system stability during use of PS3 format software and network services has been improved.

Status
Not open for further replies.