The Lion King (4K+2D Blu-ray SteelBook) (Zavvi Exclusive) [UK]

snooloui

The 'Negative' Ninja
Premium Supporter
Feb 12, 2012
UK
Release date: December 3, 2018 (First Release) - November 18, 2019 (Second Release)
Purchase link: Zavvi (A restock of this steelbook will be available to order on Saturday 14th September 2019 6pm UK time)
Price: £27.99

TLK.jpg

TLK (inside).jpg

TLK (back).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I really like the art
It reminds me of the wall in the lobby at the Art of Animation resort in Florida
However after 8 versions of the film in my blu collection do I need another version
Will 4K and HDR be an improvement on a 2k animated film
I will most likely will decide to get it

Incredible art for those who have a real appreciation for the artistry of Disney. I definitely need this. Now I'm thinking about whether I need to scrap my entire Disney Classics if they do a whole new line like this. Possibly.

There will most likely be a Whalen mondo version soon too. I’ll wait for that

• Thanks
Reactions: Noodles
So are we going to get a load of 4k Disney steelbooks releases lol

Yes, this artwork got me thinking on similar lines as in - if it's confirmed by Andreas Deja - a mini run of steelbooks in similar style of films that he worked on.

While the US gets the Signature Edition Steelbooks we get the Andreas Deja artwork steelbooks (?)

Possible steelbook titles of films that he worked on:-
1) THE BLACK CAULDRON (1985) as Supervising Animator / Character Designer Dallben, Horned King and Fair Folk.
*2) BASIL, THE GREAT MOUSE DETECTIVE (1986) Character Animator Queen Mousetoria.
*3) WHO FRAMED ROGER RABBIT? (1988) Supervising Animator.
*4) OLIVER AND COMPANY (1989) Character Designer.
*5) THE LITTLE MERMAID (1989) Character Designer / Directing Animator / Supervising Animator.
*6) BEAUTY AND THE BEAST (1991) Supervising Animator.
*7) ALADDIN (1992) Supervising Animator.
*8) THE LION KING (1994) Supervising Animator.

*9) HERCULES (1997) Supervising Animator.
*10) FANTASIA 2000 (2000) Animator - Segment "Rhapsody in Blue".
*11) THE EMPEROR'S NEW GROOVE (2000) Additional Visual Development.
*12) LILO & STITCH (2002) Supervising Animator.
*13) HOME ON THE RANGE (2004) Animator Alameda Slim and Junior the Buffalo.
14) ENCHANTED (2007) Animator Queen Narissa..
*15) THE PRINCESS AND THE FROG (2009) Supervising Animator Mama Odie and Juju.
16) WINNIE THE POOH (2011) Supervising Animator / Visual Development Artist.

Reactions: DrH
Really love how different the artwork for this is. Prefer the more traditional Disney designs from Zavvi up to now, which typically more resemble the amaray artwork to a certain degree, but this is certainly a looker. The penciled character art on the front and rear is beautiful.

Saying that, I have the original glossy Zavvi steelbook and I don't NEED to double dip on this just because it's a 4K release. Probably going to pass, especially at £28.

Diamond Edition still the best one

View attachment 398997
Always liked this steelbook, but sticks out like a sore thumb from the standpoint of the whole Disney steelbook collection which has stuck with artwork more akin to the DVD/blu-ray releases.

From a singular, standalone view (i.e. not letting the entire Disney line skew my opinion and taking it as a 'solo' steelbook) would probably put the Diamond Edition, and the new 4K release above the original Zavvi release solely for not only daring to try something different, but doing it with spectacular results (not including the 4K release, which i'll make my mind up when I see some in hand screenshots/videos!)

One thing I've just noticed that slightly irks me - three images of Pumba on the front, including two images literally right next to one another in the bottom right??

I am really pleased that Disney has committed to a 4K steel of one of its animated classics. Whether or not you like the art is a personal preference. It is totally different to the Blu-ray releases which is great in my opinion. The lion king from watching it on release at the cinema then owning the VHS the DVD and many Blu-ray versions is something special. Along with the live theatre show and the the show in the Animal kingdom rarely can a film affect me so much. Moving into 4K now so have but the bullet and ordered.

Reactions: virkia