Release date: November 23rd, 2015
Purchase link: Zavvi
Price: £24.99
Notes: 3D - Also contains Zavvi Exclusive bonus disc

1.jpg

TEMP artwork:
11153763-7064313006997996.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
No title = not a Zavvi exclusive "exclusive to me means only one retailer getting it" So there will be other BETTER versions with nice slips coming from Asia. Bye bye 50% of Zavvi's orders hello price reduction a week after release! LOL! :naughty:

This might become the next Zavvi Frozen, so I won't chance it. ;)

Reactions: harry
No title = not a Zavvi exclusive "exclusive to me means only one retailer getting it" So there will be other BETTER versions with nice slips coming from Asia. Bye bye 50% of Zavvi's orders hello price reduction a week after release! LOL! :naughty:
That wont happen anyone who cancels is only making stock available for those who missed out and when available stock becomes available will be ordered very quickly by those who missed out
This will be a sold out release with ease
Its Disney Pixar as of 26th July Box Office is $550.1 million
Its opening weekend gross was the biggest for a Pixar original film

• Informative
Reactions: harry
of course this is going to be released in every region on earth.

of course this zavvi offering is going to be bare bones compared to what comes out of asia.

ive said it before but i'l say it again- we now have a two-tier steelbook market, one where steelbooks have been reduced to amaray-like status where they are printed willy-nilly with absolutely nothing to suggest they are indeed collectable beyond merely being a steel case. and another class, far exceeding the latter where they are housed in full-slips, lenticular slips with art cards, booklets, numbered and all the other bells and whistles.

this zavvi inside out is going to be the inferior and obsolete version. why dont zavvi respond to the market? these bare bones steels just dont cut it anymore. and since they are still priced almost identically to the superior versions, they dont even offer value for money for the lack of extra content.

so this inside out will be little more than a consolation for those who miss out on the inevitable blufans, nova media, kimchi or film arena which will represent the ultimate versions of this film. a solitary steelbook isnt enough anymore

zavvi need to step their game up

of course this zavvi offering is going to be bare bones compared to what comes out of asia.

ive said it before but i'l say it again- we now have a two-tier steelbook market, one where steelbooks have been reduced to amaray-like status where they are printed willy-nilly with absolutely nothing to suggest they are indeed collectable beyond merely being a steel case. and another class, far exceeding the latter where they are housed in full-slips, lenticular slips with art cards, booklets, numbered and all the other bells and whistles.

this zavvi inside out is going to be the inferior and obsolete version. why dont zavvi respond to the market? these bare bones steels just dont cut it anymore. and since they are still priced almost identically to the superior versions, they dont even offer value for money for the lack of extra content.

so this inside out will be little more than a consolation for those who miss out on the inevitable blufans, nova media, kimchi or film arena which will represent the ultimate versions of this film. a solitary steelbook isnt enough anymore

UK Zavvi Steelbook includes a Bonus Disc of extras that the Amaray releases in the UK will not have
Zavvi are a UK company and this is a UK release
The steelbook will be a sold out release
Three-disc set (3 BDs)

The other expected releases from other countries will have no effect on this still ending up as sold out in the UK

Last edited:
this zavvi inside out is going to be the inferior and obsolete version. why dont

Well your not a steelbook collector anymore then, your a trinket collector. The bonus bits offered by the likes of FA and NM are just that Bonuses, zavvi sell just steelbooks for the steelbook collectors, if they started doing bonus trinkety bits there prices would be the same as the likes of FA, and for those of us that only care about the steelbook and not the rest of the junk that comes with it it would suck.

Reactions: DrH and snooloui
Well your not a steelbook collector anymore then, your a trinket collector. The bonus bits offered by the likes of FA and NM are just that Bonuses, zavvi sell just steelbooks for the steelbook collectors, if they started doing bonus trinkety bits there prices would be the same as the likes of FA, and for those of us that only care about the steelbook and not the rest of the junk that comes with it would suck.

no, i think what is happening, steelbooks have become so numerous and produced in such high volume, that they dont have the same gravity to collectors as they used to. scanavo states on their site that 'the steelbook case increases the perceived value to consumers when viewed among other media.' but this was when steelbooks were rare, when you would see a sea of amarays, and one steelbook- the steelbook would stand out. that is where its value arose. the same is not true now, because now, there is only a sea of steelbooks, so they have lost their value.

now collectors see value in steelbooks when they are housed in full slips and come packaged with other extras. this is what makes them stand out in the sea of steelbooks. you can obviously disagree, but the market is talking- most (if not all serious) steelbook collectors are shifting their attention towards these fullslip steelbook packages. these are now the editions that inspire the most attention and are the most sought after.

as i said before, zavvi simply havent caught up with market trend in this respect, and as a result, people 'stoop' to buying these zavvi editions if they cant get their hands on the superior versions being offered elsewhere.

Reactions: BluSteel2012

maybe but this has a bonus disc that other retailers may not have i rather have the Bonus Disc instead of a slip or something.

no, i think what is happening, steelbooks have become so numerous and produced in such high volume, that they dont have the same gravity to collectors as they used to. scanavo states on their site that 'the steelbook case increases the perceived value to consumers when viewed among other media.' but this was when steelbooks were rare, when you would see a sea of amarays, and one steelbook- the steelbook would stand out. that is where its value arose. the same is not true now, because now, there is only a sea of steelbooks, so they have lost their value.

now collectors see value in steelbooks when they are housed in full slips and come packaged with other extras. this is what makes them stand out in the sea of steelbooks. you can obviously disagree, but the market is talking- most (if not all serious) steelbook collectors are shifting their attention towards these fullslip steelbook packages. these are now the editions that inspire the most attention and are the most sought after.

as i said before, zavvi simply havent caught up with market trend in this respect, and as a result, people 'stoop' to buying these zavvi editions if they cant get their hands on the superior versions being offered elsewhere.
Agreed. And besides, if you strip KimchiDVD's, Film Arena's or Novamedia's Steelbooks from all the goodies, the Steelbooks themselves outshine Zavvi's every time in terms of finish and artwork.

Reactions: levi
Well your not a steelbook collector anymore then, your a trinket collector. The bonus bits offered by the likes of FA and NM are just that Bonuses, zavvi sell just steelbooks for the steelbook collectors, if they started doing bonus trinkety bits there prices would be the same as the likes of FA, and for those of us that only care about the steelbook and not the rest of the junk that comes with it it would suck.

I agree with this.

It's fine for those that want slips and postcards etc. that those versions are available, but I'm just a steelbook collector (and by that I mean I buy the steelbook version for films I really want to own, not just any old film in a steelbook) so added items are no interest to me personally. I don't even keep O-rings on normal DVDs, let alone save the J-cards or keep steelbooks sealed.

There are very few steelbooks that are anything more than just that. Amazon.co.uk, Amazon.de, HMV, Zavvi and so on just offer the standard steelbook version. TBH, that's what most people care about and even then, a lot of them never sell out. It varies title by title, but you get the idea.

With almost every movie getting a steelbook, and that steelbook (or a variation of it) being available all over the world, they really are becoming the new amaray. There's nothing really exclusive or exciting about them, but they are still nicer than a cheap plastic case. In this case, I wouldn't be surpised if Zavvi's version is the best available, at least in terms of content on the discs. I'm more than happy for people to cancel theirs as I missed out.

I'm not even interested in getting the 'best' version (whatever that means), just whichever is cheapest and easiest to get hold of.

I agree with this.

It's fine for those that want slips and postcards etc. that those versions are available, but I'm just a steelbook collector (and by that I mean I buy the steelbook version for films I really want to own, not just any old film in a steelbook) so added items are no interest to me personally. I don't even keep O-rings on normal DVDs, let alone save the J-cards or keep steelbooks sealed.

There are very few steelbooks that are anything more than just that. Amazon.co.uk, Amazon.de, HMV, Zavvi and so on just offer the standard steelbook version. TBH, that's what most people care about and even then, a lot of them never sell out. It varies title by title, but you get the idea.

With almost every movie getting a steelbook, and that steelbook (or a variation of it) being available all over the world, they really are becoming the new amaray. There's nothing really exclusive or exciting about them, but they are still nicer than a cheap plastic case. In this case, I wouldn't be surpised if Zavvi's version is the best available, at least in terms of content on the discs. I'm more than happy for people to cancel theirs as I missed out.

I'm not even interested in getting the 'best' version (whatever that means), just whichever is cheapest and easiest to get hold of.
I rather have the bonus disc with the Steelbook think thats good :)

I think steelbook collectors have come to expect too much from retailers because NM, FA include free bits when in reality they arent really free.

Its absoloutley fine to love the "free" stuff included with a release but if you collect these things for the stuff and not the steelbook then you are a trinket collector, not a steel collector.

Not all retailers will follow in the footsteps of companys like FA or NM and its silly to expect them too.

Simple thing is if you dont like zavvi and the way they do business then dont buy from them but if you continue to moan about them yet still buy steelbooks from them it just makes you a hypocrite.

Now back on topic to the steelbook itself.....

Reactions: lgans316
lmao a steelbook in a numbered full slip with art cards, a booklet and all the rest is still.... a steelbook. it doesn cease to be a steelbook just because its contained in a full slip case. it just means its a more complete package.

this was always going to be the destiny of the steelbook when they became more and more popular. the steelbook isnt enough anymore, it just doesnt convincingly stand alone as the limited/special/collectors edition it was originally created to be. almost every film is now packaged in a steelbook, so now they need to dress the steelbook up to give it that collect-ability that it once had all by itself.

maybe im not able to communicate clearly what i mean, but its as clear as day to me what is happening to steelbooks.

The thing is that a barebones Steelbook is enough for a lot of collectors which is why this is likely to sell out like many new Disney releases from Zavvi.

The premium style release is popular for the same reason Steelbooks were originally popular, they are different from the norm and offer something more for the collector. If every title was released in this style, the market for them would be diminished. I think it is a case of being careful what you wish for.

I agree with this.

i dont know how long you have been collecting steels but back when they first came out it wasnt like that. but yes, that is the way it is now, they are just a little baby step up from amaray. now, chances are, if it just came out in the cinema, it will have a steelbook. its the new standard. it used to be that a steelbook would set your film apart from the amarays... but now, its how do you set your steel apart from the steels... this is where the full slips come in. personally, i like it because it makes the steel 'special again,' it brings back the collect-ability that was getting totally lost

truth be told, i will most likely 'end up' with this version. but wouldnt it be cool if zavvi did offer something long the lines of a full slip or lenticular? i mean, given the choice, i would like the extras. i would like to feel i have the 'best' version. if you arent interested in the extras you could just throw them all away lol

i dont know how long you have been collecting steels but back when they first came out it wasnt like that. but yes, that is the way it is now, they are just a little baby step up from amaray. now, chances are, if it just came out in the cinema, it will have a steelbook. its the new standard. it used to be that a steelbook would set your film apart from the amarays... but now, its how do you set your steel apart from the steels... this is where the full slips come in. personally, i like it because it makes the steel 'special again,' it brings back the collect-ability that was getting totally lost

I've been collecting since whenever the Thor HMV steelbook came out.

You're quite right. The steelbook was the premium edition, now it's just the norm really. Blu-ray in the UK is still a niche market, so almost every movie gets a steelbook as a way of keeping sales alive I imagine. The perceived difference between DVD and Blu-ray hasn't been enough to get many to upgrade. With VHS to DVD it was an easy sell in every respect.

Retailers have to play smart which they're doing really 1 of 2 ways. Either releasing a standard steelbook at a high price, (Zavvi follow this standard mainly) with the odd genuine exclusive, or offering a premium steelbook at an even higher price but with a lower print-run (like Blufans). You do still get HMV which are more reasonably priced but choice of movies is low.

Truly limited editions sell really quickly, but if you're talking a 1000 or so that's no surprise. Most of Zavvi's Disney range has sold out even at 3000, so for catalog titles at a pretty high price that's good going. Same with their Marvel titles which are far more popular but have even higher runs.

That said, I don't agree with statements such as 'you only buy a Zavvi release because you can't get/afford a better version'. I certainly don't. I could get a better version, and I could easily afford it. The point is, I don't care enough about the product to put more time, effort or money into getting it. I buy it, watch it, sling it on a shelf and forget about it.

It would be nice if this actually was a Zavvi exclusive and only Zavvi have whatever artwork they come up with, seeing as all of their other Pixar releases have been exclusive.

It would be nice if this actually was a Zavvi exclusive and only Zavvi have whatever artwork they come up with, seeing as all of their other Pixar releases have been exclusive.

It could well be.

Pixar releases haven't really caught off anywhere else have they? Germany had some, but that was a while ago and they had German writing and titles IIRC.

It could still match the other Zavvi Pixar releases, Monster's University is the only odd one out so far I think. Even Europe's Disney titles match Zavvi's now, with Frozen, Big Hero 6 (which perfectly goes with Zavvi's classic collection) and Cinderella all being identical.

For all Zavvis faults (and there are many) I do love the quality of their Disney/Pixar releases, and feel this will be no exception. Whilst I can see the attraction of "trinkets" included with releases from the likes of FilmArena and Plain Archive, they are of no interest to me whatsoever. Even slipcovers and lenticular magnets are superfluous to my requirements, as I use blu-steels shell covers, which houses the steelbook just perfectly on my shelf. But if it really came down to it, I'd prefer some tangible extras (like the announced bonus disc) than something like a set of art cards I'll barely look at. Each to their own however.