Purchase link: Wall-E
Retro Zbox & Wall-e bundle
Price: £24.99
Notes: Limited to 3000 copies

The others: Zavvi Exclusive: The Pixar Collection Blu-ray SteelBooks

WALLE.jpg

walle2.jpg walle3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know if such heated bickering is usual in relation to a steelbook and I do know that out of all the UK steelbooks in my collection this is the only one that has provoked any emotion in me beyond the usual like/dislike.

Of course we are all different and there will always be those who prefer the flash to the elegant, the unusual artwork to the iconic classic artwork, the cluttered and disjointed to the beautifully minimalist et cetera.

I don't know about the manufacturing problems with the Blufans steelbook or the number of discs inside but I do know that I like the Blufans front image and I applaud the way it spreads across the back to convey the feeling of space/isolation/loneliness which are central themes for much of the film.
There is nothing boring or inferior about having such a wonderful and magical uncluttered image and no good reason to throw the kitchen sink at the thing as per the Zavvi.
i will sum it up..
you really like the blufans edition for its artworks that spread from the front to the back and can't stand the zavvi front(possibly back) art, no matter its overall look(colors etc) and glossy finish

well, there 's nothing wrong with that obviously, it's your vision*/taste, i just wish those that rather the BF wouldn't denigrate the zavvi one over the blufans one every time they can trying to make those who ather the zavvi edition for one reason or another sound like crazy people with weird thinking/tastes :/

*i get that you like how it reflects the loneliness of wall e, but it's just the begining of the movie, i'm not sure it sums up really well the heart of the movie, i think the zavvi back art captures it better with the love story between the 2characters, but maybe that's just my vision of course

"Let me know if still factory sealed and the situation regarding the slipcase as I believe there are two different slipcases?"
well i had sold the lenti and goodies to a friend of mine for a few euros when i got my lenti edition, so i don't have them anymore sorry..

by the way, if you hated the art, why have you bought this(zavvi ne) steel? :/

this could be true if no one owning both could/would say they preferred the zavvi one(which is supposed for you to be far "worse" than the blufans one)but it can't be, since some like paul own both and say they'll prefer the zavvi one..

there are basically 3important things(most important ones for the steel itself) to a steel:
the type of Finish(shining effect etc or not, glossy or matte finish etc,colors,resolution etc)
the front art choice
the back art choice

most people seem to rather the BF front art, but what about the back..
personally i've always loved and rathered this back art over the BF one

in itself(i know some are thrilled by steelbooks that have front and back maching even though the back "is"/feels a lot empty even for them)i 'm pretty sure most will much more rather the zavvi back over the blufans one with just the sky etc

plus the same can be said to those who have the blufans edition(that they can't criticize what they own)
the finish is less good on the blufans (blufans zero finish at best, zavvi glossy finish) and that's an important point for most of collectors( and by the way for me it has a pretty dull look depending on the light and angle when there's not light on it for instance)
the rest(art) is (at least/best)more or less a matter of /subjectivity..

oh and it's not because i don't have the blufans that i say all these, cause i have it and will sell it ;)

I have neither. i find it hard to criticize the blufans one. the art should come first, the finish is just that- the finishing touch, so blufans zero finish is no big deal when the art is so strong. zavvis has long list of things that are open to criticism. i have criticised the poor composition already, but there are other problems such as clashing front and back art. embossing border which ploughs through the already bad art, adding to the mess. glossing it doesnt make it all ok, it just means its a glossy steel with needless embossing and clashing, poorly composed art.

the zavvi is garish- it screams and shouts at you like it was designed for a child. that design could be on the front of a lunch box. the blufans is considered, understated and has simplicity, its a more mature work.

I have neither. i find it hard to criticize the blufans one. the art should come first, the finish is just that- the finishing touch, so blufans zero finish is no big deal when the art is so strong. zavvis has long list of things that are open to criticism. i have criticised the poor composition already, but there are other problems such as clashing front and back art. embossing border which ploughs through the already bad art, adding to the mess. glossing it doesnt make it all ok, it just means its a glossy steel with needless embossing and clashing, poorly composed art.

the zavvi is garish- it screams and shouts at you like it was designed for a child. that design could be on the front of a lunch box. the blufans is considered, understated and has simplicity, its a more mature work.

some people really rather when the front and back arts are part of a whole, but that's not important for all..
for me if there 's a "clash" it 's no big deal at all, i take the art in itself(front in one side and back on the other one) i LOVE the back art choice, i don't care too much about the fact i don't quite like the front art choice
just like i didn't care about the bf back art i couldn't care less about when i saw its bautifull(to me) front art
i love both bf front art and zavvi back art, the bf one has for itself the abscence of the little writings(don't care about the title) but the better overall look (colors, saturation etc) and(glossy) finish for me make the zavvi one better for me.

for the last pragraph, it's your vision
wall e even though can be enjoyable by dults is firtly an animated movie made for the youngest, so the fact that it'd be "childish" art is not negative(although it feels to me like the majority that you 're only referring to the zavvi front art and not back which is way better or at least nicer to me.. :()

i must aditt though that i'm pretty shocked to see so much love now that people can see it in photos after reading so much bad things about it when the art were revealed.. i guss the Finish is even more important thant i thought for people
(personally i've always loved this back art and didn't like the front)

Last edited:

I find it quite amazing that you have such strong likes and dislikes of things you have not held in your hands.

i don't, it's based on artworks, if i hate them i don't need to have the steel in hands to know that's i'll never end up liking it no matter how good the steel is done(Finish)
on the contrary i can love the steel "on paper"(with juste the mock up) but end up so disappointed by the Finish to the point of selling it(like the wall blufans steel)

photos - the amazing "megabee"

They are all nice, my favorite is this one...

walle1.jpg

walle3.jpg

walle2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
i don't, it's based on artworks, if i hate them i don't need to have the steel in hands to know that's i'll never end up liking it no matter how good the steel is done(Finish)
on the contrary i can love the steel "on paper"(with juste the mock up) but end up so disappointed by the Finish to the point of selling it(like the wall blufans steel)
My post was not directed at you.

Don't understand this obsession with embossing or debossing but appreciate the glossy/matt preferences though for me all that is absolutely as nothing compared to the actual image itself.

It's not so much about the embossing or matte/gloss. I'd have been fine with Blusteel's image if it's SHARPER in resolution and don't look washed out. I personally have no preference for matte/gloss since I like both and matte often produces less annoying side-effect (ie. scratching).

But washed out image is an absolute nope for me no matter how beautiful the image is.

Reactions: Marina Blue
What kind of finish does the BB/FS version have?
I don't know what you call it. I got one for my son and it was the common finish on steelbooks back then, whether BestBuy, HMV, and Play at the time. A "neutral- like" finish, not like some of these current flat matte or wet glossy finishes. Finishes were not a big issue back then, they all looked good to me. Quality control was better then, also. His looked exactly like the unsealed one in "megebee's" photo. Someone else might know what you would call it.

Last edited:
Reactions: StifflersDad
It's not so much about the embossing or matte/gloss. I'd have been fine with Blusteel's image if it's SHARPER in resolution and don't look washed out. I personally have no preference for matte/gloss since I like both and matte often produces less annoying side-effect (ie. scratching).

But washed out image is an absolute nope for me no matter how beautiful the image is.
That is what's described as a washed-out image (as seen in photo kindly sent in by Marina Blue/"ricster" ?)
Looks pretty damn good to me!

i will sum it up..
you really like the blufans edition for its artworks that spread from the front to the back and can't stand the zavvi front(possibly back) art, no matter its overall look(colors etc) and glossy finish

well, there 's nothing wrong with that obviously, it's your vision*/taste, i just wish those that rather the BF wouldn't denigrate the zavvi one over the blufans one every time they can trying to make those who ather the zavvi edition for one reason or another sound like crazy people with weird thinking/tastes :/

*i get that you like how it reflects the loneliness of wall e, but it's just the begining of the movie, i'm not sure it sums up really well the heart of the movie, i think the zavvi back art captures it better with the love story between the 2characters, but maybe that's just my vision of course

"Let me know if still factory sealed and the situation regarding the slipcase as I believe there are two different slipcases?"
well i had sold the lenti and goodies to a friend of mine for a few euros when i got my lenti edition, so i don't have them anymore sorry..

by the way, if you hated the art, why have you bought this(zavvi ne) steel? :/
I'm a "completist" and buy all U.K. steels sooner or later and if I don't like the film or the steel maybe my daughter or son will.