The Fog (Blu-ray SteelBook) (Scream Factory) [USA]

BluSteel2012

Premium Supporter
Jan 4, 2012
Ireland
Release date: August 1, 2017
Purchase links: Shout Factory - Amazon - Best Buy
Price: $26.99 (Shout) - $16.88 (Amazon) - $19.99 (Best Buy)

product_images_modal_Fog.SB.BeautyShot.72dpi__7B459bdd76-c777-4607-864e-2d32c2de3eed_7D.png

Last edited by a moderator:
The Fog and Fargo for me now these are on Amazon! Love the art on those 2 (and will probably get the other 2 eventually as well :rofl:)

Is 10.000 units really a limited release these days?

Not that it matters but do we know if perchance these steelbooks are individually numbered?

I'd say that the words "Limited edition " are two of the most useful words used in marketing any product today designed to get us to dip into our pockets . . . used on just about everything including foodstuffs and drink but that's more limited edition packaging to celebrate particular historic events than anything else.

Anyway, in truth, everything is limited albeit to different degrees and it's a given that every Blu-ray release will not be pressed and re-pressed ad infinitum and taking a simple example from personal experience - when I was looking to buy some of the earliest U.K. regular Amaray Blu-ray releases that I'd not bought at the time I found that quite a few were OOP/OOS by then a few years later and I was obliged to buy them on the secondary market.
That's regular releases not limited editions or anything like that.
Apart from the non-limited edition OOP status of the Amarays there is the OOP status of the limited edition slipcovers that in the majority of cases are only provided with the first pressing.

SCREAM FACTORY: The words "limited edition" can be a double-edged sword as in the famous/ infamous Scream Factory release of Clive Barker's NIGHTBREED - the highly-priced / highly-prized 3-disk ltd. ed. keep-case set containing features not included in the regular release such as the first time on Blu-ray original 1990 Theatrical Cut.
This set was listed as a 5,000 print run and sold out within a few days so what did SF . . .
"We want to give as many fans of Clive Barker’s exceptional film the opportunity to purchase the set and so we went back to Warner Bros (since they have the rights to theatrical cut) and explained the situation. They graciously understood and so we can now officially tell you that we have expanded the number of units for the LIMITED EDITION SET to 10,000 total–which will all be numbered."
Still "limited edition" (LOL) but now limited to 10,000 instead of 5,000 . . . not sure how happy I'd have been had I paid $80 originally had the latter 5,000 been priced differently to the former 5,000 . . .
Same thing happens with other boutique labels such as Twilight Time who've re-licenced and re-issued a number of their previously OOP titles. Good or bad ? take your pick . . . but I'm guessing bad for some, good for most.

Steelbooks, which obviously have much lower print runs than Amarays - at least here in the U.K. . . . of between 2,000 - 4,000 as a general rule with certain examples allegedly having print runs of 1,000 and some as low as 500 with the only non metal packaging challengers generating a similar level of consumer interest being some of those limited edition boxsets from Arrow (here in the U.K.).
10,000 steelbook runs would be a definite rarity here in the U.K. - but maybe not unusual in The States (?).
Similarly large print runs have been done here in the U.K. as in for example with the be-loved classic animated JUNGLE BOOK (and THE LITTLE MERMAID) but the time they took to go OOP was considerable and they needed the assistance of the bargain bin to administer the coup de grace.

Just a final few words from me on the limited edition aspect of certain steelbooks - in this case premium releases - and again JUST MY PERSONAL OPINION so no-one need jump down my throat.
These are as strange as they come (IMO) with as far as I can make out the exact same steelbook made available with the only thing separating them being the different packaging in which they come. It seems that the "one click' can contain the exact same steelbook x3 with the only difference being the 3 different slipcover packaging options (WTF) leading me to believe that one's paying a King's ransom for a collection of card ephemera and not for a collection of steelbooks.
The only way premium edition make any sense to me is in what EverythingBlu, for example, has done with the 3 MUMMY steelbooks . . . packaging the 3 different steelbooks as a very handsome slipbox trilogy set (would be nice if they did something similar with the "Cornetto trilogy" at some point).
In other words not the same steelbook repeated and repeated and repeated.

Last edited:
  • Thanks
  • Helpful Post
Reactions: Hereticz and DVDguy
I think preordering and paying full price for something with a 10,000 print might be a bit foolhardy IMO.

These will surely see a price drop at some stage. It's not like they're new releases either, it's only new packaging.......

I'm waiting it out on these. The Fog would be the only one I might be interested in anyway.....

• Thanks
Reactions: DVDguy
I think preordering and paying full price for something with a 10,000 print might be a bit foolhardy IMO.

These will surely see a price drop at some stage. It's not like they're new releases either, it's only new packaging.......

I'm waiting it out on these. The Fog would be the only one I might be interested in anyway.....
The Amazon price drop would be reflected in your order even if you order prior to any price drop. Not sure if you knew, so just fyi:)

• Thanks
Reactions: BluSteel2012
THE FOG - apparently part of John Carpenter's Apocalyptic trilogy along with THE THING and PRINCE OF DARKNESS . . .

THE TRANSFER - New one done in 2013 by SF for their keep-case edition (same as this one):-
From Scream Factory's FB page (2013):
Quote:
Tonight we start the new HD transfer of THE FOG, supervised by the great cinematographer, Dean Cundey!

THE DISC - Product Information
upload_2017-5-6_1-54-54.png

THE BONUS FEATURES
  • 1080p High-Definition Transfer Supervised By Cinematographer Dean Cundey
  • Audio Commentary With Writer/Director John Carpenter And Writer/Producer Debra Hill
  • Audio Commentary With Actors Adrienne Barbeau, Tom Atkins And Production Designer Tommy Lee Wallace
  • Interview With Jamie Lee Curtis
  • "Tales From The Mist: Inside The Fog" Featurette
  • "Fear On Film: Inside The Fog" Featurette
  • "The Fog: Storyboard To Film" Featurette
  • Horror's Hallowed Grounds – A Look At The Film's Locations
  • Outtakes
  • Theatrical Trailers
  • TV Spots
  • Photo Gallery
About as much to compare between the atmospheric weather conditions of fog and mist as there is to compare between the films THE FOG and THE MIST - there's the obvious, thehidden shrouded unwelcome unknowns in both (zombies in one, aliens or parallel universe beings in t'other) and that's about it.
Main difference for me between the films is the style of horror with JC turning right down the gross knob to a 3 or a 4 to create more a thrilling good old-fashioned ghost story than a horror (and we know he's no slouch when it comes to gross as in THE THING).
Main difference between the two is that THE MIST is much more graphic than THE FOG with loads more special effects CGI but that could of course be down to (a )the difference between the budgets - THE MIST $18M, THE FOG $1 - and (b) the different technologies of the times - THE FOG was after all way back in 1980 with THE MIST only ten years ago in2007.
Which do I prefer ? THE FOG . . . but both are top-drawer films (IMO)

IMO one of JC's best from his golden period although my opinion of the man himself is not what it was after hearing derogatory comments he made recently about one of my favourite horror films from the 1940's (Val Lewton's CAT PEOPLE).

So we've had THE FOG and THE MIST . . . what's next ? THE SMOKE ? (Oh, wait we've already had that . . . although not a ghost story). Maybe THE HAZE ?, THE SMOG ? (GODZILLA AND THE SMOG MONSTER), THE GLOOM ?, THE MURK ?, THE NOTHING (THE NEVERENDING STORY) etc., etc.

Which of the two would I choose to sit down to watch?
53040968.jpg

For a nostalgia trip for those of us of a certain age a GotG "mix tape volume one" of the music from the film:-

Finally, in consideration of the John Houseman spooky narration at the start of the film it would've been cool to have released this last month on the 21st April or waited until next April:-
Quote:
"In five minutes, it will be the 21st of April. One hundred years ago on the 21st of April, out in the waters around Spivey Point, a small clipper ship drew toward land. Suddenly, out of the night, the fog rolled in. For a moment, they could see nothing, not a foot in front of them. Then, they saw a light. By God, it was a fire burning on the shore, strong enough to penetrate the swirling mist. They steered a course toward the light. But it was a campfire, like this one. The ship crashed against the rocks, the hull sheared in two, mars snapped like a twig. The wreckage sank, with all the men aboard. At the bottom of the sea, lay the Elizabeth Dane, with her crew, their lungs filled with salt water, their eyes open, staring to the darkness. And above, as suddenly as it come, the fog lifted, receded back across the ocean and never came again. But it is told by the fishermen, and their fathers and grandfathers, that when the fog returns to Antonio Bay, the men at the bottom of the sea, out in the water by Spivey Point will rise up and search for the campfire that led them to their dark, icy death."