The Lion King (4K+2D Blu-ray SteelBook) (Zavvi Exclusive) [UK]

snooloui

The 'Negative' Ninja
Premium Supporter
Feb 12, 2012
UK
Release date: December 3, 2018 (First Release) - November 18, 2019 (Second Release)
Purchase link: Zavvi (A restock of this steelbook will be available to order on Saturday 14th September 2019 6pm UK time)
Price: £27.99

TLK.jpg

TLK (inside).jpg

TLK (back).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I will be passing on getting this release
I already have the excellent Lion King Steelbook that was released in 2014 so I don't need this 4K steelbook

4K is of no interest to me with this release and nor will any other possible 4K UHD Disney animated films as steelbooks thay may or not be happening

Blu-ray picture quality of Lion King is good already IMO

I would only be interested in Blu-ray edition of disney films not got a steelbook yet
Some of the films won't happen as steelbooks until Disney Europe do a Blu-ray release

I have a 4k tv and I hardly buy any 4k discs.. they are just too expensive. The picture quality of Bluray animated movies is fantastic, so I'm not sure what benefit it will have on this. Also, the steelbook sucks!

OK, so Disney jumped late on the 4K bandwagon but goes without saying that it's perfectly natural that one of their very biggest hits - THE LION KING - is getting a 4K release ever since they adopted the format in the UK with GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY PART II back in the third quarter of last year.
First Disney/Marvel UK 4K release - September, 2017:-
1540378355294.png
1540378386248.png

. . . and as everyone knows, all of their subsequent Marvel releases for example have had the 4K disc option.

THE LION KING = the first of the Disney Classics to get a 4K disc and whatever anyone thinks about discernible improvement over the regular 1080p Blu-ray maybe best to wait until December (for the Christmas presents crowd) - when this is mooted for release - for any comment on the PQ and AQ.
Thought they would have released this in July of next year to tie it in with the 25th Anniversary and with the Favreau not strictly live action re-imaging remake more photorealistic animation (the same type of virtual cinematography technology that was used in THE JUNGLE BOOK).

Not 4K set up myself yet but I'm presuming that THE LION KING 4K vs. already excellent THE LION KING 2K release will be less about the 4K vs. 2K resolution and more about the HDR vs. SDR.

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: DMD4k
The Lion King is another league compared to most all Disney Classics
The first 4K disney classic steel in the U.K.
The other recent Steels are more filling in the collection gaps more likely
Sure, but I still find it hard to believe they sold 4000 of these already. I have a feeling this is going to turn out to be a WWA. Some would also have us believe 4k isn't a selling point. Plus the art and overall design on those "others" is just better (though that's subjective I admit).

Quite odd that this has been more of a hit than Robinsons, Atlantis or Bolt! Unless this one is a shared print run with some other retailer we still don't know about.
It's a very popular film in terms of Disney Catalog
It's most likely one Disney best sellers on all formats

Both previous Lion King steelbooks sold out quickly so it's not surprising this steelbook also sold out and been 4K UHD would also made a difference.

You can expect as usual after customer cancellations stock be made available again like previous lenticular steelbook I expect won't last long when it does come back in stock

A lot of disney steelbooks have been print runs of 2,000 to 3,000 not all have been 4,000 print runs
Some have been made in China ;)

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Quite odd that this has been more of a hit than Robinsons, Atlantis or Bolt! Unless this one is a shared print run with some other retailer we still don't know about.
The first Lion King Blu-Ray Steelbook from Zavvi sold out equally fast, I expected the same here and it did. Lion King is way more popular than Atlantis, Robinsons or Bolt.

Reactions: paulboland
So basically people are buying it over and over again just for the film, not for the steel art.

So basically people are buying it over and over again just for the film, not for the steel art.
There is a lot of new steelbook collectors since previous steelbooks was released :naughty:

Been 4K UHD also means previous collectors purchasing and new collectors

Highly popular films sell well especially when it comes to Disney even when it's a re-release as there is always lot of new customers to sell to every few years

Lion King is title that will continue to sell well now and in years to come as there will be a always new generation of customers who not purchased previously

• Thanks
Yes, and most of those same arguments could be made for any first time release, which those other 3 are. But fine, I underestimated how much draw the Lion King has.

Yes, and most of those same arguments could be made for any first time release, which those other 3 are. But fine, I underestimated how much draw the Lion King has.
Only certain films have a high level of sales for multi re-releases
Lion King just happens to be one of those films

A lot of the other disney films that had a re-release or not even previously had a steelbook release at all are not in the same league as Lion King so will take longer to sell out

Bolt/Atlantis/Meet the Robinsons are way down the list in terms of popularity and sales compared to Lion King

• Thanks
Reactions: Siran and DMD4k
Only certain films have a high level of sales for multi re-releases
Lion King just happens to be one of those films

A lot of the other disney films that had a re-release or not even previously had a steelbook release at all are not in the same league as Lion King so will take longer to sell out

Bolt/Atlantis/Meet the Robinsons are way down the list in terms of popularity and sales compared to Lion King

Also Bolt and Meet the Robinsons are Region B locked.

I'm not a fan of the inside .... but depending on print finish quality , that art has the capability of being amazing print wise .... if they want to go the extra mile that is .... And if they did, then I wouldnt care about the inside ill rarely see.

• Thanks
Also Bolt and Meet the Robinsons are Region B locked.
Even if they was region free they still would take a while to sell out as have a few others that took a while some are still available.

They are not as popular compared to a lot of other disney classic animated films

Yes they been mentioned a lot on HDN as wanted titles as steelbooks and good to see them get a release and I hope the rest of the disney classics not got a steelbook release yet eventually get a steelbook release.

Some disney films simply are a lot more popular than others and that gets reflected in sales and is why some of the disney steelbook re-releases sold out quick and others took a while to sell second time round.

• Thanks
The Lion King
I have the soundtrack on Walt Disney records The legacy collection.
The amount of emotion that it can bring from the music and songs alone without the visuals of the film shows the power that the film brings.
I Saw the Lion King at the Cinema with my pregnant wife at the time and it had the little one kicking, she still loves Disney all these years older. Since then I have had the film on every format, except laserdiscs as that was too expensive at the time.
Now on Blu ray many times and as I have just invested in 4K what better way to get the collection going with a firm favourite and a totally different steel

The stage show is in my opinion the best show at the theatre.
The show at the Animal Kingdom is also worth a visit

So back on track

The Lion King like no other film, except Beauty and the Beast has a long lasting effect on me and my family at least

• Thanks
Reactions: Siran and Stygian