The Official SteelBook Custom Glossing thread!

howiesteed

sex panther ltd .CEO
Premium Supporter
Dec 30, 2013
burton on trent
Here us a slight guide to the way I glossed mine ok here's what I used

A gravity fed spray gun
yvavu2y8.jpg

Then I used some accelerator and clear coat which I use when I spray cars also added is a slight but if thinners I think it's 2 to 1
apy7e8ar.jpg

The steels are wiped over with cleaners I get rid of grime and oil that fingers can lea e and any oils
desuse2y.jpg

Then I spray it in a booth which is heated and has ventilation AND IS HEATED KNOWN AS AN OVEN
Basically it what I use to spray car bits
apuhypa3.jpg

Then spray and leave them to harden at least a day and this will be hard enough to polish to

ysu6egez.jpg

OH I FORGOTTO ADD A PICTURE OF THE HARDENER AND THE FACT I GET ALL KITTED UP LIKE WALTER WHITE FROM BREAKING BAD ....

WELL A BREATHING MASK AND OVERALLS AS THIS STUFF ISNT GOOD FOR BREATHING IN A CONFINED SPACE

Edited for trading
8ebyge6a.jpg

ra8ane2e.jpg

attachment.php

and can do sparkly too
ty7apuve.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Check yours and see if there No damage to the finish. I'll take some pics of the ones I did and the one I got from you. It could be an easy fix of sanding and buffing but I won't know till I try.

The first couple of steels I did with Enamel Finish are fine and have No visible damage.

Damn Crap!! Every attachment is in the wrong order and multiple of the same. Now I'm trying the mobile site uploading. Looks to have attached much better than tapatalk.

20140728_212824.jpg
20140728_212843.jpg
20140728_212806.jpg

Enamel Finish, still in good condition.

20140728_214500.jpg

That's strange it depends on what you use . Seems like the lacquer is still soft . It possibly can be sorted with some sanding and cutting compound buffing it up . The mermaid can.sort it for you

Reactions: ocielz
ocielz from my boy racer days that LM looks like its had a change of temperature before fully drying the laquer, I don't laquer (I let Mark do mine) but when I'm spraying I leave them a week no need to rush :)
Is that my Pi Mark> ;)
PS I sent the 'others' yesterday :D

Reactions: ocielz
1st one as the other seems like a wood one plus it has the word gloss on it and I hate that . But the 1st one seems too cheap if you get me as you usually get what you pay for . But try it on a old useless steel. Probably godfather or some other rubbish

• Helpful Post
Reactions: ChrisIW
1st one as the other seems like a wood one plus it has the word gloss on it and I hate that . But the 1st one seems too cheap if you get me as you usually get what you pay for . But try it on a old useless steel. Probably godfather or some other rubbish

Yeah it does seem too cheap to me as well. Luckily I do have a broken Heat steelbook that Zavvi replaced and never asked for the damaged one back - so it should be perfect for risk-free testing.

Thanks, I'll give it a try :thumbs:

two steels that i did with spray like that looked great at first, but a few months later they developed a crackle type effect,

This is an enamel, not a lacquer. I've seen issues with cracking when a lacquer was used, but not this stuff. I've done a lot of them and all but a few turned out exactly the way I wanted them to.

Captain America 2:
F35DAF59-7883-4111-A221-4EF7A9E2F09C_zpsie16uhbo.jpg~original

Fight Club:
770cb523-1e74-424b-bffe-3d1f46c7f13e_zpsbcbee837.jpg~original

Prometheus:
BEFORE
EB253D41-D892-42D6-B69B-91154EC28787_zps3vpjbx0i.jpg~original

AFTER
dddcc3e4-94a7-493b-af4c-ce259e6b655e_zps6b4db49c.jpg~original

I, Robot:
140350ca-6452-424a-a736-72a8f268d81a_zps5a593171.jpg~original