"Unofficial" and "Fake" SteelBooks/Scam tip thread

lenochek04

BANNED
Oct 11, 2010
Marbella, Spain.
Hi All, I've renamed this thread, to allow anyone to post "fake" or "suspect" retailer or Ebay listings, so anyone can discuss/be warned. It allows traders to protect each other/discuss various listings that may or may not be authentic, officially supported Steelbook releases. -Digitalbabe.

From Lenocheck:
If any of you guys out there noticed a signed copy of Machete just sold on Ebay for over 200 dollars.
Was this an official steelbook or was this a FAKE ????
Would be interesting to read some of your opinions......as I thought it wasnt released yet.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....10679&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_1566wt_1141

Attachments

• scam1.jpeg
    scam1.jpeg
    16.6 KB · Views: 420
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi All, I've renamed the thread so that folks can post any questions regarding "fake" or "unofficial" Steelbooks in this thread, before purchasing. Unfortunately collectors are targeted with "home made" or "fake" Steelbooks and other collectibles, and this is a good opportunity for members to watch out for each other, to prevent unwanted purchases, especially for new collectors. We've seen a number of these listings appear on Ebay, where sellers claim to be selling a Steelbook with covers never seen, and art, that is suspect-beware.

Last edited:
Bump for new members and everyone-if you see "suspicious" listings on Ebay, or elsewhere, please report them, so we can determine if they are "fake", or "home made". Sometimes, depending how new you are to collecting, you may not realize you are not purchasing an official release. This is just one way we can help protect each other:)

Hmmmm, I've never seen this Ironpack before, and I am not sure the little BD symbol at the top is authentic. Anyone else?

DB

Looks fake to me.

The only one I've seen is the dvd steelbook with a black background instead of the gold.

But I heard that this Jambo guy has legit steelbooks.
Must be some hidden steelbook/ironpack manufacturer in Asia or something?

I may be wrong though.

I was wondering the same about that godfather. Looks like a metal pack or something. Or probably a steel tin. I heard from a buyer that did quite a few purchases from him that he's reliable and packages everything nicely.

I was wondering the same about that godfather. Looks like a metal pack or something. Or probably a steel tin. I heard from a buyer that did quite a few purchases from him that he's reliable and packages everything nicely.

yeah he always packs steelbooks nice, never had a problem with him.:scat:

A general tip for new members here, or 1st time buyers of authentic Steelbooks or other items, on online market places:

Unfortunately, either deliberately or accidentally, sellers often use the words "Steelbook", "Metal Pak", "Iron Pack", "Tin", "Metal Slipcase", etc interchangeably. Sometimes this is done to appear in the Ebay searches, and sometimes it's done because the seller doesn't realize what they are selling. And there are "fakes" of many of these types of packages.

As a buyer, just be aware of what you are actually buying so you are not disappointed, as your recourse will be little to none, if you're not armed with proper info.

"Key Word" spamming is a listing violation if used to deliberately deceive buyers, so be cautious when surfing any market place. Some sellers deliberately include words in the title, as certain products are more popular, valuable or sought after by collectors, than others, to lure you to their listing.

Feel free to continue posting links to items that are confusing you here, and someone may be able to help you determine what that product is. Happy Hunting all!:) DB

Last edited:
Reactions: o0 Deuce 0o
yeah a friend of mine was selling the Lion King trilogy steelbook on ebay but he didnt relise it was a fake, im sure some sellers dont relise there fake but alot probably do.EEK!