Withnail and I (Limited Edition Personalized Packaging) (Arrow Store Video) (Arrow Exclusive)[UK]

Jan 25, 2012
Piraeus, Greece
design_1.jpg
Release date: 20/10/2014
Price: £49.99
Link:http://arrowvideo.com/withnailandi/#Top

LIMITED EDITION PERSONALISED PACKAGING. ONLY 500 EACH OF FOUR DESIGNS.
The Product
Newly restored in 2K resolution, this special release includes new and classic archive interviews, a 200-page coffee table book with rarely seen behind-the-scenes images, various articles on the film from critics and those who made it as well as personalised packaging for a truly unique edition. Choose your packaging below!

Attachments

• design_2.jpg
    design_2.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 286
  • design_3.jpg
    design_3.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 296
  • design_4.jpg
    design_4.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 306
None of which explains how there can be 4000 copies of an "Exclusive limited edition hardback book packaging (2,000 copies) containing new writing on the films, reprints of key articles on WITHNAIL and I, deleted scenes and more across 200 pages, illustrated with original production stills"
Its not the book that is limited to 2000
Its the type of packaging both are different
hardback book packaging
There are 2 box sets
Its explained on the arrow facebook site

1)Exclusive personalised Box Sets (Each box set limited to 500 per artwork choice total =2000) only available by ordering from Arrow Video using the link http://arrowvideo.com/withnailandi/#Top
2)Non exclusive Box set limited to 2000 (this is not personalised and you cant choose what artwork you want ) from Amazon/Zavvi

This is from Arrow Video Facebook Website
Sorry to see there has been some confusion. To confirm, there will be 2 different versions of this release:

Version 1: A run of 4 x 500 Numbered and Personalised copies (choose your favourite of four artworks as well as a name to be featured on the back and one of fifteen favourite quotes for a truly unique and personal edition!) http://arrowvideo.com/withnailandi/#Top

Version 2: A run of 2000 copies that will feature the classic poster artwork and no personalisation (eg. No name/choice of quote) and this will be available from selected retailers and is already live on amazon here: http://amzn.to/1pHenHA

It will be the same box (and book) but you won't have the choice of 4 artworks and it won't have your name or choice of quote on the back..

Last edited:
None of which explains how there can be 4000 copies of an "Exclusive limited edition hardback book packaging (2,000 copies) containing new writing on the films, reprints of key articles on WITHNAIL and I, deleted scenes and more across 200 pages, illustrated with original production stills"

What is says is there are 4 different versions available from Arrow of 500 each, (which include the book, and are customized) .

Then it says there are a further 2,000 box sets of version 1 sold via retailers which are not personalized but also include the book.

I don't actually see anything where it states there are just 2,000 copies of the book, unless I'm reading it differently.

They've done nothing to reduce the confusion.

So is it a book packaged inside "hardback book packaging" instead of a box? Or a 200 page digibook that incorporates the discs?
I don't see how they can call it a "coffee table book" when that's generally accepted to mean an oversized book, not something that appears to be 15-20 cm square at most.

For a film that I got the steelbook for £4.99, it's ridiculously priced
Its a new version remastered with lots of extras and also includes he film How to Get Ahead in Advertising
The StudioCanal Steelbook has a inferior transfer with no extras
StudioCanal release Picture Quality was not great at all

Arrow Video New 2K restoration
Disc 1 Blu-ray WITHNAIL and I
Disc 2 Blu-ray How to Get Ahead in Advertising
Disc 3 DVD WITHNAIL and I
Disc 4 DVD How to Get Ahead in Advertising

• New 2K restoration of WITHNAIL and I from the original camera negative, supervised and approved by director of photography Peter Hannan
    • Bruce Robinson’s follow-up feature, How to Get Ahead in Advertising, newly transferred from original film elements and approved by director of photography Peter Hannan
    • High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) and Standard Definition DVD Presentation of both films
    • Original uncompressed mono 1.0 PCM audio for both films
    • Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing
    • Audio commentary by writer-director Bruce Robinson
    • Audio commentary by critic and writer Kevin Jackson, author of the BFI Modern Classic on WITHNAIL and I
    • All four original ‘Withnail Weekend’ documentaries, first screened on Channel 4 in 1999, including The Peculiar Memories of Bruce Robinson, which looks at the director’s career, Withnail & Us, which focuses on the film’s making, and two shorter documentaries, I Demand to Have Some Booze and Withnail on the Pier
    • Newly filmed interviews with key members of WITHNAIL and I’s behind-the-scenes team
    • Theatrical trailers for both films
    • Exclusive limited edition hardback book packaging (2,000 copies) containing new writing on the films, reprints of key articles onWITHNAIL and I, deleted scenes and more across 200 pages, illustrated with original production stills
    • More to be announced!

Last edited:
I really want this, but don't want my name on the box. I don't get what's appealing about having your name printed onto something you didn't contribute to. *shrugs*

I think designs 1 and 2 are the way to go. The other two are nice, but they ain't no Ralph Steadman.

They've done nothing to reduce the confusion.

So is it a book packaged inside "hardback book packaging" instead of a box? Or a 200 page digibook that incorporates the discs?
I don't see how they can call it a "coffee table book" when that's generally accepted to mean an oversized book, not something that appears to be 15-20 cm square at most.

Maybe it is going to be in one of those oversize boxes like Snow White and the Huntsman collector's set. In which case it may well be a 'coffee table book'.
I don't see it being a digibook, or on a disc, or they would surely have said so; although the actual phrasing is on the misleading side.

Personally, I'm more interested in knowing if the restoration is actually the same one used in the uncut 108 minute DVD version - also supervised by Peter Hannan. Catalogue number: ABD4006

And is the numbering of the new box set sequential - i.e. If there are 200 left will I get the next one = 301?

Would also be interested in knowing if there was proper restoration to How to Get Ahead - and why the hell doesn't it qualify for it's own release - including all the outtakes etc. ?

Despite the way Arrow couch it, How to Get Ahead in Advertising was never intended as, nor is it a 'follow up' to Withnail!
Just because Richard E Grant's in it, it's not 'Withnail Does ******* Advertising!' - and yes, the swearing is appropriate - ask anyone who's watched the films :)

Last edited:
I really want this, but don't want my name on the box. I don't get what's appealing about having your name printed onto something you didn't contribute to. *shrugs*

I think designs 1 and 2 are the way to go. The other two are nice, but they ain't no Ralph Steadman.

I'm not getting this myself but I think it's great that you can have your name printed on this. It makes it unique IMO. It might make it a little tricky if you ever do want to sell it though! Lol.

Ordered: got exactly the one I wanted in the end . . .

Had to wait for it but got:
Design 2: Which matches the original 3 disc DVD Steelbook (which I've got).
Quote 2: "We are indeed drifting into the arena of the unwell" - which perfectly matches the Ralph Steadman back art.

and Number 69 - The year Withnail is set in.

Happy Bunny :)

Last edited:
Reactions: paulboland and vurt
Arrow Video announced an update on their facebook web page

***Withnail and I Update - Important pre-order info***
We have reduced our quantity of the limited edition because we can only print as many as we take orders for by the 15th September, so this set is more limited by time than number. So the orders we have received as of the 15th of September will be how many each of the four options is limited by. For instance, if orders stopped now, Option 3 would be limited to 83 copies and Option 2 limited to 89 and so on.

We decided to bring the numbers down to 250 for each as we didn’t want there to be a wild difference between each version, therefore one might seem more or less limited than another.

If you are still planning to pick up a copy of the personalised boxset head over to withnailfilm.com and make sure to place your pre-order before September 15th (or whilst stocks remain).

Note Option 1 was limited to 250 and is now sold out

Last edited:
Just thought I'd share this.
What I believe to be one of the funniest films known to man.

Ordered mine. :)
Not sure you're allowed to link here so simply search Withnail and I and Arrow Video and you should find it.

productPack_2.jpg

I'm surprised they're doing this, the Steelbook didn't exactly sell very well, so they've gone for a very niche audience. Don't get me wrong, I like it, it's just a bit strange to me.

Pre-orders for our personalised Withnail and I sets end TONIGHT!
If you are planning to get a copy make sure to head over to the website before the end of the day! http://withnailfilm.com/

FULL_7.jpg
FULL_1.jpg

FULL_8.jpg

FULL_9.jpg

Design 1
SOLD OUT
option11.jpg

FULL_2.jpg

Design 2
100 Left Available to Order

option21.jpg

FULL_4.jpg

Design 3
142 Left Available to Order

option31.jpg

FULL_5.jpg

Design 4
112 Left Available to order

option41.jpg

FULL_6.jpg

Hi Guys,

I have some updates from the lovely and very helpful Louise at Arrow.

How to Get Ahead in Advertising will be exclusively restored for this Arrow release.

This in itself is great news, more details on the restoration of both films at: http://bit.ly/VVjzLu (link provided by Arrow).

Regarding the book, of which there has been some disparaging talk, and questions in the house.

It has been confirmed that the book WILL be a coffee-table sized hardback book of 200 pages.

More about it at: http://arrowvideodeck.blogspot.co.uk/2014/09/withnail-i-preparing-book.html (again, thanks to Louise at Arrow for the links etc.

Cal me crazy, call me sad - but I'm getting really excited about this release :)

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: paulboland