Drum18

Super Moderator
Premium Supporter
May 3, 2011
Montreal
March 28th, 2015:
FUTURE SHOP CLOSING ALL THE STORES:
To answer few questions:
http://links.newsletter.futureshop....MTM0MTIzOTQyNzg5S0&j=NjQzNzE3NzI2S0&mt=1&rt=0

And the FAQ:
http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/futureshop-bestbuy-faq.aspx?cmp=vrd-bbyquestions

If you want to know if your store is still open:
https://www-ssl.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/stores/store-locator.aspx?icmp=BBYStoreLocator_en_5

For ALL Future Shop release:
https://www.hidefninja.com/community/threads/35674/
futureshop.gif
Please feel free to discuss/chat whatever it could be steelbook related to Future Shop Canada website.

Subjects can be:
- Customer service
- Policy
- Shipping
and others.

Important:
This store only ships to Canada. If you want to buy from this store, you need a contact OR join a specific Group Buy.

Last edited:
Reactions: bluraysteel
Can you acctually lawfully treat employees like this?

I don't want to say much on the subject of the store closures, for fear of reprimand, but yes it was legal for FS to do this.

It really sucks for all of those people at those stores, but frankly (selfishly perhaps) I'm just glad the store I work at wasn't affected. I like my job.

Also, it isn't all doom and gloom guys. Future Shop is just transitioning to a different style of store (anyone who lives in Brockville or North Vancouver knows what these look like). Rather then the "big-box" concept of the stores you guys are used to, these new stores are much smaller and are primarily Futureshop.ca based that will allow FS to go into markets where the current style stores are not feasible.

Can you acctually lawfully treat employees like this?

I don't want to say much on the subject of the store closures, for fear of reprimand, but yes it was legal for FS to do this.
Well, here in Quebec, it isn't. We have the "normes du travail" (labour standards) and the now ex-employees should receive a compensation for this kind of brutal lay off. As per standards, you need a proper advance notice of minimum 8 weeks for a regular 10-100 employees store (or more depending of the size of the store that could go up to 16 weeks).

Having worked in stores before for approx 10 years in HR and I've had to close down stores, I can assure you that I was shocked to see how FS/BB did that! :angry:

P.S.
Glad you were ok FoG! :scat:

Reactions: BluRayJunkie
Also, it isn't all doom and gloom guys. Future Shop is just transitioning to a different style of store (anyone who lives in Brockville or North Vancouver knows what these look like). Rather then the "big-box" concept of the stores you guys are used to, these new stores are much smaller and are primarily Futureshop.ca based that will allow FS to go into markets where the current style stores are not feasible.

I can see why they shut down the Macleod futureshop in Calgary. It was a large store without much business, every time I went there it was practically empty, maybe 5 other customers. The customer service there wasn't quite what I expect. But then again futureshop's CS is getting pretty lacking at most locations.
Instead of opening small locations, why not just keep a run a few normal/large stores. I have a preference to the larger stores, the smaller ones seems kinda run down even though they're newer.

Well, here in Quebec, it isn't. We have the "normes du travail" (labour standards) and the now ex-employees should receive a compensation for this kind of brutal lay off. As per standards, you need a proper advance notice of minimum 8 weeks for a regular 10-100 employees store (or more depending of the size of the store that could go up to 16 weeks).

Having worked in stores before for approx 10 years in HR and I've had to close down stores, I can assure you that I was shocked to see how FS/BB did that! :angry:

P.S.
Glad you were ok FoG! :scat:

I'm sure all employees get proper compensation according to each province's laws.
If you think about it, telling or not telling their employees in advance that the store is closing was a hard decision to make.
If they told everyone in advance, the employees could have either continue working normally or they could have acted out and messed with the store during it's last few days.
Since some manager's gave their employees a few days notice while other's didn't, the decision was probably based on whether the manager trusted their employees or not.

Reactions: BluRayJunkie
Since there are no comments about the quality of the new (excuse the pun) Steelbook released by Future Shop, namely, Django, I thought it was time to record something in this thread.

As seen in the FS Django SB thread on this site, there are quality control issues around this product. Numerous buyers experienced paint chips and unfortunately, an exchange was not always possible as stock appears to have been limited and sold out very quickly. It is disappointing to see an apparent repeat of the quality control issues we experienced with the Hunger Games D12 Steelbook which also suffered from paint chips. Future Shop, I take it you have that name to identify yourself as a forward thinking business. As collectors we appreciate your interest in Steelbooks and in particular your exclusives :scat: but I would ask that you please followup on this issue to avoid a similar situation in yes, the future.

Thank you.

Reactions: aficionado
I'm trying to order from them, but it gets stuck on the Verified by Visa part. It's currently unavailable and because of that I might miss out on a good sale.

What should I do? Can I call FutureShop? Or just cross my fingers and hope it starts working?

Last edited:
I'm trying to order from them, but it gets stuck on the Verified by Visa part. It's currently unavailable and because of that I might miss out on a good sale.

What should I do? Can I call FutureShop? Or just cross my fingers and hope it starts working?

Where are you located? They only ship to Canadian addresses.

My cousin lives in Canada so I was using his shipping address.

It's not that there's a problem with the order, it just won't allow me to do the verify thing to actually complete the order

My cousin lives in Canada so I was using his shipping address.

It's not that there's a problem with the order, it just won't allow me to do the verify thing to actually complete the order

Oh I had that problem a few days ago.. just keep trying it should work eventually.

Called cause I saw their number is open til midnight EST, spoke with a nice Canadian gentlemen to verify that my reorder had been approved successfully.

He said the reorder was good, and wanted to knowing I wanted to first order approved as well. After thinking for 5 seconds I said yes.

So now I have my PotC: On Stranger Tides viva metal boxes on their way. Woot woot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did Future Shop stop releasing (exclusive) steelboks? I don't see any threads about their steels anymore.

Could someone please tell me, do all Future Shop blurays/steelbooks sold in the Province of Quebec have a "bilingual" sticker on the back?
By sticker, you mean the j-card with infos?
If so, YES. It's the law here.

If you're talking about the rating Quebec logo, not all.

Reactions: hvowell