The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (Ext. Ed.) (3D Blu-ray SteelBook)(Best Buy) [USA]

mmcvey

Ginger Ninja
Premium Supporter
Feb 1, 2012
West Des Moines, Iowa
Release date: November 5, 2013
Price: $29.99
Purchase link: Best Buy.com

Don't know if someone else has caught this already, but if the artwork on the page is any indication it looks like Best Buy is getting this in the U.S. as well.

794043171826;canvasHeight=360;canvasWidth=640

Attachments

• hobbit.jpg
    hobbit.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 258
Last edited by a moderator:
Got mine, and grabbed Slap Shot while I was there as its on sale and I had a cert.

Not the greatest steelbook, but not horrid. I wanted the Extended Edition and it has a Steelbook, so might as well get it. The UV copy is 2D for those who are wondering.

Was able to exchange at Best Buy without a problem. Got the ONE copy that didn't have multiple paint chips, and it didn't have that weird blue line on the back either, so it was just a random thing with that first one.

Reactions: Ataneruo
I can't go until I get out of work so I did in store pick up. I hope they don't pick one for me that is beat up.

Just to rest everyone at ease...
I know it is not listed anywhere on the steel edition, the 3D discs are dual and you can choose 3D or 2D when disc is put in player. So says the general manager of my Best Buy!

I know it is not listed anywhere on the steel edition, the 3D discs are dual and you can choose 3D or 2D when disc is put in player. So says the general manager of my Best Buy!

And of course, managers are always right. Has anyone here actually confirmed this yet?

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

Try this in a 2D-only setup, without a 3D TV. See if it lets you choose..

Unfortunately it's not universal. A 3D disc can be authored so that it refuses to play in a 2D-only Blu-ray player.

I've never fully understood why this is the case, as the Blu-ray 3D standard was carefully designed so that a Blu-ray 3D disc could be played on 2D equipment by discarding the frames for the other eye.

One reason why separate 2D discs are often included in Blu-ray 3D/2D combos, could be to provide a 2D disc with less compression and potentially better PQ, but I've not really researched this :)

Reactions: Ataneruo
More than likely only 3D on this release because it only advertises 3D, and the specs on the J card indicates the feature presentation is only in 3D. Plus someone already said on the FS thread it did not play 2D. We could have had 2D but then we would have a jumbo. I would pass on the steel if it was a jumbo so even though I can't watch 3D (since I don't have a set), I would rather have no 2D and a slim steel than 2D and a jumbo steel. Hopefully soon I'll get a 3D set.

Just opened mine and put it in my player.
Disc WILL NOT PLAY IN 2D, only 3D
Now we know for sure.
I will keep the steel as I will eventually get a 3D TV and this is a slim steel, not a jumbo

Reactions: tono06
So I am gathering this won't work in a regular bluray player thats kind of lame, luckily it does have the digital copy so I'll just watch it on that. I might have passed had I known it wouldn't work in a regular bluray player and picked up 3 of those holiday steelbooks instead (didn't see any at walmart as it looked like they were still stocking the display did glance in there boxes and didn't see any but there was spots for the movie and marked $9.99).

So I am gathering this won't work in a regular bluray player thats kind of lame, luckily it does have the digital copy so I'll just watch it on that. I might have passed had I known it wouldn't work in a regular bluray player and picked up 3 of those holiday steelbooks instead (didn't see any at walmart as it looked like they were still stocking the display did glance in there boxes and didn't see any but there was spots for the movie and marked $9.99).

You're gathering? :p I think it's confirmed :thumbs: Very frustrating for those that want the steel, no 3D display and don't want to double-dip. Not a whole lot they could do besides make it a Jumbo or give the option of playing 3D in a 2D machine like some discs do. They're not going to drop the Bonus Features since this is the Ext Edition and has to have the Appendices in them.

Last edited:
Reactions: lolwut
Got mine today. Glad I have a 3D TV. It also comes with an HD UV copy so it still watchable if you don't have a 3D tv, though the picture and sound will dip a bit on the HDX copy if you are the type that notices that sort of thing:)

The only bad part is that I ended up spending more money on more blu rays while I was there:)

Last edited:
Picked my copy up and of course it had two small dings on the spine. They had some left on the rack so I swapped it out. What was really annoying was Best Buy used a huge order confirmation sticker on the steelbook. I thought I was going to rip the shrink wrap peeling that thing off.