UK
Release date: October 10, 2016
Purchase link: Zavvi - Pre-order live Saturday 13 at 6 PM
Price: £21.99

1.jpg

11323363-1144408627608012.jpg
11323363-1134408627674063.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Surely you'd just put in the pre-order then if it's not sold out 2 weeks before release then cancel the order? that way you're covered both ways... what I do. If it looks like I don't need to pay full price (High Rise & Bone Tomahawk this month)

1. It has to be said. Damn you Zavvi for producing an astonishingly cover. Now that's the 3 copy I have to have and probably a 4th if there is a 4k version

I guess they could say suggested price was but we are selling it for this price instead

Yeah , possible but it's still quite naught imo as to say save £15 would suggest that at some point it was for sale at £36.99.

It's also possibly why pre order prices are sometimes high so they can them say WOW was £789.99 now £8.99

Reactions: Mark
What if this sells out and there's no restock (Last Action Hero)?

Selling out (WOW!) . . . can't really compare the two (IMO) for a few reasons I can think of off the top of my head:-

1) Price: LAST ACTION HERO was something like 12.99, if I remember correctly, with this almost 10 quid more expensive EEK!

2) Limited Edition: LAH was "Ultra Limited" to 2,000 with the new one . . . who knows . . . 3,000 / 4,000???

3) New release vs. old - Content: new steel not really an inferior release compared to the previous steel regarding content as both steels contain 2 BD 50 discs - difference being 3D film in the former and loads of new Extras in this one. Also not forgetting the Ridley Scott Commentary not found in the first one.
Artwork and title on the new steelbook are definite pluses though.

2) Finish: LAH had both embossing and de-bossing if I remember correctly and this probably has neither (?)

3) Film: LAH much loved almost cult appeal with one of the biggest stars in the universe in the lead role and not forgetting Charles Dance putting in a wonderfully insolent turn as Anthony Quinn's coloured glass eyeball changing right hand man.
I wonder if THE MARTIAN will ever be liked as much or even be talked about in 10 let alone 25 years (methinks not).

Reactions: steelmybeatingheart
Selling out (WOW!) . . . can't really compare the two (IMO) for a few reasons I can think of off the top of my head:-

1) Price: LAST ACTION HERO was something like 12.99, if I remember correctly, with this almost 10 quid more expensive EEK!

2) Limited Edition: LAH was "Ultra Limited" to 2,000 with the new one . . . who knows . . . 3,000 / 4,000???

3) New release vs. old - Content: new steel not really an inferior release compared to the previous steel regarding content as both steels contain 2 BD 50 discs - difference being 3D film in the former and loads of new Extras in this one. Also not forgetting the Ridley Scott Commentary not found in the first one.
Artwork and title on the new steelbook are definite pluses though.

2) Finish: LAH had both embossing and de-bossing if I remember correctly and this probably has neither (?)

3) Film: LAH much loved almost cult appeal with one of the biggest stars in the universe in the lead role and not forgetting Charles Dance putting in a wonderfully insolent turn as Anthony Quinn's coloured glass eyeball changing right hand man.
I wonder if THE MARTIAN will ever be liked as much or even be talked about in 10 let alone 25 years (methinks not).

Points and counterpoints:
1) I agree, price does make a big impact. This may be the one reason it takes longer to sell out
2) "Ultra limited" is a bit of a stretch term, but I'm sure Zavvi would apply it if the print run was 2,000. Again, I think this will take a while to sell out, but I don't foresee a price drop in that time.
3) The "old" steelbook wasn't available worldwide to many people at a decent price, certainly not us here in the U.S. The few retailers that did sell it were HMV, some Amazon sites at ridiculous prices, and some Asian retailers.
a) This new steelbook is superior in every way to the awful first Martian steelbook (minus 3D)
b) We don't have any details on embossing/debossing/finish
c) LAH is a must-have for Schwarzennegger fans. I re-watched it recently and found it too long and uneven. Not a bad movie, but not in the same category as Terminator 2 and Predator. The Martian is a must-have for science, space exploration, Ridley Scott, and Matt Damon fans. The Martian has an 8.1 rating on IMDB while LAH has a 6.2. The Martian was nominated for seven Oscars. As a kid, LAH was always (to me) the movie that heralded Schwarzennegger's downfall. Its appeal is a bit limited. The Martian has a much broader appeal. I am pretty confident that I'll still be talking about it in 10 years, probably 25. If you doubt me, read the book, which is even better than the movie.

Points (a) and (c) are the main reasons why the steelbook will sell out in good time at the price it's offered at.

Last edited:
Loved it, bought it. I wonder if Zavvi will click and start making editions like HDZETA, Blufans, Manta, Nova, Filmarena etc. They have the money and connections to do so.

• Thanks
Reactions: JCC
I almost regret reading the book first on this one. Think I might have enjoyed the film more. It's a lovely steelbook but is in all likelihood going to sit on the shelf unwatched. Reluctant pass.

i personally would not buy this steel, it looks great, but the film is so boring. an extended version of an already drawn out film doesnt excite me.

1) I agree, price does make a big impact. This may be the one reason it takes longer to sell out
2) "Ultra limited" is a bit of a stretch term, but I'm sure Zavvi would apply it if the print run was 2,000. Again, I think this will take a while to sell out, but I don't foresee a price drop in that time.
3) The "old" steelbook wasn't available worldwide to many people at a decent price, certainly not us here in the U.S. The few retailers that did sell it were HMV, some Amazon sites at ridiculous prices, and some Asian retailers.
a) This new steelbook is superior in every way to the awful first Martian steelbook (minus 3D)
c) LAH is a must-have for Schwarzennegger fans. I re-watched it recently and found it too long and uneven. Not a bad movie, but not in the same category as Terminator 2 and Predator. The Martian is a must-have for science, space exploration, Ridley Scott, and Matt Damon fans. The Martian has an 8.1 rating on IMDB while LAH has a 6.2. The Martian was nominated for seven Oscars. As a kid, LAH was always (to me) the movie that heralded Schwarzennegger's downfall. Its appeal is a bit limited. The Martian has a much broader appeal. I am pretty confident that I'll still be talking about it in 10 years, probably 25. If you doubt me, read the book, which is even better than the movie.

Points (a) and (c) are the main reasons why the steelbook will sell out in good time at the price it's offered at.

I have a feeling this one will sell out, maybe not on pre order or as quick as last action hero but I can see it being not far off even with that price

Thread is already on page 9 and a lot of that is praise

Plus I wonder how many didn't bite with the WWA like me. (Would of been a different story if the last one had a spine title)

And being fox it will possibly have a debossed title and at a stretch maybe just maybe some spot glossing

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: JCC and harry
Pass here also. More than happy with my FAC.

Not worth the outlay for what should have been included in the bonus features on the original release IMO!

Looks like this is going to be a trend. Fox already did this with X-Men 'Rogue Cut'

Ordered.
No uni discount working but I just cannot risk missing out on this fabulous looking Steel.
The artwork is the most important thing for me and anything that has an illustrative theme and I am sold :)

Yes, thank you for your input.
1) Of course it will sell out just as the HMV did, even though it was missing its title - just as everything limited sells out. . . but I'd be surprised if this sells out any time soon, at least not until Christmas, and the coin's up in the air as to whether this will see a price drop of any description.
2) A print run of 2,000 is "Ultra limited" according to Zavvi and many, many of their past steelbooks were listed thus - goes without saying a description designed to "persuade" us to "Buy now" instead of "Buy later" (and a VERY useful description that I'd like to see on all other steelbook retailers' sites . . . if used honestly).
3) Living in the U.K. I have no knowledge of your point but would understand the "mixed" feelings of anyone living in a territory that HMV doesn't ship to and being forced to join an expensive group buy to pick up the HMV Exclusive steelbook of your choice is hardly ideal !
4) Got to disagree most vehemently with your comment here !!! The HMV is a lovely glossy steelbook with an iconic image taken directly from one of the original posters designed by IGNITION (so no need for the old Matt (Damon) varnish finish joke as not relevant to the HMV although may be relevant to the Zavvi (?)):-

5) True, we have no details yet of finish or 'bossing but I'm not holding my breath for good things . . . and although I prefer the Zavvi artwork and colouring I can't see this new one even in the same class as the HMV.
6) Sticking to my preference for the type of fun film that LAH is than these bloated sci-fi epics (a whole list of which I could name if I could be bothered).