Windows 7 7100 RC Out Now - RTM 7600 leaked, Final Oct 22

Jan 29, 2009
Who is testing this sucker out? It's just fricking amazing, though it does crash, but its a BETA, and the best BETA I have ever tested..

I am sure they will package it with pcs by then.

Good, I need a new one with 6gb of ram upgradeable to 8gb, 320-500gb hard drive, blu-ray, 15.4", dual core 2.0ghz AMD Z72, HP.

That's what i'm aiming for. As the one I have now is clunky as best, and would be a good computer for the family.

Good, I need a new one with 6gb of ram upgradeable to 8gb, 320-500gb hard drive, blu-ray, 15.4", dual core 2.0ghz AMD Z72, HP.

That's what i'm aiming for. As the one I have now is clunky as best, and would be a good computer for the family.

laptop? ew.
amd? ew

looks like i should have it downloaded and installed by 3 est. i'll let you guys know how it goes. but from what i've read its just a faster more stable version. which is fine by me! :D

lame..i'm connected to lots of seeds, and not getting any traffic off them. so its taking longer than expected :(

Last edited:
There certainly has been a lot of discussion about Windows 7 in the last few weeks. A lot of folks want to know when they can get their hands on the official RC, when we are going to RTM, and what I had for breakfast.

I’m pleased to share that the RC is on track for April 30th for download by MSDN and TechNet subscribers. Broader, public availability will begin on May 5th.

On behalf of everyone here, I would to thank all of our beta testers for helping us get to this point. You guys have been busy. At the peak of the feedback cycle, we were receiving a “Send Feedback” report every 15 seconds for an entire week. Since then, the engineering team has been busy analyzing the feedback, fixing bugs, and working hard to improve the overall experience. Many of your suggestions helped us refine the new and improved taskbar, the behavior of Aero Peek, Touch, Windows Media Player, and much more. In case you have missed the previous E7 blog entry outlining some of these changes in detail, you can read about them here and here.

Be sure to check back with us next week… And by the way, I had eggs for breakfast :)

Microsoft to Deliver Windows 7 RC This Week
by Paul Thurrott

Last week, Microsoft finalized the Release Candidate (RC) milestone build for its upcoming Windows 7 desktop OS and will deliver the code to testers this week. The Windows 7 RC—build 7100—follows in the footsteps of the January release of the Windows 7 beta and is now considered "feature-complete" by the software giant.

"The Windows 7 Release Candidate is on track for download by MSDN and TechNet subscribers on April 30th," a Microsoft statement reads. "Broader public availability will begin on May 5th." Microsoft had previously announced that the Windows 7 RC would be available publicly available to anyone interested in testing it, and that it would remain available through the end of June.

The Windows 7 RC appears to be a polished, ship-quality product, in keeping with its "release candidate" designation. I've written about the RC extensively on the SuperSite for Windows, where you'll find an exhaustive review, numerous screenshot galleries, and several other articles about this pre-release milestone.

In related news, Rafael Rivera of WithinWindows and I exclusively revealed on Friday that Microsoft is delivering a free tool called Windows XP Mode to purchasers of Windows 7 Professional, Enterprise, and Ultimate that allows them to run XP applications in a virtualized environment side-by-side with native Windows 7 applications. XP Mode will largely erase any compatibility concerns that small and midsized businesses (SMBs) might have had between Windows 7 and custom or legacy applications. You can read more about XP Mode on the SuperSite for Windows, as well. Please check out our blog post revealing the feature on the SuperSite Blog.

Looking ahead, Microsoft still claims it's on track to deliver the final version of Windows 7 by the beginning of 2010. But with the product already in near-final state, it's pretty clear that the company will be able to ship Windows 7 in time for the holiday selling season, if not the back-to-school selling season. That is, I expect Microsoft to finalize Windows 7 sometime by August at the latest and begin selling it to customers shortly thereafter.

Finally, Microsoft Admits to 2009 Delivery for Windows 7
by Paul Thurrott

It's been possibly the worst-kept secret in the history of Microsoft. But now, finally, the software giant is admitting what we've known all along: It will deliver Windows 7 in 2009, not 2010 (as it has long claimed), and it will do so in time for the 2009 holiday season.

"A holiday release is accomplishable," Microsoft Senior Vice President Bill Veghte said Monday. It is the first public statement from a Microsoft executive that contradicts long-standing company policy to promise only that it would deliver Windows 7 roughly three years after its predecessor, Windows Vista. That OS shipped to the public in January 2007, so Vegas odds-makers have been targeting January 2010 as the expected release date.

Before all this happens, of course, Microsoft must deliver its final pre-release milestone—the Windows 7 release candidate (RC)—to testers, developers, and others interested in providing last-minute feedback. According to Microsoft, the RC build, which was completed last week, is feature-complete and representative of the final product.

Again, my expectation is that Microsoft will finalize Windows 7 in late July or August and begin selling it to customers in September.

Microsoft Providing XP Compatibility with Windows 7 By Paul Thurrott

By Paul Thurrott
Over the past year, as I've learned more about Microsoft's enterprise-oriented virtualization solutions--especially Microsoft Desktop Optimization Pack (MDOP) tools such as App-V (Application Virtualization) and, now, MED-V (Microsoft Enterprise Desktop Virtualization)--I've become convinced that the technologies they employ could form the basis of the future of Microsoft's legacy application compatibility efforts. After all, why bother tying down new Windows versions with legacy deadwood when you can seamlessly and effortlessly run older Windows applications inside of a hidden virtualized environment?

To users, these applications simply help them get their job done. They run side-by-side with modern, native Windows applications that are installed locally. To the administrator, these applications are highly manageable and can be deployed just where needed. Clearly, these tools are a hint, a pointer, of what's to come.

That future became clearer last week when my "Windows 7 Secrets" co-author Rafael Rivera and I revealed that Microsoft is indeed building App-V- and MED-V-based technologies into Windows 7. (You can see our blog post about this event at the URL below.)

Dubbed Windows XP Mode (it was originally called Virtual Windows XP), this feature will ship separately from the core OS for antitrust reasons and will be made available for free to customers of Windows 7 Professional, Enterprise, and Ultimate editions.

If you're familiar with MED-V, you can think of XP Mode as MED-V Lite. But where MED-V is aimed at large companies and requires a volume license agreement with Microsoft, XP Mode is aimed at small and medium businesses that skipped over Windows Vista because that OS wasn't compatible with the legacy or custom applications they're still running on Windows XP. (There are other reasons why customers have skipped over Vista, of course, and Microsoft addresses those concerns—such as performance--elsewhere in Windows 7.