Premium Supporter
Oct 22, 2012
Release date: November 7, 2016
Purchase link: HMV
Price: £21.99

1.jpg

full

Last edited by a moderator:
4K films downscaled to 1080p (1920 x 1080) for the BD - yes, possibly loads, with some already out there including GODZILLA, AFTER EARTH, ELYSIUM, CAPTAIN PHILLIPS, CHAPPIE, BAD BOYS II, GHOSTBUSTERS II, SPARTACUS, LAWRENCE OF ARABIA and others.

Hasn't escaped my attention too that UHD 4K (3840 x 2160) mastered films that are coming out now are NOT coming out in steelbooks . . . and when / if they do I'd expect the pricing to be in the GBP 35 ballpark.

"Who’s making Ultra HD Blu-ray discs, when will we see them, and how much will they cost?
As of April 11, 2016 you can officially buy 12 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray titles from online and high-street stores. Among the launch titles are Kingsman, The Lego Movie, Life of Pi, and Mad Max: Fury Road. You can pick these movies up for between £20 and £25 and more titles are expected very soon.

One studio which has made clear its intentions in the UHD Blu-ray market is Universal Pictures Home Entertainment. The company has revealed it will release a raft of 4K movies before the end of 2016. Some of the titles slated for release include Jason Bourne, The Huntsman: Winter’s War, Warcraft, Everest, Lucy, and Lone Survivor. st when in 2016 these films will be released remains unclear at this point, however.

Back in November, Sony announced that it would be bringing its first 4K Blu-ray discs to market. This first batch of releases wJuill include The Amazing Spider-Man 2, Hancock, Chappie, The Smurfs 2, and Pineapple Express, with more set to follow throughout the year. However, as of April 11, none of these titles appear to be available.

At IFA in September, Twentieth Century Fox committed to releasing films on UHD Blu-ray on the same day as Blu-ray and DVD. It also committed to reissuing the likes of Kingsman: The Secret Service, X-Men: Days of Future Past, Exodus: Gods and Kings, Life of Pi, and Fantastic Four in the new format. All of these films are now available in the UK on UHD Blu-ray as of April 11.

Warner Bros. has also released its first batch of UHD Blu-rays in the form of Mad Max: Fury Road, The Lego Movie, Pan, and San Andreas. By the end of 2016, Warner Bros. is expecting to have over 35 titles available on Ultra HD Blu-ray.

And finally, Paramount has announced its first two UHD Blu-ray titles will be Star Trek and Star Trek Into Darkness.

Of course, there is one big difference between UHD Blu-rays and standard Blu-rays: the new discs are region-free. That's right. The scourge of import-inclined film fans has finally been done away with for the next generation of disc-based entertainment. Wheras previously movies bought in other countries would only play on players from that country, you can now watch a UHD Blu-ray anywhere, no matter where you buy it. The only issues you may encounter would be with subtitles and languages if you're importing from other countries."
TRUSTED REVIEWS - JOE ROBERTS - 25TH APRIL 2016

P.S. Before moaners start complaining about this post being off-topic (and I know who you are :rolleyes:) I should add I forgot to mention that this post is in response to post #58 regarding the availability of fake 4K and real 4K films in plastic and steelbook packaging.

Last edited:
Looks like that will 100% be the art but like @Noodles it might be metallic! :( I really hope it's not

Image is cool though with the characters at the bottom

(Patiently awaiting virkia to compile a list of art work similar to this)

• Thanks
Reactions: Noodles
Also like that new cover - must be looking in the wrong places as can't find the new image anywhere (not even on HMV Online) - as far as I see it only two of the four have been confirmed (CLOVERFIELD and BATMAN V. SUPERMAN) with the other two - ATTACK ON TITAN II "Artwork TBC" and X-MEN: APOCALYPSE "FPO".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/For_position_only
lol

For Christ sake folks . . . that new one is NOT confirmed artwork !
As if to reinforce the point it has a big "FPO" watermark across the image and for anybody unsure about the meaning of FPO they can check out the link in post #68.
If this is the final artwork then there would surely be no "FPO" stamp on it.
American Psycho reference . . . not guilty :p

Even though I suspect it is very much a minority opinion I wouldn't object to something a bit different, unofficial or even "arty" for the front cover such as:-

JOHN HUGHES artwork ------------------------------------------------------------------------or even something fan art in the style of EX_MACHINA which could look dead cool IMO:-
tumblr_o5oxbpWpf71s7pdllo1_500.jpg

Out of the 18 official posters the only 2 I'd consider worthy enough for the front cover are the following:-
The original mock-up from original poster artwork by ART MACHINE------and one from original poster artwork by BLT COMMUNICATIONS
Both: Matte/Satin/Zero finish with selective spot gloss and de-bossed "X-MEN" part of the title
(the second one reminding me of the Play Exclusive FIRST CLASS steelbook from 2011 which is one of only two X-MEN U.K. steelbooks I like with the other being the HMV Exclusive DAYS OF FUTURE PAST from 2014).
-
xmen_apocalypse_ver2.jpg

For Christ sake folks . . . that new one is NOT confirmed artwork !
As if to reinforce the point it has a big "FPO" watermark across the image and for anybody unsure about the meaning of FPO they can check out the link in post #68.
If this is the final artwork then there would surely be no "FPO" stamp on it.
American Psycho reference . . . not guilty :p

Even though I suspect it is very much a minority opinion I wouldn't object to something a bit different, unofficial or even "arty" for the front cover such as:-

JOHN HUGHES artwork ------------------------------------------------------------------------or even something fan art in the style of EX_MACHINA which could look dead cool IMO:-
tumblr_o5oxbpWpf71s7pdllo1_500.jpg

Out of the 18 official posters the only 2 I'd consider worthy enough for the front cover are the following:-
The original mock-up from original poster artwork by ART MACHINE------and one from original poster artwork by BLT COMMUNICATIONS
Both: Matte/Satin/Zero finish with selective spot gloss and de-bossed "X-MEN" part of the title
(the second one reminding me of the Play Exclusive FIRST CLASS steelbook from 2011 which is only one of two X-MEN U.K. steelbooks I like with the other being the HMV Exclusive DAYS OF FUTURE PAST from 2014).
-
xmen_apocalypse_ver2.jpg

With days of future past and amazing spiderman 2 they had a FPO over the artwork when advertising it and it turned out to be the final art, its more than likely the same with this.

Maybe it isn't final, but it seems odd that they'd change it from one mock-up to another, only to possibly go with something completely different in the end. Oh well... time will tell!

• Thanks
Reactions: Flloydo