The Lion King (4K+2D Blu-ray SteelBook) (Zavvi Exclusive) [UK]

snooloui

The 'Negative' Ninja
Premium Supporter
Feb 12, 2012
UK
Release date: December 3, 2018 (First Release) - November 18, 2019 (Second Release)
Purchase link: Zavvi (A restock of this steelbook will be available to order on Saturday 14th September 2019 6pm UK time)
Price: £27.99

TLK.jpg

TLK (inside).jpg

TLK (back).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, would be difficult to state that we haven't had variety in our UK LION KING steelbooks....

Gloss varnish finish + embossing (December 2014):-
1540738720673.png

Zero finish + zero embossing + lenticular (December 2016):-
1540739012323.png

Presumably (educated guess) matte + spot gloss colour art and maybe the silhouette art too (December 2018):-
1540739261932.png
1540739292679.png

Last edited:
its true that this is one of Disney's big four and to be honest, this Beauty and the Beast and more recently Frozen are the only classics I'd expect to sell out each and every time they are re-released due to the popularity
Aladdin also, but to a lesser extent.

Since Best Buy is also going to have this exact same steelbook, I'm cancelling my Zavvi order.
Possibly one difference - going by the France LION KING steelbook mock-up - between the ROW and the Best Buy - looks like ours will be the first in the ROW Disney Signature Collection . . . the US of course already having a LION KING Signature Edition steelbook . . . I'd be surprised if they get two Signature Edition steelbooks but of course not impossible considering it's one of if not their biggest title.

US
1541811210810.png
1541811249897.png

ROW
1541811063867.png

See below post . . . if "Signature Edition" is present it will be printed on the O-ring making it the first UK Disney Signature Edition steelbook release.
II
V

Last edited:
Received this yesterday.
It is a really nice steel, some really great details such as Simba's head outlined in black on the spine.
As a collector of The Lion King on blu ray this is a worthwhile addition.

The other big question for myself was the upgrade to 4K worthwhile.
So I tried a small side by side viewing of the 4K disc and the Blu-ray Disc in this package
I have a Xbox one X to play 4k
I have a pioneer blu ray player
Samsung 4k 65 inch Tv
As my AVR does not have 4K pass through the sound from the Xbox is by optical so only DTS. From the bluray player Hd master audio.
So to it.
The TV up scales the picture from the bluray and looks better than I have ever watched the Lion King.
However the 4k has more detail in that the outlines of the characters are better defined.
This was only by a small amount I must add.
So the 4k TV has made the most difference rather than the 4k disc for this release
Future proofing I will always go for the 4k disc as now it I see the only way to get Dolby Atmos

Is anyone still waiting for there's to be delivered? I am awaiting this and Ant Man both apparently dispatched last week. I did receive The Big Lebowski which was apparently sent afterwards

This very, very nice and thoroughly interesting steelbook arrived a bit late today ... really cool metallic sheen effect on the drawings surrounding the 'main artwork' and the colour bits are glossed ... wasn't sure about this steelbook when I first saw the original design but now in-hand love it just as much as any of the previous LION KING steelbooks.

Would like to see a mini collection in the exact same style.

These pics courtesy BD.com:-
1544018313876.png
1544018527233.png

1544018717872.png

1544018755882.png

Is anyone still waiting for there's to be delivered? I am awaiting this and Ant Man both apparently dispatched last week. I did receive The Big Lebowski which was apparently sent afterwards
Still waiting on mine shipped on November 28th from Zavvi (to Germany). With my luck I'm gonna have to pick it up from customs again... The way it goes, my Amazon.fr steelbook shipped yesterday will arrive earlier...

As expected, my steelbook from Amazon.fr arrived earlier than the Zavvi one which has yet to show up. I have to admit I like the steelbook of this the best compared to all the others, all the small detailed drawings really shine. Second favorite would be the Best Buy pre-sale case:
new_20181207_111524.jpg

Very disappointed in Zavvi, as per usual.
Had it ordered but didn't arrive. Contacted them twice; first time (on the 11th, when they were definitely in stock!) I got the usual "wait 21 days" bullshit, even though I know well enough when a steelbook from them is to arrive.
Second time I got the question "do you want a replacement or a refund?" where I obviously asked for a replacement.
Then they go ahead and say "sorry it's discontinued so we can't replace it."

WHY THE **** EVEN ASK THEN?!
Not to mention their Twitter support then hopping on board messaging me and literally telling me the same **** and asking "do you want a refund?".
NO, I'LL PAY FOR A STEELBOOK I DIDN'T RECEIVE AT ALL.

I really hate Zavvi.. It's that they're one of the only stores that have a lot of steelbooks that I can get my hands on as well without "only UK" delivery stuff or whatever... Ugh.