Windows 7 7100 RC Out Now - RTM 7600 leaked, Final Oct 22

Jan 29, 2009
Who is testing this sucker out? It's just fricking amazing, though it does crash, but its a BETA, and the best BETA I have ever tested..

7100 to 7137. from what i've read over the net its probably bug fixes, no real big changes.

nothing is broken anyways, so i can only assume its better than 7100. some people are saying its snappier, but i don't notice that one yet

I downloaded 7137 at home and installed it here at work and I haven't seen any problems yet.

Sorry to say, but Windows is better than Mac OSX. Why? Because it has to run on every machine its thrown on where OSX only has to work on apple's hardware. It's 10x easier to get an operating system to work on your own hardware than it is just anything its thrown at.

Game.Set.Match.

:confused:

Interesting how you chose an OS to slam on as if I was defending one over the other. Do you start all your debates this way?

Besides, if we wanted to get antagonistic we could start with Linux being profoundly more intriguing, efficient, and stable than you mere Mortals' Windows or MacOSX's...

Last edited:
:confused:

Interesting how you chose an OS to slam on as if I was defending one over the other. Do you start all your debates this way?

Besides, if we wanted to get antagonistic we could start with Linux being profoundly more intriguing, efficient, and stable than you mere Mortals' Windows or MacOSX's...

Just wanted to stop the windows bashing before it began, this isn't a bashing thread..

Anyways xtop, same DVD problem... back to XP it is..

It's a Date: Windows 7 to Arrive on October 22
by Paul Thurrott

Microsoft revealed that it will deliver Windows 7 to customers on October 22, 2009, marking the conclusion of one of the most trouble-free Windows development cycles in the company's history. The company will also deliver Windows Server 2008 R2, the server-side stable mate of Windows 7, on the same date.

"We're confident of where we are in the development cycle and that it is ready to be shared with customers and partners," Microsoft Corporate Vice President Steve Guggenheimer said during a keynote address at Computex 2009 in Tapei. "We've received great feedback from our partners who are looking forward to offering Windows 7 to their customers in time for the holidays."

The October 22 date is what Microsoft calls General Availability (GA). This is when finished retail versions of the product will appear on new PCs and in retail boxes for the first time. But Windows 7 will be completed well before that: Microsoft also noted that it will complete development of Windows 7 (and Server 2008 R2) in the second half of July. This is the so-called Release To Manufacturing (RTM) milestone. At RTM, the code for Windows 7 is delivered to PC makers so that they can begin prepping their Windows 7-based products.

A number of details still need to be resolved. Microsoft has yet to announce pricing or licensing for Windows 7, and although the company has said that it will again offer free upgrades to anyone who purchases a new PC before the Windows 7 release, it has yet to specify details of that plan either. Generally speaking, those who purchase a Windows Vista-based PC after a certain date will qualify for a free copy of Windows 7.

I found the issue. It lies in WMP12.. DVD plays find in Windows Media Center.. I found a huge huge BUG.

must be your dvd player, i'm watching a dvd with no problems right now

try updating its firmware. besides..being a little dramatic aren't we? huge huge bug? :p

must be your dvd player, i'm watching a dvd with no problems right now

try updating its firmware. besides..being a little dramatic aren't we? huge huge bug? :p

Why do I need to update the DVD firmware if it works fine in Media Center is uses the same thing.

After I complained alot of people have come up and say they get the same issues.

SAN FRANCISCO (Dow Jones)--Microsoft Corp. (MSFT) said it would slash prices on the main consumer version of Windows 7, the new version of its operating system, and will defer up to $300 million of revenue this quarter due to a program designed to help consumers upgrade.

The world's largest software company is under pressure to encourage customers to move rapidly to Windows 7, following a poor critical reception to its predecessor, Windows Vista, at a time of a challenging economy. Windows generates about 30% of the company's $60 billion in annual revenues.

Using a similar approach to one adopted in the run-up to Windows Vista's arrival, consumers and small businesses that buy new computers with Windows between Friday and Windows 7's Oct. 22 release will get a free copy of the new operating system when it becomes available.

The program doesn't include European countries where, due to antitrust challenges, Microsoft has decided to decouple its Internet Explorer browser from its operating system.

Accounting rules require such a transaction to result in some revenue being deferred during the program, which will end Jan. 31. 2010.

The deferred revenue projections Microsoft provided probably aren't a reliable indicator of Windows 7 demand, as they account for a small portion of total expected sales.

Redmond, Wash.-based Microsoft said during an investor conference call Thursday that it is required to recognize sales under the upgrade program as two distinct products; a sale of Vista and a sale of Windows 7. Revenue recognition of products shipped to original equipment manufacturers: PC builders who bundle Windows with their products, can occur when the product is shipped to them. Revenue recognition for sales to consumers can't occur until consumers take delivery.

Microsoft expects most of the revenue deferred in the fourth quarter of fiscal 2009, which ends June 30., 2009, to be recognized by the second quarter of fiscal 2010.

Microsoft also said it's cutting the retail cost of its most popular Windows product, the Home Premium upgrade version, by around 10% in the U.S, though most other versions of the product are priced comparably with the most recent retail prices for Windows Vista.

When full copies of Windows 7 go on sale in October, Microsoft plans to charge $119 for Home Premium, $199 for Professional and $219 for Ultimate.

From Friday, Microsoft will also allow customers in the U.S., Canada and Japan to buy upgrade copies of Windows 7 Home Premium for a discounted price.

Credit Suisse analysts said in a research report last week they expect Microsoft to defer nearly $1.5 billion of revenue from the first quarter of fiscal 2010, starting July 1, to the one that begins Oct. 1. Thomas Weisel Partners, in a research note Thursday, said it believed the impact in the quarter would be "upwards of $1 billion.

It's difficult to extrapolate what the deferred revenue figures suggest about overall demand for Windows 7. Deferred revenue projections provided by the company largely reflect retail sales, a relatively small portion of total Windows sales. Microsoft doesn't disclose what percentage of Windows revenue comes from retail, but analysts say sales through original equipment manufacturers are the overwhelming majority.

One analyst said getting Windows 7 into the hands of consumers as smoothly as possible through retail would help fuel demand in the OEM channel.

Microsoft shares were recently up 27 cents, or 1.2%, at $23.75.