Windows 7 7100 RC Out Now - RTM 7600 leaked, Final Oct 22

Jan 29, 2009
Who is testing this sucker out? It's just fricking amazing, though it does crash, but its a BETA, and the best BETA I have ever tested..

SOMEWHERE OVER COLORADO--As I wend my way back to San Francisco, the release candidate of Windows 7 has made its public debut.

View the full gallery
After arriving first on torrent sites and then last week showing up on Microsoft's developer program Web sites, the operating system arrived on the main Microsoft.com late on Monday night. The software was slated to be made publicly available on Tuesday.

The release candidate version, officially build 7100, is expected to be the last major public test of the product before it is finalized. The company will only officially confirm it plans to release Windows 7 before Windows Vista hits its third anniversary of broad availability in January. However, the software maker is widely seen as aiming to finish it soon enough for it to be on PCs that ship during this year's holiday shopping season.

When it hit the MSDN and TechNet sites last week, Microsoft faced a crush of demand and encountered glitches. We'll try to keep track of how things go this time around. Let us know if it works for you. (Add your rating to Download.com)

A Microsoft representative was not immediately available for comment.

So the RC sucks... Its easily the least stable build i've played with. I reinstalled wind7 directly from MS. After installing 2 programs and restaring, I got BSOD... lol.. And my DVD's still sound like a garbled mess. I attached a recording to see if someone else can find the issue...

Download here..

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=98f5bcf4bfb7287208f8df73f2072ed6e04e75f6e8ebb871

by far the most stable. you're crazy :p ;)

but there's a new build, 7127 if you wanna try something newer

right now all I can use is firefox.. everything is frozen... explorer.exe keeps stopping.. its a fresh install... wtf...

i went back to xp it was so bad, though i thought i was fixing it.. im going to try a dvd and see if maybe the card went bad, but i dont think so because music works..

Microsoft let the cat out of the bag early last week by revealing that its forthcoming operating system should be in stores for Christmas '09.

That revelation, it seems, has opened the door for others as Windows enthusiast-and-blogger Paul Thurrot has now added that "you'll be able to get the final version of Windows 7 publicly on October 15, 2009."

That's about as specific as it gets, and Thurrot - working, presumably, from a Microsoft-provided schedule - seems to believe the date is set in stone and suggests that would-be buyers can begin to mark their calendars. There's still no official word from Microsoft, we should add, but Thurrot's Windows 7 insight has a solid track record.

So, with Microsoft's next major release just 150 days away, will you be planning a day-one purchase? Maybe not, according to Dell marketing executive Darrel Ward.

Speaking in an interview, Ward suggests that although demand for the multiple editions of Windows 7 is greater than that of previous Microsoft releases, "the ASPs (average selling price) of the operating systems are higher than they were for Vista and XP".

Suggesting that higher prices in tough economic times could be naive on Microsoft's part, he adds "I can tell you that the licensing tiers at retail are more expensive than they were for Vista".

The news may come as a surprise to customers expecting a low-cost upgrade to the much-maligned Windows Vista, and the supposedly-rising prices will also apply to business users with Windows 7 Professional expected to be more costly than Windows Vista Business.

Microsoft has thus far remained tight-lipped in regards to Windows 7 pricing, but it appears Redmond's flagship operating system won't come cheap.

i wasn't able to install, tells me its missing some drivers or some bs. and even with the drivers on a usb drive, it refuses to use them. so i guess i wait for the next leak. can't even get 7137 installed. meh

well... it IS windows...

:D

Sorry to say, but Windows is better than Mac OSX. Why? Because it has to run on every machine its thrown on where OSX only has to work on apple's hardware. It's 10x easier to get an operating system to work on your own hardware than it is just anything its thrown at.

Game.Set.Match.

i got it to install by mounting the iso on a virtual drive, but i wasn't able to do a clean install, so its not as stellar as i had hoped. but whatever. i've used almost every build up till now, not going to stop now. i don't really notice any diffs tho

i got it to install by mounting the iso on a virtual drive, but i wasn't able to do a clean install, so its not as stellar as i had hoped. but whatever. i've used almost every build up till now, not going to stop now. i don't really notice any diffs tho

diffs to 7100 or 7127?

diffs to 7100 or 7127?

7100 to 7137. from what i've read over the net its probably bug fixes, no real big changes.

nothing is broken anyways, so i can only assume its better than 7100. some people are saying its snappier, but i don't notice that one yet

I'll probably install in an hour or so.. see If i can finally go back to it or not..

Edit: installing now...

Last edited: