The Lord of the Rings Trilogy (4K Blu-ray SteelBooks) [UK]

paulboland

Contributor Steels/Arrow
Contributor
Premium Supporter
Sep 10, 2012
Navan/Ireland
Release date: November 30, 2020 - January 23, 2023 (Re print)
Purchase links: WB Shop - Zavvi - Amazon UK - HMV
Price: £99.99
Finish: Matte w/ no 'bossing (steelbook & case)
Notes: WB Shop includes Artcards - UHD Discs only does not include Blu-ray discs

81Q8mRHYcAL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
I had an issue like that with my Thor: Ragnorok 4K UHD disc recently. I took it out, wiped it with a soft dry cloth and put it back in again. Re-started playback from a couple of mins before it had started playing up and it played perfectly all the way through the rest of the film. I couldn't see any scratches or dust on the disc when I examined it, but just giving it a wipe seemed to do the trick!
Thank you @Doctor for your advice :) Unfortunately problem still appears.
I think it is just coding error in this particular disc in manufacturing process. I will return this and pre-order on Zavvi a new one.

Then I think it can be indeed the discs themselves with problems. It could happen sometimes that just few disks to have some issues due to the materials used... so not something that could be seen in an quality check, at a larger scale, but just very few pieces.

Maybe also further check, cause I had read (some time ago) some weird manifestations sometimes, with some specific models of TV's combined with some specific models of players (usually from different brands, so if you have both from Sony, might not be the case, although I think some of the most prominent issues were with Sony TV's I think, if I recall correctly).
What I saw there in your pictures lead me to think that either this could be as you said (problems with the disc), but also could be some issues of "handshake" between the devices in the chain, especially if you also get complete dropouts of video (black screen) and sound (no sound), not both at the same time or both at the same time. But again, this kind of issues could happen mostly when there are some devices incompatibility, longer cables (especially non-certified ones), or even a faulty cable (even one that is just 1 meter long), and more prone to happen when the source demands very high bandwidth, like when the movie is in Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos (or HDR10+ & DTS X) and all the devices in the chain are capable, but the cable is not quite.

Hope this helps!
Thank you @Felix_ro for your help and advice :) Everything is compatible with everything if I can say that, making a long story short :) I guess my order from HMV wasn't so lucky and one of the discs was faulty with error coding. I am returning this box set as soon as I will recive new one from Zavvi. Thank you once again for your time and effort :)

Reactions: Felix_ro
welcome to HDN, @Arrival! :) yeah, i have had this sort of artefacting on a few premium release discs :blackeye:. in those cases, it was actual coding errors in the disc in manufacture, rather than firmware or disc cleanliness issues (which as other Ninjas have said above, it can be). i hope you manage to get it sorted and/or replaced ASAP! :thumbs:
Thank you @steelmybeatingheart for your good word and support :) This is my first serious problem with disc. My movie library is very rich and everything playing flawlessly. But particularly this one (LOTR) I can't stand it. I have to admit I am really angry, especially after a long and ridiculous battle with HMV. But anyway, I will return this. Already pre-orderd on Zavvi. I'm praying for a good and free from defects copy :)

Reactions: steelmybeatingheart
Thank you @steelmybeatingheart for your good word and support :) This is my first serious problem with disc. My movie library is very rich and everything playing flawlessly. But particularly this one (LOTR) I can't stand it. I have to admit I am really angry, especially after a long and ridiculous battle with HMV. But anyway, I will return this. Already pre-orderd on Zavvi. I'm praying for a good and free from defects copy :)
i've got a reasonably sized collection, and this has only ever happened a few times, so you just got unlucky. fingers crossed you get a unblemished replacement. :thumbs:

Reactions: Arrival
Managed to put in orders for both this and The Hobbit Trilogy SB sets when they came back up available in Jan ‘21. Both orders have now finally been updated by Z to show an Expected Delivery date of 31st July 2021 !! So is this a second pressing or what?

cg2729, I just recived LOTR from Zavvi today. Ordered 21st of January, I will replace my faulty one from HMV. I hope you will recive your copies much more sooner :)

@Arrival can you please confirm how the packaging from Zavvi was for this? Will it be safer to ship to US from Zavvi or Amazon IT? I have generally had a good experience with Zavvi (99.9% of the time) but have not ordered a box-set before. The rare occasion when things go wrong, they are very difficult to interact with for refunds and returns.

Amazon IT is not too good with packaging either....service is a little better but in case of damaged items, they ask for return at own cost and later reimburse shipping charges, which is also not very convenient!!

Hi @BaleHardy :) I would suggest avoiding Amazon from buying this kind of Blu-ray case if we are speaking about LOTR. Before December last year, I received a parcel in mint condition, but the Steelbook case was damaged, had a huge scratch on it, so it was returned at once as a damaged item without any additional cost (Amazon.co.uk). I don't know what's the pattern, but I saw many people with the same experience and problem, they just received damaged item. But The Hobbit case was in mint condition, also ordered from Amazon UK, so who knows what is going on. But this is only my experience.

The package from Zavvi in my opinion was OK but not perfect. Let's just say the box was sturdy enough for not too long shipment time. They just put LOTR Set into the box without any additional bubble wrap for safety and that's it. Thankfully an item arrived unspoiled :) Blu-ray are finally fine :) so I can own an undamaged copy :)
I have generally had a good experience with Zavvi (99.9% of the time) as well but sometimes they can be very difficult... If you are thinking about shipping to the US, it might be a little bit stressful for you, I think.
Anyway, good luck and fingers crossed :) All the best for you :)

Did anyone figure out why the Zavvi ones are pre-orders for July when the box sets have already been released?

Did anyone figure out why the Zavvi ones are pre-orders for July when the box sets have already been released?
They sold through the first and second waves of them.

I'd imagine there are manufacturing constraints on sets like these - that or they're clearing warehouse stock for replacements or returns before the announced complete Middle Earth collection that's coming out in the summer.

Reactions: andy01652
Back in stock at Zavvi

Use code "reddit" for 12% off. If you're buying The Hobbit set as well, and want to use the code, having them both in the trolley caps the discount at £20 (oe) for some reason - so buy them separately

• Informative
Reactions: Noodles
Same! So much for summer 2021
If it ever does come out I would guess summer 2022 at the earliest but I would bet on it never being released, I hope I'm wrong. There so far behind with releases that we will be lucky to get everything currently announced over the next 18 months.
Seems like they released LOTR and Hobbit Silver Label's because they were not going to have time to do something similar to Nolan's Batman trilogy. Plus those Silver Label releases look awfully nice in hand, yeah it's wrapped in WWA but still looks great sealed.