UK
Release date: February 22nd, 2016
Purchase link: Tombstone
Price: £14.99

11216733-3174352385790383.jpg

11216733-1054352387253978.jpg

11216733-1824352387103726.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
They sell what the studio gives them. If it wasn't them, it would be another retailer. But Zavvi doesn't make them, or decide these things. Go tell Disney. Bitching about Zavvi's steelbooks is like telling your local movie theater to stop making bad movies. Makes zero sense.

Rofl ye ok then why just zavvi why not novamedia, best buy, blufans etc lol please they can sell what they plz and if they didn't want to then they wouldn't and if I owned the company I would want some creative say on what I'm selling it is my company my rep as a steel provider after all, make no mistake zavvi had there say and the reason it looks as it does is because its cheap for them to produce means more profit regardless of rep, and if you haven't realised this by now then somethings wrong or you work for them, its all about the money make cheap sell high regardless, unless you have some decency like novamedia, blufans etc. who must to play by these same rules the studios put out, and yet you don't see them releasing crap. :yawn: wakey wakey.

Reactions: ChrisIW
Rofl ye ok then why just zavvi why not novamedia, best buy, blufans etc lol please they can sell what they plz and if they didn't want to then they wouldn't and if I owned the company I would want some creative say on what I'm selling it is my company my rep as a steel provider after all, make no mistake zavvi had there say and the reason it looks as it does is because its cheap for them to produce means more profit regardless of rep, and if you haven't realised this by now then somethings wrong or you work for them, its all about the money make cheap sell high regardless, unless you have some decency like novamedia, blufans etc. who must to play by these same rules the studios put out, and yet you don't see them releasing crap. :yawn: wakey wakey.
Novamedia and Blufans are their own labels. If you look closely at their steelbooks they say NOVA and BLUFANS on the steelbooks. They are independent labels. They obtain rights to make steelbooks.
Zavvi and Best Buy are RETAILERS - Just like Kmart, Walmart, and Target. They don't make steelbooks. They just sell them.

Reactions: paulboland
In reply to the strange post above:-
a) No company is going to specify "We want a crappy product which is cheap and by the way don't forget to give us lousy artwork and stick an old disc inside while your at it . . . so that we can make a killing". This clearly doesn't make any sense as the product, albeit with a tiny consumer base, has to appeal to as many of these potential buyers as possible (and encourage new buyers to upgrade) and if a new disc is available it would surely be used (as it has been done in other recent examples I could mention).
b) The product is ONLY SOLD by Zavvi (and by other retailers) and NOT designed or created by Zavvi - NONE of these retailers have a say in the final product. It's true that competitions for the design of a much-anticipated steelbook may be instigated by the studio (as in the recent "American Psycho") and design ideas may be elicited from retailers but that is as far as it goes.
c) Any issues with the product design/finish et cetera should be directed at the studios or Scanavo which makes them.

Reactions: C.C. 95
Still they are a company who can decide not to sell this crap yes? there rep is in the toilet for many reasons but agreeing to sell stuff like this is what makes it worse, maybe if zavvi stood up and said hey wait I can't sell this these are the issues then maybe some changes would be made but as long as zavvi blindly go about taking what ever scraps are given to them nothing will change, they can't go on just shovelling crap they don't sell then they're left with stock, are these guys not supposed to be on the pulse of the steelbook market surely they gonna say our customers don't want this we can sell it, this is another reason the steelbook market is just crap now, everything is on steelbook all with cheap crappy designs little to no effort only a cash in oh and the idea of a limited edition has lost all possible meaning now.

Reactions: ChrisIW
We all know something about the characters and the backstory but maybe other facts are less well-known, such as the following :-

- The actual gunfight lasted 30 seconds with about 30 shots fired and it is generally regarded as the most famous shoot-out in the history of the Wild West.

- It took place at about 3pm on Wednesday 26/10/1881 at Tombstone, Arizona (near the Mexican border) and was the result of a longstanding feud between the semi-outlaw group, the Cowboys, and various lawmen - the Cowboys were Ike and Bill Clanton, Billy Claiborne and Tom and Frank McLaury and the lawmen were Virgil, Morgan and Wyatt Earp, Doc Holliday and Johnny Behan. The gunfight did NOT end the feud.

- The gunfight actually took place in Fremont Street and not within or next to the O.K. Corral.
Historical accuracy was never a strong point in most productions and there is a famous line in John Ford's "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance" (1962) that reinforces the point "This is the West, sir - when the legend becomes fact, print the legend" but I'm fine with that as I don't necessarily always want to watch a documentary . . .

- It wasn't until a biography written in 1931 by Stuart Lake entitled "Wyatt Earp: Frontier Marshall" published two years after Earp's death that the event really took hold of the public consciousness and the gunfight then appeared in many shapes and forms from classic Westerns to TV shows. The most famous classic Westerns to feature the gunfight are undoubtedly John Ford's "My Darling Clementine" (1946) and John Sturges's '"Gunfight at the OK Corral" (1957) with "Tombstone" (1993) the best of the modern versions (IMO).
TV spots include an episode of the original "Star Trek" crew entitled "Spectre of the Gun" from Season Three (1968) and an "Alias Smith and Jones" episode from 1972 entitled "Which Way to the OK Corral?" from Season Two.

Anyway, Happy New Year to everyone on here.

We all know something about the characters and the backstory but maybe other facts are less well-known, such as the following :-

- The actual gunfight lasted 30 seconds with about 30 shots fired and it is generally regarded as the most famous shoot-out in the history of the Wild West.

- It took place at about 3pm on Wednesday 26/10/1881 at Tombstone, Arizona (near the Mexican border) and was the result of a longstanding feud between the semi-outlaw group, the Cowboys, and various lawmen - the Cowboys were Ike and Bill Clanton, Billy Claiborne and Tom and Frank McLaury and the lawmen were Virgil, Morgan and Wyatt Earp, Doc Holliday and Johnny Behan. The gunfight did NOT end the feud.

- The gunfight actually took place in Fremont Street and not within or next to the O.K. Corral.
Historical accuracy was never a strong point in most productions and there is a famous line in John Ford's "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance" (1962) that reinforces the point "This is the West, sir - when the legend becomes fact, print the legend" but I'm fine with that as I don't necessarily always want to watch a documentary . . .

- It wasn't until a biography written in 1931 by Stuart Lake entitled "Wyatt Earp: Frontier Marshall" published two years after Earp's death that the event really took hold of the public consciousness and the gunfight then appeared in many shapes and forms from classic Westerns to TV shows. The most famous classic Westerns to feature the gunfight are undoubtedly John Ford's "My Darling Clementine" (1946) and John Sturges's '"Gunfight at the OK Corral" (1957) with "Tombstone" (1993) the best of the modern versions (IMO).
TV spots include an episode of the original "Star Trek" crew entitled "Spectre of the Gun" from Season Three (1968) and an "Alias Smith and Jones" episode from 1972 entitled "Which Way to the OK Corral?" from Season Two.

Anyway, Happy New Year to everyone on here.
qox1yTvzRLFUk.gif

I really like the artwork, it's simple but stylish and really represents the movie. I'm usually one for the original one sheet artwork too, but I do like this design I'm this case as the aged parchment look never worked well (Imo) with photography, since photos weren't so common back then.

If it's gloss or satin finish with debossing then this could be truly stunning.

Reactions: BluSteel2012
Some will be happy with the artwork chosen for this, front and back, but count me out of that group.

As far as I'm concerned it should have been the "Wanted - Every town has a story. Tombstone has a legend" movie poster OR the U.S. DVD digipack Director's Cut (Vista Series) artwork kindly posted previously by C.C.95.

This artwork is a complete mess IMO and there's no good reason I can see to have the title in the middle cutting through said artwork particularly as there's plenty of room to the north and to the south and the guns should be intact and complete.
No amount of glossing or 'bossing can save this sub-standard effort.

Photography had been around for decades before the era in which the film is set but it's true that it wasn't until the 1884 (around the time of the film) that George Eastman developed dry gel on paper, or film, to replace the photographic plate so that a photographer no longer needed to carry around boxes of plates and toxic chemicals and this was closely followed in 1888 by his Kodak "You press the button, we do the rest" camera although it wasn't until 1901 with the Kodak Brownie that photography became much more mass market.

N.B. Off-topic I know but anyone with an interest in the "Essential Jacques Tati" 6 BD Collection could do worse than check out this set at its lowest price since release of GBP 23.97 (Amazon).

EDIT 5/1/16: Not forgetting the fab "Otto Preminger Film Noir Limited Edition *3 BD Collection" @GBP 22.99 - lowest price in its history (Amazon) - and now sold out everywhere else except for HMV where it's priced @GBP 44.99.
*(1) "Fallen Angel" 1945 (2) "Whirlpool" 1949 and (3) "Where the Sidewalk Ends" 1950 - three cracking films @GBP 7.50 a pop.

EDIT 6/1: The wonderful Alan Ladd Western "Shane" (1953) 2 BDs (1 film, 3 cuts) @GBP 10.25 Eureka "Masters of Cinema" No. 123 in the collection - Limited Edition of 2,000 (Amazon) - lowest price in its short history. I'll still be getting this one despite owning the reasonably priced U.S. Region Free edition because that one only has the one cut at 4:3 ratio.
. . . and unlike Kevin Spacey, when he says to Samuel L. Jackson in "The Negotiator" that Shane is slumped over as if shot in the closing scene as he rides off into the distance with the young Brandon De Wilde calling out "Shane, Shane come back", I've looked but can't make it out. . . and this riding off into the distance/sunset greatly influenced more recent Westerns - even the spaghetti variety - such as "Clint Eastwood's "High Plains Drifter" (1973).

On the "Tombstone" theme -
"Gunfight at the OK Corral" reasonably priced U.S. Region Free edition is worth buying
"My Darling Clementine" available in the Arrow Academy Collection in a great package but expensive at 20 quid (although now available in the Arrow sale for GBP 12.99 until Midday GMT on the 18th Jan.) and the U.S Criterion at slightly more but is Region "A" locked.

As this appears to be the ONLY steelbook for "Tombstone" anywhere on the planet it will be a definite purchase for me . . . though not at the current pre-order price.
Is this going to be the only U.K."Tombstone" steelbook EVER ? Who knows . . . and despite the many steelbook re-releases of other films posted elsewhere I feel that it's a distinct possibility.in this case.
The one good thing about buying this is that you will have a steel case in which to put either a director's cut or a re-mastered in 4K release . . . maybe in 2018 to coincide with the film's Silver Jubilee ?
I already have the film to watch in the 2010 Amaray and correct me if I'm wrong that contains the exact same disc that will be inside this steel.
BTW the AMARAY is not widely available any more and the only primary sellers are Base and Amazon with prices of GBP 6.69 and GBP 7.57 respectively. On the secondary market the best price is easily GBP 7.98 with "8 sold 2 available" from one seller there.
If I didn't have the film already and if it was a toss up between this and "Dead in Tombstone" / "A Walk Among the Tombstones" it would be this as it's as GOOD film as opposed to a poor or average one.

EDIT 4-2-16:
RE: Eureka Masters of Cinema SHANE (limited Edition of 2,000)
- Deleted at Eureka
- Amazon "awaiting stock" (don't hold your breath)
- Only available from Zavvi now for GBP 12.99 - for anyone that didn't pick it up for GBP 10.25 from Amazon in January - and if you use the link floating around here on HDN and the ZAVWEL54 code it can be picked up for GBP 11.69.
For how much longer this 1950's Western gem will be available I wouldn't like to hazard a guess . . .

Last edited:
Reactions: C.C. 95
Nobody knows yet . . . that is, apart from the good folk at Zavvi :)

EDIT 13/1/16:
According to another site this will be live to pre-order from around 6PM on SUNDAY 17th JAN.
The "other site" is Steelbookpro where from yesterday it was listed thus:-
"Le 12 janvier 2016: les precommandes pour le steelbook Zavvi de TOMBSTONE seront ouvertes dimanche 17 th janvier vers 19H (sortie 22 fevrier 2016)"

Last edited:
Reactions: The Boydster
Some will be happy with the artwork chosen for this, front and back, but count me out of that group.

As far as I'm concerned it should have been the "Wanted - Every town has a story. Tombstone has a legend" movie poster OR the U.S. DVD digipack Director's Cut (Vista Series) artwork kindly posted previously by C.C.95.

This artwork is a complete mess IMO and there's no good reason I can see to have the title in the middle cutting through said artwork particularly as there's plenty of room to the north and to the south and the guns should be intact and complete.
No amount of glossing or 'bossing can save this sub-standard effort.

Photography had been around for decades before the era in which the film is set but it's true that it wasn't until the 1884 (around the time of the film) that George Eastman developed dry gel on paper, or film, to replace the photographic plate so that a photographer no longer needed to carry around boxes of plates and toxic chemicals and this was closely followed in 1888 by his Kodak "You press the button, we do the rest" camera although it wasn't until 1901 with the Kodak Brownie that photography became much more mass market.

N.B. Off-topic I know but anyone with an interest in the "Essential Jacques Tati" 6 BD Collection could do worse than check out this set at its lowest price since release of GBP 23.97 (Amazon).

EDIT 5/1/16: Not forgetting the fab "Otto Preminger Film Noir Limited Edition *3 BD Collection" @GBP 22.99 - lowest price in its history (Amazon) - and now sold out everywhere else except for HMV where it's priced @GBP 44.99.
*(1) "Fallen Angel" 1945 (2) "Whirlpool" 1949 and (3) "Where the Sidewalk Ends" 1950 - three cracking films @GBP 7.50 a pop.

EDIT 6/1: The wonderful Alan Ladd Western "Shane" (1953) 2 BDs (1 film, 3 cuts) @GBP 10.25 Eureka "Masters of Cinema" No. 123 in the collection - Limited Edition of 2,000 (Amazon) - lowest price in its short history. I'll still be getting this one despite owning the reasonably priced U.S. Region Free edition because that one only has the one cut at 4:3 ratio.
. . . and unlike Kevin Spacey, when he says to Samuel L. Jackson in "The Negotiator" that Shane is slumped over as if shot in the closing scene as he rides off into the distance with the young Brandon De Wilde calling out "Shane, Shane come back", I've looked but can't make it out. . . and this riding off into the distance/sunset greatly influenced more recent Westerns - even the spaghetti variety - such as "Clint Eastwood's "High Plains Drifter" (1973).

On the "Tombstone" theme -
"Gunfight at the OK Corral" reasonably priced U.S. Region Free edition is worth buying
"My Darling Clementine" available in the Arrow Academy Collection in a great package but expensive at 20 quid (although now available in the Arrow sale for GBP 12.99 until Midday GMT on the 18th Jan.) and the U.S Criterion at slightly more but is Region "A" locked.

As this appears to be the ONLY steelbook for "Tombstone" anywhere on the planet it will be a definite purchase for me . . . though not at the current pre-order price.
Is this going to be the only U.K."Tombstone" steelbook EVER ? Who knows . . . and despite the many steelbook re-releases of other films posted elsewhere I feel that it's a distinct possibility.in this case.
The one good thing about buying this is that you will have a steel case in which to put either a director's cut or a re-mastered in 4K release . . . maybe in 2018 to coincide with the film's Silver Jubilee ?
I already have the film to watch in the 2010 Amaray and correct me if I'm wrong that contains the exact same disc that will be inside this steel.
BTW the AMARAY is not widely available any more and the only primary sellers are Base and Amazon with prices of GBP 6.69 and GBP 7.57 respectively. On the secondary market the best price is easily GBP 7.98 with "8 sold 2 available" from one seller there.
If I didn't have the film already and if it was a toss up between this and "Dead in Tombstone" / "A Walk Among the Tombstones" it would be this as it's as GOOD film as opposed to a poor or average one.
Good points! I said it before- in and of itself, I can deal with the release of steelbook that is not great. But when a "catalog title" gets released, it may be the only one...for a long time or EVER. So, unlike new films, there isn't necessarily another version coming from another company. This may be IT for this movie in steelbook form, which is why it is so lamentable that the art is so weak (especially considering the Vista Series art sitting right there for them to reuse!). If this is, indeed, the final art- hopefully there is a chance of another steelbook in the future in the form of the director's cut, or an anniversary edition.
But, nonetheless, I will be buying it as I have no other option! It IS TOMBSTONE, after all!

Reactions: virkia