The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (Ext. Ed.) (3D Blu-ray SteelBook)(Best Buy) [USA]

mmcvey

Ginger Ninja
Premium Supporter
Feb 1, 2012
West Des Moines, Iowa
Release date: November 5, 2013
Price: $29.99
Purchase link: Best Buy.com

Don't know if someone else has caught this already, but if the artwork on the page is any indication it looks like Best Buy is getting this in the U.S. as well.

794043171826;canvasHeight=360;canvasWidth=640

Attachments

• hobbit.jpg
    hobbit.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 258
Last edited by a moderator:
I think this is a great steelbook to have for us here in the USA. I just wish that the steelbooks were taken better care of during the manufacturing process, as all of the copies I saw had paint chips, some worse than others. But a lot of the matte/no finish steelbooks here have that same problem.

Last edited:
From br.com

SilentNight said:
as an FYI...I popped my 3D disc 1 in my PS3 and turned off the 3D setting on my Epson 5020-UB projector. It played the movie in 2D perfectly and looked absolutely stunning. To my eyes this looked every bit as good as the best 2D Blu-Rays on the market so anyone with a 3D TV and player that have the capabilities of turning the 3D setting on and off I can confirm this will play in 2D. At least on a projector.:scat:

I think this is a great steelbook to have for us here in the USA. I just wish that the steelbooks were taken better care of during the manufacturing process, as all of the copies I saw had paint chips, some worse than others. But a lot of the matte/no finish steelbooks here have that same problem.

9 of the 10 steelbooks at the Best Buy I went to had paint chips along the edges.

Reactions: Ataneruo
Very strange why the US is 3D playback only, surely they've missed a trick not including the 2D too

Yeah, the cheapo finish on this one is pretty pathetic considering the caliber of the release. Even if you manage to avoid paint chips and scrapes along the edges and corners, you'll inevitably end up with thin scratches on the flat surfaces. Nowhere near the quality of the FS/UK theatrical release, and that one wasn't anything terribly special in its own right. Very disappointing.

So bad in fact I'm considering returning this and settling for the quite-nice amaray. Far more care and consideration went into that packaging than this chintzy thing.

Very strange why the US is 3D playback only, surely they've missed a trick not including the 2D too

I assumed this would be like the Jurassic Park 3D release, which allowed you to watch the 3D disc in 2D on 3D-capable BD players. Can someone confirm this is not the case? (I.E. you need to try to play this in 2D on your 3D-capable setup).

I assumed this would be like the Jurassic Park 3D release, which allowed you to watch the 3D disc in 2D on 3D-capable BD players. Can someone confirm this is not the case? (I.E. you need to try to play this in 2D on your 3D-capable setup).

I confirm this will not play unless you have a 3D player and TV

I just passed by BB and they still have some steels, I thought the colors were more vibrant but its so not.... I still like better the original release, too bad...

I would still rather have this than the jumbo. The jumbo steel is garbage. Eventually there will be a price drop on the 2D version. I'll just swap discs.

Reactions: Ataneruo
I assume there are still tons and tons of stock of this steelbook? I won't bite on that 29,99 dollar price. Waiting since day on a cheaper price.