The Lord of the Rings Trilogy (4K Blu-ray SteelBooks) [UK]

paulboland

Contributor Steels/Arrow
Contributor
Premium Supporter
Sep 10, 2012
Navan/Ireland
Release date: November 30, 2020 - January 23, 2023 (Re print)
Purchase links: WB Shop - Zavvi - Amazon UK - HMV
Price: £99.99
Finish: Matte w/ no 'bossing (steelbook & case)
Notes: WB Shop includes Artcards - UHD Discs only does not include Blu-ray discs

81Q8mRHYcAL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
Zavvi links won't be live till 0900 AM Friday Oct 09, 2020

This is a tough call as the 4k editions are going to be too expensive to double dip on. I'm tempted by the steels, but the giftset edition looks pretty fantastic too.

I just got official press release.

Interestingly enough they tout other releases to happen next year. I'm kinda guessing those wont be steel tho.

Both Trilogies feature the theatrical and extended versions of the six Middle-earth films in
4K resolution with High Dynamic Range (HDR)

Six-film “Middle-earth” Ultimate Collectors’ Edition with new Bonus Content
to be released in 4K UHD in Summer 2021

The Lord of the Rings Trilogy Remastered Blu-ray™
to be released in 4K UHD in fourth Quarter 2021 to celebrate 20th anniversary of The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring

The 4K remastering process was overseen by Peter Jackson.

In addition, it was also announced that a 4K UHD “Middle-earth” Ultimate Collectors’ Edition featuring the theatrical and extended versions of all six films, along with new bonus content, previously released Blu-ray discs of The Hobbit Trilogy, and remastered Blu-ray discs of The Lord of the Rings Trilogy will be released in the summer of 2021. The Lord of the Rings Trilogy featuring remastered Blu-ray discs of the theatrical and extended versions of the 3 films will also be released in the fourth quarter 2021, to celebrate the 20th anniversary of The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring.

The 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray discs of The Hobbit Trilogy and The Lord of the Rings Trilogy will feature Dolby VisionTM HDR that dramatically expands the color palette and contrast range and uses dynamic metadata to automatically optimize the picture for every screen, frame by frame. The 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray discs of The Hobbit Trilogy and The Lord of the Rings Trilogy will also feature a Dolby Atmos® soundtrack remixed specifically for the home theater environment to place and move audio anywhere in the room, including overhead. To experience Dolby Atmos at home, a Dolby Atmos enabled AV receiver and additional speakers are required, or a Dolby Atmos enabled sound bar. Dolby Atmos soundtracks are also fully backward compatible with traditional audio configurations and legacy home entertainment equipment.

I just got official press release.

Interestingly enough they tout other releases to happen next year. I'm kinda guessing those wont be steel tho.

Both Trilogies feature the theatrical and extended versions of the six Middle-earth films in
4K resolution with High Dynamic Range (HDR)

Six-film “Middle-earth” Ultimate Collectors’ Edition with new Bonus Content
to be released in 4K UHD in Summer 2021

The Lord of the Rings Trilogy Remastered Blu-ray™
to be released in 4K UHD in fourth Quarter 2021 to celebrate 20th anniversary of The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring

The 4K remastering process was overseen by Peter Jackson.

In addition, it was also announced that a 4K UHD “Middle-earth” Ultimate Collectors’ Edition featuring the theatrical and extended versions of all six films, along with new bonus content, previously released Blu-ray discs of The Hobbit Trilogy, and remastered Blu-ray discs of The Lord of the Rings Trilogy will be released in the summer of 2021. The Lord of the Rings Trilogy featuring remastered Blu-ray discs of the theatrical and extended versions of the 3 films will also be released in the fourth quarter 2021, to celebrate the 20th anniversary of The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring.

The 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray discs of The Hobbit Trilogy and The Lord of the Rings Trilogy will feature Dolby VisionTM HDR that dramatically expands the color palette and contrast range and uses dynamic metadata to automatically optimize the picture for every screen, frame by frame. The 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray discs of The Hobbit Trilogy and The Lord of the Rings Trilogy will also feature a Dolby Atmos® soundtrack remixed specifically for the home theater environment to place and move audio anywhere in the room, including overhead. To experience Dolby Atmos at home, a Dolby Atmos enabled AV receiver and additional speakers are required, or a Dolby Atmos enabled sound bar. Dolby Atmos soundtracks are also fully backward compatible with traditional audio configurations and legacy home entertainment equipment.

So they are releasing them all in 4K next month but then remastered 4K next year? Lol overkill.
Why anyone would buy these and not wait until next year is beyond me if they will be better versions next year

So they are releasing them all in 4K next month but then remastered 4K next year? Lol overkill.
Why anyone would buy these and not wait until next year is beyond me if they will be better versions next year
The 4k discs wont be any different, its the 1080p discs of the lotr that will be remastered for the release next year.

These initial sets of 4k only boxs and steels are to be released in December.

Then the ultimate edition of all 6 in 4k and 1080p (with remastered 1080p lotr discs) and special features are due summer 2021.

Then lotr will be released again in Q4 2021 for the 20th anniversary with the remastered 1080p discs. Unclear whether the 1080p discs will be sold separately or as a 4k combo.

Assume there'll be a hobbit 4k and 1080p combo pack released at the same time too if the lotr gets a combo release, but that hasn't been mentioned.

I thought I'd misread that yesterday, there was a link to the middle-earth website (on the Best Buy thread). That site reads like something from the 90s, tho.

I'm hoping these are the remasters and the promo material is just badly worded.

Reactions: Flloydo
The 4k discs wont be any different, its the 1080p discs of the lotr that will be remastered for the release next year.

These initial sets of 4k only boxs and steels are to be released in December.

Then the ultimate edition of all 6 in 4k and 1080p (with remastered 1080p lotr discs) and special features are due summer 2021.

Then lotr will be released again in Q4 2021 for the 20th anniversary with the remastered 1080p discs. Unclear whether the 1080p discs will be sold separately or as a 4k combo.

Assume there'll be a hobbit 4k and 1080p combo pack released at the same time too if the lotr gets a combo release, but that hasn't been mentioned.

Ah ok. Very backward. I can’t afford these this year anyway and I’ve gone off the art too so I’ll wait for better steels which are bound to happen next year or premium WEA format

Ah ok. Very backward. I can’t afford these this year anyway and I’ve gone off the art too so I’ll wait for better steels which are bound to happen next year or premium WEA format
Agreed, odd way of doing it. Only reason i can think of is they wanted something out for this Christmas to bump sales and the 1080p discs simply aren't ready yet.

Agree though, these steels are naff, I won't be buying them. I'll grab the 4k sets and jump on the zeta bandwagon whenever those are due.

Reactions: Flloydo
Agreed, odd way of doing it. Only reason i can think of is they wanted something out for this Christmas to bump sales and the 1080p discs simply aren't ready yet.

Agree though, these steels are naff, I won't be buying them. I'll grab the 4k sets and jump on the zeta bandwagon whenever those are due.

They are literally the reasons, because of Christmas, greed and the studios making no money off of new films. These have been in the pipeline a while though with the info circulating as long as a year ago, Roughly but still such a strange and pointless way of doing things with the other releases next year. But people will still buy both lots this year and next!

Yeah these arts are shite. Defo waiting on zeta gold

Also why is it 3 discs each? Is it one 4K film spread over 3 discs or spread over 2 discs and 1 bonus or 4K on 1 disc and 2 bonus

Also do we really need anymore Lotr releases With bonus discs. I’m pretty sure anyone who’s a fan of these films already owns them and the special features. Just give me 1 4K disc per film and put that price down.

How many times will someone watch the making of these films and be excited by a 4K upscale making of when the older blu ray discs will be good enough for special features

• Haha
Reactions: astycorax