The official Oppo BDP-103 Owners thread

digitalbabe

Premium Supporter
Apr 12, 2009
USA
Oppo 103 models

Darbee and non Darbee.

Which mod kit did you buy and how do you like the player so far?

Chime in!

71G-h6Th5lL._SL1500_.jpg

I was lucky enough to get this as a present tonight from my wife!!!
I'm watching the Wolverine on it now, and it is beautiful.
I have the US version, and plan to get a region mod kit for it.
Also plan on updating my receiver from my almost 15 yr old Kenwood - although, it still sounds awesome.

Anyone else on here have this model?

For those of you that own these Oppo BR players in general how is the operation of the "OS" (so to speak) on these players. One of my biggest complaints when I have used any other kind of BR player other then a PS3 is that the operation of the menu's, load times, and just general operation is laggy, frustrating and limited. For example the PS3 when I connect my external HDD with some of my downloaded content I can do sequential playback of files in a folder and overall the PS3 because of its processing power the menu's operate without lag and good response time between input from the remote to the PS3.

Just wondering if these Oppo player's live up to the hype sort of thing. I ask because I HATE using my region free player, lol, and sometimes even skip watching a region locked disc in favour of something I can pop into my PS3 instead as I dread using the region free player so much.

Being able to play MKV files would be a huge plus as well on these Oppo's which I know they support.

Damn that's a Great gift!!!! I have one and its AMAZING!!! I bought the Region Free Mod from Ebay for about $55/$58. Easy install and I've been able to watch all my Region locked discs. Congrats on this Awesome Gift!!

yeah, my Insignia, which is region free, is getting to a point where it won't play some newer disks, let alone any combo 3D/2d disks. So I put this on my wish list, and low and behold! Yep, I got the mod on order now :)

---------- Post added at 11:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:30 PM ----------

For those of you that own these Oppo BR players in general how is the operation of the "OS" (so to speak) on these players. One of my biggest complaints when I have used any other kind of BR player other then a PS3 is that the operation of the menu's, load times, and just general operation is laggy, frustrating and limited. For example the PS3 when I connect my external HDD with some of my downloaded content I can do sequential playback of files in a folder and overall the PS3 because of its processing power the menu's operate without lag and good response time between input from the remote to the PS3.

Just wondering if these Oppo player's live up to the hype sort of thing. I ask because I HATE using my region free player, lol, and sometimes even skip watching a region locked disc in favour of something I can pop into my PS3 instead as I dread using the region free player so much.

Being able to play MKV files would be a huge plus as well on these Oppo's which I know they support.

so far so good! watched The Wolverine, which wouldn't play on my Insignia, and kept freezing up on my laptop. Netflix works really well with wireless to. gonna try streaming from PC in the next few days.

picture was better on this than Insignia, using same HDMI cable. I'm running sound through optic, and sounded great too. I'm impressed so far. :oohyeah:

Reactions: Jason Bourne
The menus and Operating are smooth! Fast playback without any lag or slow loading. The only times I had an issue was when I would start the player and add the disc. It would stay loading for a while but then I would just eject the disc and put it back in. It's rare but that's the only issue, it's done it about 3 times total. Good thing about this player that it can upscale to 4k :D

Do they all require a region free mod kit? I ordered the darbee edition n I'm hoping that will b good to go

Reactions: spawnshop
Do they all require a region free mod kit? I ordered the darbee edition n I'm hoping that will b good to go

as far as I know from my research, all US models are region A only and need a mod kit. although some are pre-modded, but the store would most likely have that in the description. if not, it's cost me $55 and it's an easy install.

My guess, Wreck, is that it is not region free.

Last edited:
Thanks. Man that's a lot of buttons to press for a hack. More than my last player

Yeah, i thought the same. Luckily with my Harmony 360 remote, i can set up a sequence to only use one button to change the regions

:D
Best remote I ever bought - just set it up with my Oppo 103 last night - works perfectly! :thumbs:
(of course, i only paid about half that - over 5 years ago!)

By the way, Netflix is beautiful on the Oppo 103 too! I used to watch it on my 360, and the quality was OK, would get HD the majority of the time. But with the Oppo, I get Super HD quality on almost everything! Just a better app overall too. And I'm using the wireless USB plugin it came with - works really well - no network issues at all.

Last edited:
that one ships from Hong Kong tho :(
also twice the price!

well it claims to do something totally different....

Furutech Inlet (R) - Rhodium Plated.

(Alpha) Eutectic (Low Temperature) cast copper alloy Conductor.

Mundorf 99% Silver 1% Gold Wire 1.0mm - Double Run.

- Twist cable consisting of a pair 1.0mm of Mundorf silver gold wire, sleeved with white PTFE.

Cables are soldered using Mundorf 9.5% silver solder supreme - (Mundorf's top of the range solder).

-9.5% Silver is used for better conductivity and retaining superior sound qualities with 0.1% gold added.

Easy install, just 3 mintues to enhance both visual and sound quality of your Oppo Blu-Ray Player.

Reactions: spawnshop
well it claims to do something totally different....

Furutech Inlet (R) - Rhodium Plated.

(Alpha) Eutectic (Low Temperature) cast copper alloy Conductor.

Mundorf 99% Silver 1% Gold Wire 1.0mm - Double Run.

- Twist cable consisting of a pair 1.0mm of Mundorf silver gold wire, sleeved with white PTFE.

Cables are soldered using Mundorf 9.5% silver solder supreme - (Mundorf's top of the range solder).

-9.5% Silver is used for better conductivity and retaining superior sound qualities with 0.1% gold added.

Easy install, just 3 mintues to enhance both visual and sound quality of your Oppo Blu-Ray Player.

Interesting, but since my wife is always telling me to turn down the volume when I'm watching blurays, it's just not worth the $ for me....:hilarious: